RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Suns reacquire full ownership of Mercury

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/18/05 3:08 pm    ::: Suns reacquire full ownership of Mercury Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/release_050118.html

PostPosted: 01/18/05 3:36 pm    ::: Re: Suns reacquire full ownership of Mercury Reply Reply with quote

Those two, in the short time they were involved with the Mercury, helped put the organization in the right direction.

: )

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/18/05 3:40 pm    ::: Re: Suns reacquire full ownership of Mercury Reply Reply with quote

And in a related story, Abe Pollin has announced that the Washington Sports and Entertainment has bought the New York Liberty.

Pollin was quoted as saying, "The Mystics have owned the Liberty for quite some time now. It was time we put it in writing."

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 01/18/05 4:05 pm    ::: Re: Suns reacquire full ownership of Mercury Reply Reply with quote

Sorry Slovy...I don't recall a time where the Mystakes owned ANYTHING much less the Libs Smile

Slovydal wrote:
And in a related story, Abe Pollin has announced that the Washington Sports and Entertainment has bought the New York Liberty.

Pollin was quoted as saying, "The Mystics have owned the Liberty for quite some time now. It was time we put it in writing."

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/18/05 5:18 pm    ::: Re: Suns reacquire full ownership of Mercury Reply Reply with quote

LOL! I know, I just like messing with Liberty fans.

Now I'm going back over to the "other board" to mess with a Mystics fan...

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/18/05 5:45 pm    ::: good news? bad news? no news? Reply Reply with quote

What does this mean for the Merc's fan relations? Will last year's improvements stick around? The new Suns owners must care about the Mercury or they wouldn't have bothered, right? Or did they want to insulate themselves from criticism (or potential legal troubles) should things go badly with the Merc's finances? How will the former minority owners stay involved, if they do stay involved?

Looks unfortunate at first glance. Hope I'm wrong.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/18/05 6:16 pm    ::: Re: good news? bad news? no news? Reply Reply with quote

I'm optomistically (sp?) taking it as meaning that the new owners are enthusiastic about the Mercury and want complete ownership to simplify running the organization.

mb

PostPosted: 01/18/05 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here's what I posted at GotNext:

Quote:
Let us not get ahead of ourselves here.

My optimistic spin to follow:

While we are sad to see Anne and Kathy go, they had say in the matter.
It may be a good sign that Robert Sarver wants to retain control of the Mercury. He has truly embraced the Suns and has infused energy into the fanbase.

His business is basketball...he will now have a team in both winter and summer. Staffing for the Mercury has actually been increased.

This was a business deal that did not happen. If one recalls the original deal...they invested for a 10 percent share of the team with "sweat equity" to earn them an eventual 25% share.

Mr. Sarver saw the value in the team and bought them out. Perhaps, in the future, they will have an opportunity to gather investors and purchase the team.

Anne and Kathy are to be commended for their efforts, yet it is certain they would not want this to read as a preemptive obituary for the team

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/18/05 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The increased staffing is a great sign. I feel better already.

mb

PostPosted: 01/19/05 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seth's job appears safe...

Tribune article:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=34961

Republic article:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/mercury/articles/0118merc-ON.html

mb

PostPosted: 01/19/05 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on the story:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0119mercury19.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: