RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

When Rick James Went At Alicia Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DivAAA

PostPosted: 01/18/05 3:49 am    ::: When Rick James Went At Alicia Keys Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Now what’s going on with you and Alicia Keys?

“I don’t know. She calls her first album, ‘Songs In A Minor,’ and all of the songs are in E and D. I don’t think she knows her grammatical skill, personally. I think she’s ‘The Gong Show.’ When she did the Donny Hathaway song in front of millions of people and f@#%ed it up, that just goes to show you right there what’s going on…What about Rachelle Ferrell, or Lalah Hathaway? What about all these serious bitches that can really sing? Alicia Keys? Because Clive Davis eats the best See’s Candies and gives the best whatever, and wants to show Whitney [Houston] that she ain’t s@#%, yeah, he’s going to put his effort in Alicia Keys.”

Well, Alicia is playing the piano…

“Yeah, in a key of A flat, right? Try playing one of those songs in A flat.”

The album is called “A Minor”! “A Minor, A Flat…we call it A Flat. A Minor -- my ass. Minor is giving her an A-Plus”. Well, she is a minor.

You don’t cut these new kids no slack, huh?

“I got a 13 year old girl in Buffalo who will take Alicia Keys eat her up and spit her out like a suppository. I’m not saying her name because she’s underage, number one, and her mother is a friend and won’t let her get in the business because she’s in church.”

Smoovie

PostPosted: 01/18/05 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well Diva, I was hoping A minor was just a metaphor. I play keys too, and he is right about the key her music is written in. I was trying to find a link to the sheet music. But if there's anybody out there that plays and have the software, I do have a midi'ed up version of "Fallin" I did for a local singer. You can load it in the software and print it out and you will see, her work was not in A minor

Rick was a drugged out mad man, with no damn sense. But, he could play a few instruments and read and write music. So, he was right about that. Plus, I don't think Alicia Keys would even put herself in the same vocal group as Rachelle Ferrell or Lalah Hathaway. Alicia does what she do, she can sing (not saaang), but she hold her own. You won't see her do a Ashlee Simpson, that's for sure.

Rick James was crazy and he's dead. Who cares what he think? He wasted his talent.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
sambista

PostPosted: 01/18/05 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i generally agree with smoovie - the boy was nuts and now he's dead. talented, yes, but he blew it. and alicia is far from untalented. she brings emotion to her music, among other things, which i appreciate. this guy would have you believe she's masquerading like so many deadbeats out there (i just saw this woman "jojo" on tv yesterday . . . what's up with that? and i'm having a good laugh watching missy elliott's reality show.)

i'm not sure i understand what he meant about ruining donny's song. i downloaded an exclusive live track of that song at itunes some time ago, and it's awesome - maybe it's not the particular live performance he's talking about, because i haven't detected anything wrong with it. does anyone know what he was talking about?

PostPosted: 01/18/05 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Girl, it was Rick being hater Rick. He was known to Sh** on folks that wouldn't deal with him. She probably didn't know who he was, when he walked into the room "It's Rick James.......Bit*h!!" Or she probably just blew him off...Rick can be "DreamGirls Diva" with a capital D, he made Diana Ross look sweet. He was a major Drama Queen/King , whatever.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 01/18/05 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rick was no joke in his day. When I was a kid, Prince used to open up for him and those two were extremely competitive. All in all, they respected each other. That era in music was the hardest era in music to make it in.

I am a fan of Alicia's work, and believe she would've been alright in the golden era of R&B.

I agree with sebibb. There is so much garbage parading the airwaves that I don't bother to listen to the radio anymore. The radio (for the most part) is afraid to play what I listen to (like Rachelle, Lalah, and new artists like Van Hunt).

The biggest mistake Alicia made was allowing her quality single, "If I Ain't Got You" to be butchered by Usher with a remix between the two. The downfall of music is when two artists are so hot (as they were the top-sellers in all of music for 2004) that record companies want to make money off of the hype, with no respect to the art.

RimRocka

PostPosted: 01/18/05 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many of the artist out today, wouldn't have even gotten in the door back then. To get a deal back in the day, you would be on the grind so long , before anyone even raise an eyebrow, that by the time you got a deal, you were polished. Nobody had to take you in the studio, to fix your voice. Did anybody back in the day, actually lip-sync? Does anybody remember when they use to have "Battle Of The Bands" showcases all over the country. Very few kids today, could hold a candle to the talent that was out back then.

Ooops, there I go. Telling my age

BTW, If you haven't peeped John Legends "Get Lifted", you're missing a treat. When a young artist, steps outside of the box, and actually comes with some talent, you have to give them their props.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: