Board Junkies Forums

Trade Katie Smith?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Just for kicks, how about Connecticut? Brooke Wyckoff and either Le'Coe Willingham or Jen D/Jamie Carey?

I don't see the sun sitting Douglas or Sales for Smith.

She would be part of the three person rotation with them, taking Wyckoff's spot. If anything, she would reduce some of the midseason playing time for those two, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for a team trying to go deep in the playoffs. Smith would have to come off the bench.

I don't think it's enough compensation though. Pilight?

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Griffith didn't say he was actively looking to trade Smith, only that he would listen to offers. Given the W's history of deadline day blockbusters, I wouldn't expect Smith to be anywhere but Minnie the rest of this season.

yeah, that's absolutely true.

It was really like after the game, talking to the reporter, something like this probably happened.

Roger: That was terrible. I'm really frustrated. We need to make some changes, maybe shuffle the lineup or look for a trade.

Tim: what sort of trade would you have in mind?

Roger: I don't know. We will start calling around and see if we can find something that would make sense, see what the options are.

Tim: would you consider trading Katie?

Roger: we will consider any options. I won't take anything off the table.

That doesn't mean a ton, and it doesn't mean that they would really consider trading her, much less that such a deal is at all likely, this year or ever. Still, even the fact that he would say that much is a sign that management really does not like what it sees on the floor.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was why I dismissed Conn from consideration. Smith as a benchie is nine million pounds of overkill, and would cost them more than they would gain.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well MIN needs a good PG and a decent SG to fill Katie's absence. That would point to a trade surrounding a lottery pick, as no one is going to give up an established high-grade PG. With that, PHO and SASS do not need SGs, especially one that just basically said that she's retiring in about 4 years so she can finish dental school by 40.

I remember that Thibault asked for '4 starters' for Whalen, which probably meant Smith, Williams/Svet and their 2 draft picks. In other words, Thibault had no intention of trading Whalen Razz GMs always play those games with other GMs...

boldenfan

PostPosted: 07/25/05 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota should get Haynie. She's turning out to be a good back up for TP. Well ok, I'm just being selfish, I really like Haynie as a player, and Minnesota does need a PG.

I do think people are jumping the gun on this trade. Of course the LFO will listen to all offers, they have to. I would be surprised if there was a trade with the Lynx.

Yeah my nerves are raw and your wearin' thin. You won't play me again. I'm not a freak show, eat crow kinda thing. I can suck you up, or spit you out, so take your best swing. I'm gonna jump right off of this sinking ship, are you feeling me yet?
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/25/05 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boldenfan wrote:
Minnesota should get Haynie. She's turning out to be a good back up for TP. Well ok, I'm just being selfish, I really like Haynie as a player, and Minnesota does need a PG.

I do think people are jumping the gun on this trade. Of course the LFO will listen to all offers, they have to. I would be surprised if there was a trade with the Lynx.

Katie for Haynie? Has a nice rhyme to it... Razz But with Haynie, there is a chance she might be left off the protected list, along with a few others... So if she then went to CHI, CHI might be willing to trade her for something less than Katie. Or maybe SAC would leave Ticha off the list to save a spot and just try to resign her... then MIN could compete in free agency and get her without giving up Katie.

Also, both SAC and MIN have a lot of pretty good backups that will be left off the protected list, so the trade will essentially have to boil down to a 1 for 1 to make it worthwhile. For example, if MIN trades Katie for Haynie, Brunson, a pick and Newton, MIN will have to expose some from the list, making it less of an equal trade.

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/25/05 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Or maybe SAC would leave Ticha off the list to save a spot

isn`t Ticha a UFA and not eligible for protection

PostPosted: 07/25/05 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
Quote:
Or maybe SAC would leave Ticha off the list to save a spot

isn`t Ticha a UFA and not eligible for protection

I'm not sure that they've ever publicly disclosed what kind of deal Ticha signed this summer. We know Yo signed a 2 yr deal, but nothing has been said about Ticha. I would think that Whiz would have taken the expansion draft into consideration, but we can't be sure. Confused

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/25/05 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think that Whiz would have taken the expansion draft into consideration, but we can't be sure.

that`s the point, he wouldn`t have to sign her or protect her because UFA`S are exempt from the the expansion draft.

yes?...Cam?...Pilight?

PostPosted: 07/25/05 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
Quote:
I would think that Whiz would have taken the expansion draft into consideration, but we can't be sure.

that`s the point, he wouldn`t have to sign her or protect her because UFA`S are exempt from the the expansion draft.

yes?...Cam?...Pilight?

That's the big IF though. Did she sign more than a 1 yr deal? If she didn't, she's a UFA, no need to protect her. Can't if we wanted to. I wouldn't see her going anywhere else anyway.

If she did, we HAVE to protect her. You just don't lose a player like that to expansion.

So, did Whiz take the expansion draft into consideration and give her a 1 yr deal? Or did he sign her to a multi-year like Yo, forcing them to protect her?

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/25/05 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So, did Whiz take the expansion draft into consideration and give her a 1 yr deal? Or did he sign her to a multi-year like Yo, forcing them to protect her?

gotcha....it would be nice if we had some info on the length of contracts, etc......no need to know all the intimate details

PostPosted: 07/26/05 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

everybody is looking at trading players, why not look at trading coaches. maybe these coaches haven't got what it takes to get this team on track. look at how other players that minny have got rid of are playing so well in other teams. look at the big picture not just on who you don't like . whalen is a great player but she won't be coming anytime soon so build a bridge and get over it.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 07/26/05 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jrh wrote:
everybody is looking at trading players, why not look at trading coaches. maybe these coaches haven't got what it takes to get this team on track. look at how other players that minny have got rid of are playing so well in other teams. look at the big picture not just on who you don't like . whalen is a great player but she won't be coming anytime soon so build a bridge and get over it.

No one said anything about trading Whalen or her coming back any time soon.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html

Last edited by gopherfan on 07/26/05 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/26/05 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
look at how other players that minny have got rid of are playing so well in other teams.

What players are you referring too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: