RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lleyton Hewitt and Alicia Molik into Australian Open QFs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 01/24/05 7:48 am    ::: Lleyton Hewitt and Alicia Molik into Australian Open QFs Reply Reply with quote

Lleyton Hewitt is an annoying little git but his performance today was something special. He may be a prick but he's a resilient one and thrives on pressure. I'm more impressed with Alicia Molik who seems to be taking the expectations of the whole country rather calmly. We haven't had a Top 10 female player since the mid 1980s and no woman has made the Australian Open quarter finals since 1988! She didn't outplay Venus by much but held her nerve on key points. Venus was her wild self with forehands spraying everywhere. I think Alicia has a great chance of beating Lindsay Davenport in the quarters and her serve is one of the best in the game today.

Oh yeah, Maria Sharapova is *the* most annoying player in tennis (makes Hewitt look like an angel). Her high pitched squealing coupled with bad interview manner (honey, stop giggling) - ugh! She's not even that good looking (boy some straight men have become desperate). Impressive ground strokes though.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/24/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sharapova's grunts are really annoying, I can't watch her games, I think Monica Seles was less annoying. And Hewitt has heart, if not class. I still think there's no one who can beat Federer at this point. He's been cruising, but his pool isn't really hard. As for the women, your local girl will have to beat a lot of Russians to get to the title lol...

PostPosted: 01/24/05 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, for those of us here in the NY area, the matches have just begun, but seeing as how I know who won already, guess there's no point in watching! Please try to keep results, etc, out of the headlines, I was really looking forward to the Williams/Molik match. Crying or Very sad

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/24/05 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Sharapova's grunts are really annoying, I can't watch her games, I think Monica Seles was less annoying. And Hewitt has heart, if not class. I still think there's no one who can beat Federer at this point. He's been cruising, but his pool isn't really hard. As for the women, your local girl will have to beat a lot of Russians to get to the title lol...

Maria has actually toned down the volume of her grunts this year. I definitely notice a big difference from now and last year's Aussie Open. Too bad, I kind of liked the old grunts, lol.

That and it was actually because of her infamous grunts that I first noticed her over 2 years ago. I still remember the local sports radio program jokingly superimposed Maria's grunts over another famous men's player's grunts, making it sound like, well... Nevermind! Wink After that, I started making a point to watch her on TV and in seeing her play, I knew she'd be a star. So it wasn't that much of a suprise to me when she won Wimbledon. Too bad they don't have a women's tennis VGM! Wink

Grunt if you like Women's Tennis!

Now there's a bumper sticker idea... Idea

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/24/05 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Grunt if you like Women's Tennis!

Not quite as bad as the Kournikova ad for sports bras...Anna, standing in a bra, with the tagline, "Because only the balls should bounce."

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/24/05 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Monica Seles' grunts weren't as high pitched. As I said, Sharapova squeals.

As for the Russian ladies, well Myskina and Dementieva lost in the 4th round so there are no more Russians in Alicia's half of the draw. Sharapova and Kuznetsova face off in the quarters in the other half of the draw (the winner plays S Williams/Mauresmo).

Sorry for spoiling the result of others but we haven't had a good womens player for almost 20 years. You can still watch the match (I could certainly rewatch it Wink )
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/24/05 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

Monica Seles' grunts weren't as high pitched. As I said, Sharapova squeals.

Gee, I'm watching her game right now...on mute.

PostPosted: 01/24/05 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My dream final would be Molik and Sharapova - with Alicia blasting Maria off the court Very Happy
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/24/05 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now we're getting Amelie Mauresmo faltering against Serena Williams live Shocked I guess Screamin' Sharapova's coming on tape delay. Go Maria, lol.

Can't get enough of Mary Joe Fernandez... She's hilarious Razz

Last edited by Admiral_Needa on 01/24/05 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/24/05 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sharapova's game ended already and I now am getting Williams vs. Mauresmo. I can't believe Serena's listed as weighing 61kg. Come on, that's almost my weight and I'm half her size. She's at least 10 kgs heavier than that.

PostPosted: 01/24/05 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Sharapova's game ended already and I now am getting Williams vs. Mauresmo. I can't believe Serena's listed as weighing 61kg. Come on, that's almost my weight and I'm half her size. She's at least 10 kgs heavier than that.

My guess is that ESPN recorded Serena's weight when she first became pro and haven't changed it since. By comparison, 5'10" Erin Thorn is supposedly 2kgs heavier than the equally tall Serena.

From the TV listings, it appears we're only getting this and the Agassi/Federer match Shocked And I was so looking forward to taking that hearing test!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: