RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mike T to check out the Aussies!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/19/05 11:21 am    ::: Mike T to check out the Aussies! Reply Reply with quote

Coach Mike Thibault went into the off-season saying he and McWilliams-Franklin, 34, shared an understanding that both parties wanted another one-year deal. The core label prevented other teams from trying to lure McWilliams-Franklin, a four-time All-Star.

"This is procedural," said Thibault, who leaves today for a scouting trip in Australia. "You have to do these things to protect yourself."

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/basketball/hc-sun0119.artjan19,1,680886.story?coll=hc-headlines-basketball

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/19/05 5:30 pm    ::: Re: Mike T to check out the Aussies! Reply Reply with quote

I wonder who is he looking at. The Sun don't really need Snelly (though the scoring off the bench could be useful); maybe it's Hollie Grima? Jacinta Hamilton? Both of them are skilled 4s. Laura Summerton isn't out of the question either. The Sun need centres though and there's no promising prospect in that area at the moment in the WNBL, though I guess you could have Hollie play 5 (she's really a 4).
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/19/05 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegs:

What about Shelly Hammonds? I know she is playing for the Perth Lynx, well if that is what you want to call it...

I don't know anything about her game, but she did establish herself fairly well in the beginning of her career...I mean, AIS ain't too bad on a basketball resume.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/19/05 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shelley's had a pretty good year, considering the circumstances. She's a WNBA prospect but probably needs a year or two at her proper position (the wing). The things people do for love! (Shelley moved to Perth because her b/f is a basketball player there)
hellcat24

PostPosted: 01/25/05 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike was sitting with former Lynx coach Murray Tresder who knows his stuff. I'm sure he would have been telling him to look at the Hammonds in Sydney who was surrounded by good players not the one playing for the Lynx.

Shelley's numbers are down, but the Lynx basically have no other big stars so teams can get away with double teaming her cause it aint like no one else is gonna nail their shots! Laughing Had Tully returned, or the team signed Jodie Datson when they had the chance, it would have been a different story. They are suffering as their best players are Hammonds and Brincat, and their point guards are all terrible.

Anyways back on topic, I got the chance to talk to Mike myself, and he did list Shelley as one of the players he was down here to watch. He was also interested in Snell, Grima and Wilson, and is going to be in attendance in Adelaide and Canberra. Quite the trip, he took a five hour flight from Melbourne to Perth just for a single game, at least he got to see Snell make history. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: