RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/25/05 2:12 pm    ::: Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It's been a few years, but it doesn't matter. Inmates, co-workers, even folks at the grocery store hear the name "Redd" and instantly recognize her name.

"But it never stops," she said. "It's kind of funny because since I've been in the correctional industry, the inmates are like, 'Yeah, you played hoops.' Really, I try to keep a low profile, and it hasn't worked out so well."

Redd, 27, has worked at her current position for 10 months and wants to make a transition to juvenile detention. Yesterday, she was back at KeyArena as speaker for the Business and Professional Women/USA Girl Power Day.

Redd let her audience know how the law led to opportunities for her in basketball.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattlestorm/2002398860_stormglance24.html

Imagine what it will be like when Shaq O'Neal becomes a sheriff... Razz

I believe she used to live in the SF Bay Area too...

1carol

PostPosted: 07/25/05 5:11 pm    ::: Re: Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention Reply Reply with quote

The Master-baiter finaly reeled me in. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE Exclamation

Admiral.......
Can you explain what was wrong with the original title of the article Question
Quote:
Storm Notebook:Officer Redd still turns heads; game at a glance
Why do you find it necessary to change a title that flatters a person to one that implies negativity Question
Quote:
quote=Admiral: Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention

You need to use highlighting for some complimentary parts (yours green - mine red)
Quote:
Redd, 27, has worked at her current position for 10 months and wants to make a transition to juvenile detention. Yesterday, she was back at KeyArena as speaker for the Business and Professional Women/USA Girl Power Day.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattlestorm/2002398860_stormglance24.html

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/25/05 5:24 pm    ::: Re: Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm.... Laughing

OK, I'll bite. Arrow

Q: Who is Officer Redd?
A: Former Storm G Jamie Redd Idea

"still turns heads"? Why is she turning heads? Not descriptive. Idea

"to Juvenile Detention"? JD is for people under 18. Any former W player is going to be older than that. Idea

"Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention"

= Former Storm G Jamie Redd is transitioning to juvenile detention. Idea

"Former Storm G Jamie Redd is Transitioning to Juvenile Detention"

= Re: Former Storm G Jamie Redd is Transitioning to Juvenile D Idea

1carol

PostPosted: 07/26/05 1:13 am    ::: Re: Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm.... Laughing
OK, I'll bite. Arrow
Q: Who is Officer Redd?
A: Former Storm G Jamie Redd Idea
"still turns heads"? Why is she turning heads? Not descriptive. Idea
"to Juvenile Detention"? JD is for people under 18. Any former W player is going to be older than that. Idea
"Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention"
= Former Storm G Jamie Redd is transitioning to juvenile detention. Idea
"Former Storm G Jamie Redd is Transitioning to Juvenile Detention"
= Re: Former Storm G Jamie Redd is Transitioning to Juvenile D Idea

You answered my 1st question: Reporter's title wasn't descriptive enough for you

Please answer this: Why do you find it necessary to change the title of an article whether negative or positive when it breaks the rules of journalism?

Ask any reporter & they will tell you 3 principles of journalism. The title of a story tells the reader what the basic story is about. The 1st paragraph briefly encompasses the entire story. Each paragraph after that just fills in more detail. 1 sentence towards the end, mentions juvenile detention, as her possible future, while everything above is about her still being recognized for her former basketball skills. The 2 paragraphs below it are about basketball, Title IX, and college scholarship.

Quote:
Re: Former Storm G Jamie Redd to Juvenile Detention

Your title, above, only points out 1 detail, in 1 sentence, of the story.

Quote:
Redd, 27, has worked at her current position for 10 months and wants to make a transition to juvenile detention.

BTW:
Officer Redd has not transitioned -- She wants to transition.

Therefore the original title *Officer Redd still turns heads* is appropriate in principle due to the article being about her current recognition as a former basketball player. The fact she was at *Key Arena* as a speaker, in the context of the rest of the article, *infers* her speaking about basketball, Title IX, and scholarship.
I think it's truly great that Jamie Redd, who has recevied the benefits of Title IX, is giving back to the community of professional women and girls, through her speaking and working with law enforcement .

This was quite lenghthy and all that I will say on this forum. I'll read answers, but won't respond again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: