RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC vs. Duke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 07/30/05 8:03 pm    ::: UNC vs. Duke Reply Reply with quote

FYI:

If any of you get Fox Sports Net South, they're replaying the ACC Championship game between Duke and North Carolina. Considering the ESPN options are drag racing and street basketball, it's a good pick, I guess.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 07/31/05 10:28 am    ::: Re: UNC vs. Duke Reply Reply with quote

I hadn't seen this game before.

Despite having seen UNC twice before, Duke was completely befuddled. All they did was react, and never did anything to try to take UNC out of their game. UNC got a lot of points because they duped Duke into sagging, then kicked the ball back to the open perimeter player. UNC got a lot of rebounds- and the resulting break- because Duke didn't keep them off the boards. UNC got a lot of rebounds because Duke tried to force shots. At least twice, Williams drove into traffic and forced a shot when she could have dished to an open perimeter player- given UNC a dose of its own medicine. Currie was a double-edged sword- she scored effectively, but when she had the ball her teammates became afflicted with "Alana" syndrome- they stopped moving and watched Mo' do her thing. Duke's big mistake was trying to play the up-tempo pace that UNC wanted. If they had made UNC play defense- with an actual offensive set, which they seemed to be able to execute at times, blocked out, looked for the cherry-picker when the ball was shot- basically made UNC think- they might have had a shot to win the game. Not a good showing for so late in the season.

~Bill

jimmyk wrote:
FYI:

If any of you get Fox Sports Net South, they're replaying the ACC Championship game between Duke and North Carolina. Considering the ESPN options are drag racing and street basketball, it's a good pick, I guess.

PostPosted: 08/01/05 2:07 am    ::: Re: UNC vs. Duke Reply Reply with quote

Man do I love Erlana larkins and Latta, two of my favorite WCBB players.

PostPosted: 08/05/05 6:17 pm    ::: Re: UNC vs. Duke Reply Reply with quote

[quote="bballjunkee212"]I hadn't seen this game before.

Despite having seen UNC twice before, Duke was completely befuddled. ...
~Bill

/quote]

BBall: Duke's "befuddlement" can pretty much be summed up with:

7 players total and no point guard

With Monique playing point and Wynter Whitley playing the wing, almost nobody was playing the position they spend all year trying to perfect. UNC had extra players at every position and lots and lots of quickness to counter Duke's attempts to execute the offense they'd barely had a chance to practice in the position they were playing on the floor.

But that was then and this is now.

Stay tuned for this year's Duke/UNC barnburners. This year's team will be like Alana's senior year except with experienced post players and backups at all positions, offering promise of ending the season with a victory in Boston.

~rAf

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: