RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fever a surprise?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/24/05 9:49 am    ::: Fever a surprise? Reply Reply with quote

I just looked again at the pre-season predictions, did a tally, and here are the predictions about where the Fever would end the season in the East:

2nd or 3rd -- one person
4th -- two people
5th -- six people
6th -- ten people
unspecified, but not in play-offs - four people

In all, that means that of 23 people who predicted Indy's finish, 20 of them predicted a finish lower than 4th place. Brian Winters was often mentioned as a reason.

There's a lot of basketball left to play, and the Fever could still miss the playoffs, but right now, they're 2nd in the East with one of the best records in the league.

I'm curious about what people think is the difference between what they expected and what has materialized. Thoughts?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/24/05 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good question. I still can't explain it!
They just... win... somehow.
There's obviously some good defense going on in Feverland, because they don't seem to be a particularly high scoring team, especially with Catchings well below her best in that department.
Good D, good chemistry, good coaching?

PostPosted: 07/24/05 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Vandy, YOU tell me! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/24/05 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I blame the coaching ...

The Fever's defense may be the best in the league, or at least close to it. Catchings sets the tone, but the whole team is playing aggressive, coordinated defense. It's not just a matter of some good on-ball defenders.

Also, the team's passing is very impressive to me. You can't get a good feel for that on TV, but the passing and off-the-ball movement to set up the passes is stellar.

Both of these things are coaching. Winters has been roundly criticized on this and other boards, but after a rocky first season, he and Dunn are doing a greeat job, and IMO he should win COY at this point.

You also have to credit Kelly Krauskopf for putting the team together. Almost half of the team is new this year, and Tully and Jurgita are looking like some of the best off-season signings the league saw. At the time, I don't think anyone suspected that.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 07/24/05 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

The Fever's defense may be the best in the league, or at least close to it. Catchings sets the tone, but the whole team is playing aggressive, coordinated defense. It's not just a matter of some good on-ball defenders.

Also, the team's passing is very impressive to me. You can't get a good feel for that on TV, but the passing and off-the-ball movement to set up the passes is stellar.

Both of these things are coaching. Winters has been roundly criticized on this and other boards, but after a rocky first season, he and Dunn are doing a greeat job, and IMO he should win COY at this point.

You also have to credit Kelly Krauskopf for putting the team together. Almost half of the team is new this year, and Tully and Jurgita are looking like some of the best off-season signings the league saw. At the time, I don't think anyone suspected that.

Well said, Matty.

I'm finally warming up to Winters. Recently, I felt that the close wins shouldn't have been so close and that "wrong" players were on the court in the clutch. but I read an interview w/ Winters and he talked about defense being the key to winning - that's my kind of coach.

You're absolutely right that one has to be there to see the passing and sense of teamwork the Fever have.
If Bill can get that out of the Shock they'd be in first place.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/24/05 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I agree also, PUmatty. I remember people going crazy and saying how Brian Winters is a horrible draft person. He drafted Hoffman last year and White this year. Many people were skeptical about Hoffman but look at her now. Shes becoming a great post player. Brian Winters might win coach of the year if Indiana can stay in second or even get closer to Connecticut.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 07/24/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:

I agree also, PUmatty. I remember people going crazy and saying how Brian Winters is a horrible draft person. He drafted Hoffman last year and White this year. Many people were skeptical about Hoffman but look at her now. Shes becoming a great post player. Brian Winters might win coach of the year if Indiana can stay in second or even get closer to Connecticut.

We'll see in the next few weeks. The Fever's schedule won't be easy - most of the remaining games are on the road.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/24/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I don't know about that. I am still FAR from sold on Hoffman -- I find a lot of me hoping we protect DJ over her in the dispersal. However, Winters doesn't do the drafting. Kelly Krauskopf is the GM, and while I am sure Winters, Dunn and Plank have input, she makes the final decision.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 07/24/05 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd hate to lose DJ, but I'd protect Hoffman over her.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/24/05 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. Couple of other thoughts . . .

For one, the only player on the Fever roster who arrived after the beginning of training camp was Jurgita Streimikyte, who arrived around May 10. As short as the preseason is, I think the extra time to learn to work together as teammates is good.

For another, I don't think you can over-state the importance of Tully Bevilaqua. Besides the obvious benefits of having a veteran point guard and freeing up Kelly Miller, she also brings a sense of buoyancy and light-heartedness. Of course that's fun for the fans, but it also helps keep the team loose. Jenni Benningfield contributes to that, too, and I'm confident that her attitude and work ethic have made a difference in practice.

Of course, Tan White has been a great addition to the team, too. Although she doesn't start and hasn't been completely consistent (she is a rookie, after all), having that explosive a scorer coming off the bench is definitely a good thing.

In general, it seems to me that the Fever management -- not sure whether it's more the GM or the coaching staff or both -- seems to be more deliberate in their personnel decisions than some teams are, and I think it might be paying off. Ebony Hoffman is definitely coming along. She might not be "there" yet, but she's definitely getting better and better. Now that she's had some time to adjust, so is Steimikyte, and her teammates have been doing a great job of getting her the ball where she wants it.

Then there's that wierd statistic -- last year, when Catchings scored in single digits, the Fever was 1-6 (I think). This year so far, they're 6-0. Figure that one out, and then you'll probably have the answer.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked the Fever to finish last. I was not impressed with Winters last year, nor in his NBA coaching stints.

I certainly wouldn't have expected Indy to do well with Catch being hit or miss and Natalie Williams playing like she's half retired already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: