RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A franchise in......Toronto?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/09/08 7:26 am    ::: A franchise in......Toronto? Reply Reply with quote

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2008/03/09/4952141-sun.html

Quote:
If Norm Freedman gets his way, hoops fans will get a chance to watch Anthony Parker and his sister Candace Parker perform in Toronto.

Freedman, whose history with basketball dates back some 35 years, is heading a group of investors interested in bringing a WNBA franchise to play out of the Ricoh Coliseum and the Hershey Centre.

"The prospects are better than 50%,'' Freedman said. "The WNBA is quite positive, and so am I, that a team in Toronto will do well.

sambista

PostPosted: 03/09/08 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rail trip!

PostPosted: 03/09/08 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this idea. (the Toronto idea that is, although the rail trip sounds like fun too)

PostPosted: 03/09/08 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live in Buffalo and would gladly be a season ticket holder. Toronto is soooo much closer than NYC.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/09/08 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they get the bid! They sound determined to get a team. Good luck, Toronto!

PostPosted: 03/09/08 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, this could set off a whole chain of events:

1) The W will have to add a team in the West to balance off the league.

2) There will be an impasse as both expansion teams hold out for the 4th pick in the college draft.

3) Tammy Sutton-Brown will force a trade from Indiana to Toronto so she can be closer to her family.

4) We'll need to have another expansion draft, and everyone will have all the same arguments we had a couple of months ago. Like Liberty fans will argue all over again the merits of Kraay vs Erin. Meanwhile, Toronto will probably take Baranova after Blaze secretly re-signs her.

PostPosted: 03/09/08 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they do -- that would certainly be a nice trip to make (note to self: get that damn passport already).

Good luck to Toronto!!!

PostPosted: 03/09/08 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
I hope they do -- that would certainly be a nice trip to make (note to self: get that damn passport already).

Good luck to Toronto!!!

aw, man, the liberty crew could get into all sorts of trouble on a train . . . can you say club car?

PostPosted: 03/09/08 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Good luck to Toronto!!!

aw, man, the liberty crew could get into all sorts of trouble on a train . . . can you say club car?

having met a number of y'all last summer, i totally agree with your assessment, bibb. Wink

PostPosted: 03/09/08 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hey, hey...more respect scully!!!! Wink

Yeah, we could get in trouble...if anything cause we're too damn loud. Laughing

scullyfu wrote:

having met a number of y'all last summer, i totally agree with your assessment, bibb. Wink[/quote]

PostPosted: 03/09/08 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Wow, this could set off a whole chain of events:
1) The W will have to add a team in the West to balance off the league...

That could happen if Dave King can get enough financing to restart his Colorado Chill team (which had been in the old NWBL) as a WNBA expansion franchise. He tried to do that for the 2008 season, but couldn't get enough investors, so he'll try for the '09 season.

root_thing wrote:
3) Tammy Sutton-Brown will force a trade from Indiana to Toronto so she can be closer to her family...

I wonder if other Canadians in the WNBA (Stacy Dales, Kim Smith) will do likewise?

root_thing wrote:
4) We'll need to have another expansion draft, and everyone will have all the same arguments we had a couple of months ago. Like Liberty fans will argue all over again the merits of Kraay vs Erin. Meanwhile, Toronto will probably take Baranova after Blaze secretly re-signs her.

Elena Baranova is how old by now? Late 30's? I think she's done with the league.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/09/08 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stacey Dales will retire and unretire only to show up at Toronto after promising Chicago that she wanted to be a broadcaster.
And yes, the Liberty crew would probably derail the train before it crossed the border. Geez, I would have hearing impairment if I had to be locked up in a car with both Maggie and Keira. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/09/08 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crap. I'd probably miss the damn train. Embarassed

sambista

PostPosted: 03/09/08 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Stacey Dales will retire and unretire only to show up at Toronto after promising Chicago that she wanted to be a broadcaster.
And yes, the Liberty crew would probably derail the train before it crossed the border. Geez, I would have hearing impairment if I had to be locked up in a car with both Maggie and Keira. Laughing

no worries. we'd hang your a$$ at the end of the train as our rallying flag.

PostPosted: 03/09/08 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yessss, I would love this.

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/10/08 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah you tell'em Bibb! What's w/ the utter lack of respect??? Laughing I don't think there's ONE of us who's not loud, so there...

And don't worry Barrister, we'll lie to you about the departure time. We'll have you there at LEAST an HOUR before...you won't miss that 'train' Smile

sebibb wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

no worries. we'd hang your a$$ at the end of the train as our rallying flag.

PostPosted: 03/10/08 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW!! First Atlanta, now Toronto. Two unlikely candidates for a WNBA franchise. I would have expected the WNBA to expand to the following cities before heading into either market: Kansas City, San Jose, Denver, Dallas, Nashville/Memphis or even Portland and Cleveland again before picking Atlanta & Toronto. As long as the owners are fully committed and have deep pockets I'm all for it but I would still prefer places like Kansas City & Denver(Coloroda Chill) before Toronto.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: