RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official RJBF Harry Potter 2005 Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/16/05 9:55 pm    ::: The Official RJBF Harry Potter 2005 Thread Reply Reply with quote

Boy am I tired... almost puttering out after only 3 hours of sleep. Hey, bsb... glad to hear you got your book. Barns and Noble gave out bracelets with the book release date on them. (Sort of like the Livestrong bracelet.)

About 1500 patrons showed up last night to buy their books. Half of the crowd when they started lining up people had to be lined up outside. I and my little friend were lined up inside because wy wristband was #245. It pays to pre-order your book on the first day you can pre-order a book.

There was a scavenger hunt, which my friend accomplished, we got a pair of Harry's glasses, a tattoo of Harry's scar, stickers and a picture of my friend in the Sorting Hat. He was sorted to Gryffindor. There was also face painting, and the cafe was converted into the Leaky Cauldron.

At 10:45, they started lining us up. (We got to the store at 8:30...) That's the only thing my friend didn't like, they wanted number groups to gather together which seemd like penning us up as cattle. Well, when midnight came, it took us only 20 minutes to get our books. We went outside to the car, and there were girls sitting on the curb already reading their books.

I took my friend home to his mom, I came back to Madison and went grocery shopping before coming home and making this morning's post.

Got my things together today and went to the Jefferson County Fair. While waiting for my niece to show her horse off to be judged during various stages of the day, I took time to read HP and the HBP. By the time I left the fairgrounds, I had read 15 chapters.

As for the book, I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I think it's a better book than Phoenix (book 5). Chaps 1 and 2 start the book off slow, but chapter 3 grabs you, and you really don't want to let go. It flows very well. I think J.K. writes a better story when the books are shorter. She's much more focused. So, I'm off to bed soon and looking forward to getting back to the story tomorrow morning. I hope I'll finish it by the end of tomorrow. I look forward to seeing what everyone else here who reads the book what they think of it.

What a fun day this has been. I even went out and brought home a six-pack of beer. (But I only had 2 cans... but they did taste good.)

G'nite!

Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/17/05 7:51 pm    ::: Re: The Official RJBF Harry Potter 2005 Thread Reply Reply with quote

Hi all! Does anyone like the story so far? Just got back from the fair, my nephew got two first place trophies for showing dog and my niece won four first place trophies for showing dog and won Best In Show. During the times they weren't showing, I continued with the book.

It can now go on my shelf. Wow! What a great story. I finished it a couple of hours ago. Though I can't prove it, I had an idea who the half-blood prince was and I got it right! Wow. I was, however, surprised to see the word she used on page 365. I wonder if kids under the age of 10 will understand what it means... Don't tell anyone what it is. make 'em buy their own book.

In any case, the book was a blast to read, and I'm not giving away any secrets. Can't wait for book 7!!!

herrade

PostPosted: 07/17/05 8:48 pm    ::: Re: The Official RJBF Harry Potter 2005 Thread Reply Reply with quote

i've never read a harry potter book. i had a theory that they contain some sort of brain washing code, and since i was the only one on the planet never to read any of them, i'd be the only one saved from the apocalypse.

my children's fiction adiction is pullman's "his dark materials" series.

PostPosted: 07/17/05 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the first one. It was OK, but didn't make me want to read another.

I've seen all of the movies and enjoyed them fairly well.

PostPosted: 07/17/05 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoyed the movies, but had to be dragged by my little brother to watch it. I think I won't ever the read the books, I like the visual though.

PostPosted: 07/19/05 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't take Harry too seriously...

http://yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_22620.shtml

I hope someone here won this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8319828162&category=377&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

PostPosted: 07/19/05 9:00 am    ::: Re: The Official RJBF Harry Potter 2005 Thread Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
i've never read a harry potter book. i had a theory that they contain some sort of brain washing code, and since i was the only one on the planet never to read any of them, i'd be the only one saved from the apocalypse.

my children's fiction adiction is pullman's "his dark materials" series.

Herrade, that's my take on never having seen Titanic, total brainwashing Wink ....but I must admit, I've read all the Harry Potter books, (I was unemployed for 4 months and they were there, so...) I enjoyed them, but I am a readaholic Shocked ...I did not stand in line for the book though, I picked it up at the grocery store last night for $17.99

PostPosted: 07/19/05 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can also get misprinted copies on ebay!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-potter19.html

PostPosted: 07/19/05 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You can also get misprinted copies on ebay!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-potter19.html

Can`t swing it financially....I`m still saving up for the burnt toast with the image of Becky Hammon on it..... Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: