RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

charde houston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 01/16/05 12:22 pm    ::: charde houston Reply Reply with quote

Charde Houston scored a career-high 20 points and Jessica Moore added 19 to lead Connecticut to a 73-57 victory over Villanova last night in Storrs, Conn.

. . . . .

It was the fifth straight double-digit game for Houston, a freshman, who owns the California girls' scoring record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/16/sports/ncaabasketball/16women.html?oref=login

haven't got to see many games this season, but this freshman - wow.

PostPosted: 01/16/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Houston is, without a doubt, the most talented player, at least offensively, ever to play at UConn. She is not all-everything like Taurasi, but as a pure scoring machine, she is incredible. If she played on a team that was more likely to let her just run wild she would undoubtedly score 30+ just about every game. If she were a guy, she would be headed to the pro's this year.

Everyone will be able to see her Monday when Texas plays in Hartford (ESPN2).

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/16/05 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's the best scoring machine UConn has had. Diana was the best offensive player UConn has ever had (points & assists). Charde has great moves, and is virtually unguardable.

My one complaint about Charde is that she travels...quite a bit. She has happy feet most of the time she drives to the basket. She isn't called for it, but you can see it.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/16/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
She's the best scoring machine UConn has had. Diana was the best offensive player UConn has ever had (points & assists). Charde has great moves, and is virtually unguardable.

My one complaint about Charde is that she travels...quite a bit. She has happy feet most of the time she drives to the basket. She isn't called for it, but you can see it.

That's the way the guys play, and the women's game is heading in that direction. I find it annoying as well, and I expect her to be called for it, but she isn't...so I won't complain.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/16/05 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be negative. I really like Charde. It's just that I don't want the women's game to head in the direction of the men's game, because I just enjoy the women's game so much. If they don't call the "happy feet" of players, that's just continuing to steer WCBB in the direction of MCBB.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/16/05 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
I'm not trying to be negative. I really like Charde. It's just that I don't want the women's game to head in the direction of the men's game, because I just enjoy the women's game so much. If they don't call the "happy feet" of players, that's just continuing to steer WCBB in the direction of MCBB.

Exactly what the evil refs and WNBA marketers want... Sad

sambista

PostPosted: 01/17/05 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i say again - wow.

PostPosted: 01/17/05 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i say again - wow.

I love watching Charde play, she is amazing.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/17/05 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta33 wrote:
sebibb wrote:
i say again - wow.

I love watching Charde play, she is amazing.

Yes, she was. She was wonderful today. I definitely will enjoy the next four years.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/19/05 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fun has only just begun with Charde.

I believe she has a lot more game than we have yet seen--a midrange game, a 3pt game, a transition game, and a ballhandling game. She will also learn to be a very effective passer out of the double teams that will now come with exponential frequency.

Her natural defensive and shot blocking talents are significant. Once she becomes more experienced with team defensive principles, she will be a suffocatingly good defender both on and off the ball.

There are now reports that Charde is beating JMo in UConn's famous windsprints--where she was badly lagging at the beginning of the season. This is extremely significant, because the only player who heretofore has ever beaten JMo in windsprints is Sue Bird, who can beat most guys.

I agree that Charde often shuffles her feet as she begins her drive/spin move. But I also agree that lots of players do the same. The real master is Alana Beard. I have watched her take as many as 5 steps in slow motion. But she does it so quickly, and in close connection with her spin-carry, that the multiple steps blur and are almost undetectable.

Since Charde has already ascended to UConn saviour status, 16,500 fans would commit mass hara kiri in the HCC if the refs ever start calling her for steps and disallowing her baskets. While that may represent only an average homicidal night in downtown Hartford, CT ... still ... it would be unnecessarily messy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: