RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Has Been The Player Of The Year? Currie or Augustus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 01/24/05 1:05 am    ::: Who Has Been The Player Of The Year? Currie or Augustus? Reply Reply with quote

I really can't tell.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/24/05 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly believe that the two players have comparable enough stats that in theory I would be willing to let the player with the better overall record determine who wins in my mind. Ridiculously enough, that puts the POY award largely in part into the hands of their teammates.

That is where Sandora Irvin comes in. Her numbers are hard to argue against any competition. This is one of those can't really go wrong years!

I think Augustus has the edge by getting the initial press, which is unfortunate for others.

PostPosted: 01/24/05 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

see who gets their team to do some damage in March, then decide.

and give some thought to Wecker, McCarville, Batteast, Lyttle. All have numbers that deserve notice -- not a two-person race yet.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/24/05 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
and give some thought to Wecker, McCarville, Batteast, Lyttle. All have numbers that deserve notice -- not a two-person race yet.

In my opinion, it's a three-person race. I really like Seimone, however, I just think that Monique and Sandora have simply had better seasons. Their statistics, on both sides of the ball, are very impressive. Although TCU has some puzzling losses, they have some very nice wins, and have been ranked so far this season. Monique and Sandora have been averaging what they have been against the very best teams in the country, which isn't always easy. The two of them just have had exceptional seasons, and if it were up to me, I'd have a Co-POY award with them as the recipients. I still think Seimone is first team AA, but I think that Monique and Sandora are the cream of the crop this year.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/24/05 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey BBall, we'll listen to ya, unlike another site where I saw you got your head torn off again! Rolling Eyes

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/24/05 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Hey BBall, we'll listen to ya, unlike another site where I saw you got your head torn off again! Rolling Eyes

Thank you very much. I appreciate that Smile .

It's the same person everytime over there. I don't know why, but the same person keeps nagging me...and it's f'n annoying Evil or Very Mad .

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/24/05 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

In my opinion, it's a three-person race.

I am, as you all know, a rank homer, so I'll make my case that McCarville should at least be considered.

Here are stats:

Points per game:
Irvin: 20.9
Augustus: 20.0
Currie: 17.9
McCarville: 15.6

Field Goal %:
Augustus: 56.5
McCarville: 51.7
Currie: 48.1
Irvin: 46.0

Rebounds per game:
Irvin: 12.7
McCarville: 10.2
Currie: 7.6
Augustus: 4.8

Assists per game:
McCarville: 4.1
Currie: 3.5
Augustus: 2.3
Irvin: 2.3

Blocks per game:
Irvin: 4.6
McCarville: 2.5
Currie: 0.6
Augustus: .5

Steals per game:
McCarville: 2.7
Currie: 2.4
Irvin: 2.4
Augustus: 1.7

You have to make some adjustment for whom they're playing. Irvin plays in a far weaker conference than the other three. At the end of the year, Duke and LSU will have SOSs in the top 5. Minnesota will be around 10-15. TCU will be something like 30-50.

Augustus is the best pure scorer in basketball, and she is a joy to watch. But she often doesn't do much else out there.

Irvin is an amazing shot blocker and rebounder. But she plays against weaker opponents. And scoring 21 ppg is less impressive when you're only shooting 46%.

Currie is the best all-around player. Right now, she's probably got my vote.

Janel is on a borderline top-10 team. And she may have less help than any of the other three players. Unlike any of the other three, she leads her team in every category.

Again, the most important part of the season is yet to be played. All these players need to produce wins against tough teams to prove themselves worthy.

But Janel should at least be part of the conversation.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/24/05 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like Janel. I just don't think she deserves it this year. TCU lives and dies by Sandora. If she's not playing well, or out on the court, they suffer...and badly. While Minnesota experiences setbacks when Janel isn't on the floor, they can play without her.

Sandora is averaging 5.3 more points than Janel, 2.5 more rebounds, and 2.1 more blocked shots. While TCU doesn't play the toughest schedule in the country, they have beaten UCLA, Georgia, and Michigan St. (who I seem to remember Minnesota losing to.) I think Janel is one of the top players in the country, but in my opinion, she's not one of the Top 3.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/24/05 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the mention of All American teams, it seems we are begging the question... who would be an All-American right now?

First Team

C - Sandora Irvin
F - McCarville
F - Augustus
G - Wiggins
G - Currie

Second Team

C - Young
F - Batteast
F - Wecker
G - Wright
G - Jackson

PostPosted: 01/24/05 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
I really like Janel. I just don't think she deserves it this year. TCU lives and dies by Sandora. If she's not playing well, or out on the court, they suffer...and badly. While Minnesota experiences setbacks when Janel isn't on the floor, they can play without her.

Sandora is averaging 5.3 more points than Janel, 2.5 more rebounds, and 2.1 more blocked shots. While TCU doesn't play the toughest schedule in the country, they have beaten UCLA, Georgia, and Michigan St. (who I seem to remember Minnesota losing to.) I think Janel is one of the top players in the country, but in my opinion, she's not one of the Top 3.

Minnesota can play reasonably well without Janel. Without her, they'd probably be a mid-Big Ten, borderline tournament team. But when she's on the floor, everything runs through her. On defense, she has to guard the biggest opponent, plus she has to protect the basket when our sometimes-slow guards get beat. On offense, she creates almost every shot, sometimes for herself, more often for other players with her passing and screening

Irvin is better in PPG, rebounds, and blocks. Janel is better in FG%, assists, steals, and strength of schedule. Minnesota has 3 losses; TCU has 6 with a weaker schedule (including one to Arkansas State, whom I seem to remember Minnesota destroying by 30-some points).

I would guess that Sandora is better in terms of raw physical dominance and athleticism. I would guess that Janel is better in terms of her passing ability and finesse. But frankly, I don't see Sandora play enough to be able to compare their games intelligently.

By the numbers right now, it's a close call.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/24/05 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and again, more generally, I think we should keep this conversation open about other players. Augustus has gotten the most press, so half the country just assumes she's the POY. But, as of today, I don't think she deserves it over Currie.

Moreover:

Sophia Young is incredible. 17.1 PPG and 9.8 RPG for a top-10 team.

Wecker has been slowed by injury, but she is a winner, as she proved again on Saturday. 20.4 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 3.3 APG. And her numbers will probably improve as she goes through the season. She is a poor man's Katie Smith. If she can carry her team to a Big 12 title, or if she can take them deep into the tournament, she should be right up there among the top three or four names.

Another winner: Batteast. She seems to have some off nights, but still she's got 19.0 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 3.1 APG. Right now, I put her below everyone else mentioned in this thread, but if she puts together more performances like yesterday's against Rutgers, she deserves consideration as well.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/24/05 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do like Janel. I think she is a great basketball player, as well as a great person. I feel she is one of the Top 5 players this year, but I just don't think she's in the Top 3 in regards to POY award consideration. She does deserve to be looked at, but I just think Sandora, Monique, and Seimone are the frontrunners at this time. That can obviously change as conference play heats up and we enter into the NCAA Tournament. All I know is that you can't go wrong with any of the players that have been mentioned in this thread, as well as others, because they're just so good.

So far, my All-American Teams are:

First Team:

Candice Wiggins
Monique Currie
Seimone Augustus
Janel McCarville
Sandora Irvin

Second Team:

Tanisha Wright
Temeka Johnson
Jacqueline Batteast
Kendra Wecker
Sophia Young

Honorable Mention:

Jamie Carey
Dionnah Jackson
Dee-Dee Wheeler
Nikki Blue
Jessalyn Deveny
Jessica Davenport
Tasha Humphrey
Sancho Lyttle
Khara Smith
Tan White

All Freshmen Team:

Candice Wiggins
Wanisha Smith
Matee Ajavon
Erlana Larkins
Tasha Humphrey

icey23

PostPosted: 01/24/05 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Temeka Johnson should be on first team. She the best PG in the Nation.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/24/05 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like Temeka. I do. I know it's weird seeing a freshman on the first team list, but I really think Candice deserves it. When I've seen her play, she doesn't play like a freshman. She knows what to do in order to win the game. It was a tough call between Temeka and Candice, and I can see arguments for either one to be on the first team.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/24/05 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great discussion, top to bottom. I agree with virtually all the points made here. I especially agree that Currie, Augustus and Irvin are on a tier above the rest. Mo Currie has the edge right now due to the stiff competition she's played against, and her great all-around game. Her team came up short tonight against UNC, the team that beat UConn to start the season. But Mo lead the team back into contention after being down 15 in the second half by getting the rebounds, making the defensive stops and hitting the jumpers.

I want to see Seimone making some tough defensive plays before she gets my vote for POY. I agree she's got the smoothest, money offense in the women's game. But she almost disappears on defense. The game isn't just about scoring points. It's about scoring MORE than the other team. When Seimone starts making some defensive stops against great players, then start talking her up. Basically, I'm talking to the media now, who have been ready to coronate Seimone since the opening tip of the season. I've noticed a slight change lately, though, with more mention going to Currie, Irvin, Batteast, McCarville and Wiggins (leader for FOY).

~rAf

~rAf
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/25/05 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree completely about Seimone's defense (from what I've seen -- a few games each year). And even on offense, she's not a great passer, and sometimes stands around without the ball. But goddam, that girl can score at will once she gets it.

Speaking of standing around -- Mo actually lost a couple points in my book last night. 7-for-21, 0 assists, 5 turnovers. Not a great game. She made a valiant run in the second half, but in the first half, I kept wondering where she was. Lots of time without the ball just standing on the perimeter.

But hey, it's just one game. And some credit belongs to NC defense, which did a nice job doubling and trapping her.

icey23

PostPosted: 01/25/05 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As and LSU fan, Mone doesn't play alot of D but she does get big steals tho. Mone is real good with the ball no one can stop her. The girl has only made 1 3 pointer all year and still avgs 20ppg.

wadethered

PostPosted: 01/25/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My All-Americans

First Team:
Seimone Augustus
Kendra Wecker
Janel McCarville
Sandora Irvin
Monique Currie

Second Team:
Jacqueline Batteast
Temeka Johnson
Tanisha Wright
Tiffany Jackson
Candice Wiggins

Third Team:
Dionnah Jackson
Tamara James
Jessalyn Deveny
Sophia Young
Sancho Lyttle

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/26/05 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Mo Currie...7-for-21, 0 assists, 5 turnovers."

Agreed this was not a typical Monique performance. Her teammates were not moving well, they were not finishing plays even when the pass got through. Mo finally stepped out of playing team ball (which wasn't working) and played "Mo-ball" which brought Duke close enough to potentially win the game. Mo didn't play her game but the rest of the team stunk it up and almost took Mo down with them. Instead, Monique lifted the team back in the second, close to victory after the team scored a total of 13 pts in the first half.'

~rAf

~rAf
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/26/05 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here are some efficiency statistics for some of the leading candidates. Wecker and Irvin probably look the best by these numbers, but also have played the weakest schedules.

http://womenshoops.blogspot.com/2005/01/lets-take-look-at-efficiency-ratings.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: