Board Junkies Forums

WNBA in Atlanta?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Why on Earth would the League want her in Atlanta though? She might want to be there for her boyfriend, but it's a crappy sports-town where attendance is likely to be terrible regardless - that's the last place they'll want Parker. They'd want her in a big market where she can boost attendance and interest league-wide, not somewhere where no one's going to care.

The league would want her in Atlanta because it's the closest to Knoxville that the league is ever going to get. So I guess they're thinking that people from K'ville and southern parts of East Tennessee who like the Lady Vols will come down to watch.

And if there was one player that could make fair weather fans flock to see WNBA games, it would be her.

But I'm in agreement with everyone. I don't think they should give Atlanta the top pick. However, giving them the 7th is robbery, IMO.

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Why on Earth would the League want her in Atlanta though? She might want to be there for her boyfriend, but it's a crappy sports-town where attendance is likely to be terrible regardless - that's the last place they'll want Parker. They'd want her in a big market where she can boost attendance and interest league-wide, not somewhere where no one's going to care.

The league would want her in Atlanta because it's the closest to Knoxville that the league is ever going to get. So I guess they're thinking that people from K'ville and southern parts of East Tennessee who like the Lady Vols will come down to watch.

Yeah I can see that but don't you think gas and other travel expenses would play a big part in that decision for all but the hardcore fans?
caune

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only question I have is....how close to this arena is GAgirls house Wink

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
jimmyk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah I can see that but don't you think gas and other travel expenses would play a big part in that decision for all but the hardcore fans?

I think that would be a HUGE consideration once the novelty wore off. People might be willing to make the trip once in while but not with any real regularity that the league needs from it's fans.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
jimmyk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

And if there was one player that could make fair weather fans flock to see WNBA games, it would be her.

But I'm in agreement with everyone. I don't think they should give Atlanta the top pick. However, giving them the 7th is robbery, IMO.

They wouldn't get the 7th pick, they would get the 6th. Five teams didn't make the playoffs and have "earned" their place in the lottery.

You can't rob someone of something they never had, so robbery would not be the way I would put it.

I do think it is fair and consistent, which I am more interested in than anything else. I also do believe that the 6th pick will produce a player that could at least be comparable to Candice Dupree.

The more I think about it, the more I think giving Atlanta a lottery pick is robbery.

PostPosted: 10/01/07 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. Atlanta doesn't deserve special treatment. Same rule applies to everyone.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 10/01/07 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way. That 6th pick is ours, Atlanta can wait until 2009. Step off, beatrices! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
No way. That 6th pick is ours, Atlanta can wait until 2009. Step off, beatrices! Twisted Evil

You're right. If Atlanta has the 6th pick, they may steal Matee Ajavon from the Libs. That would be terrible. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to rain on the parade but until if and when we get a team in Atlanta isn't this whole discussion moot? Laughing

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
You're right. If Atlanta has the 6th pick, they may steal Matee Ajavon from the Libs. That would be terrible. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

No way in hell Ajavon goes at six.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thrillrider08 wrote:
Not to rain on the parade but until if and when we get a team in Atlanta isn't this whole discussion moot? Laughing

Basically, yes. As much as I'd love to have a team in the South again, this year would be a BAD year to do it. What if we have to skip a month like we did in '04? That would not be good for a new team that's trying to get as many fans as it can.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

No way in hell Ajavon goes at six.

No, not six, whereever the Liberty pick.

So I have an evil plan. Sue me lawyer boy! Laughing

PostPosted: 10/01/07 9:43 pm    ::: WNBA in Atlanta - Update! Reply Reply with quote

My Atlanta-based source briefly checked in again today & has now refused to discuss the matter further until after the announcement (in about two weeks). However, two items were mentioned of importance in the message. First the Gwinett Area is out for 2008. No reason was given so I couldn't tell you where the team would play. Second came the bomb. IT IS NOT AN EXPANSION TEAM COMING TO ATLANTA, BUT AN EXISTING FRANCHISE! This took me by surprise since Houston's owner has been making noises like he was staying for another year. Anybody else on the transfer block?

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/01/07 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An existing franchise? That's weird. I honestly think Houston will stay. Who else would it be? Are you sure s/he doesn't think the Storm is leaving Seattle?

Anyway. I guess I'll have to wait. I'm having a hard time stomaching a relocation though, mostly because I can't think of a team.

PostPosted: 10/01/07 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I hope your source is not accurate on that one. Sure some franchises are struggling, but would they be better off in Atlanta as a startup? I doubt it.

PostPosted: 10/01/07 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Much as I'm not sure an expansion franchise in Atlanta is a great idea, I really hope Bob's source is wrong as well. They'd be much better off adding a crappy expansion team, probably with an expansion fee of around $10m, than selling a team for much less than that and moving it into a (likely) poor market.

Last year the teams that got sold were ones where the NBA franchises that owned them had gotten tired of running them. Following that pattern, it'd be Detroit, Indiana, Minnesota, New York, Phoenix, Sacramento or San Antonio. Can't see Detroit selling, NY aren't gonna dump the Libs right now (they're in the middle of a sexual discrimintation suit for crying out loud), SA just started to show signs of progress, Phoenix just won a championship. That leaves Indiana, Minnesota or Sacramento if it's an NBA owner pulling out. The most obvious option if it's one of the independant owners is still Houston.

Yeah, screw this. I don't want to see another group of fans miserable about losing their team. Hope your source is wrong Bob.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/01/07 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it's not the Sky. I'd be devestated. Sad

PostPosted: 10/01/07 10:56 pm    ::: Atlanta Reply Reply with quote

This person called me tonight leaving a message with those points I mentioned. All I can say is this individual could be wrong but has never called me to purposefully lead me astray. This source is a solid citizen.

Right now I would guess Houston. It makes sense as they have a lottery pick, be they not the favorite to get Parker.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/01/07 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is why I'm confused...

The ever-so-informational Womens Hoops blog has posted that the Atlanta buyer is insisting the WNBA to give them a lottery pick. If it was Houston, they'd already have a pick. I doubt a playoff team would be moved.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

PostPosted: 10/01/07 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, that'd be surprising if Houston actually did relocate. Hope they dont, or any team at all.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/01/07 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Wow, that'd be surprising if Houston actually did relocate. Hope they dont, or any team at all.

If a storied franchise like Houston can end up forced to seek relocation, what hope is there for any team in the league. I mean FOUR championships!! What does it take to get a little loyalty? But then again, we do live in a "What have you done for me lately?" society. I hope its not. I hope all the negative speculation is off and that the reality is better than the positive rumors.

Okay so I get overy optimistic sometimes . . .
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/02/07 1:59 am    ::: Re: WNBA in Atlanta - Update! Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
My Atlanta-based source briefly checked in again today & has now refused to discuss the matter further until after the announcement (in about two weeks). However, two items were mentioned of importance in the message. First the Gwinett Area is out for 2008. No reason was given so I couldn't tell you where the team would play.

It has already been reported that an Atlanta franchise will play the majority of its games at Phillips Arena.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/02/07 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
An existing franchise? That's weird. I honestly think Houston will stay. Who else would it be?

Any chance that Sheila Johnson and Lincoln Holdings would relocate the Mytics for a sweeter tenant's deal with the Hawks?

jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 10/02/07 5:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what's the next announcement, Holdsclaw will coach the Atlanta team?

kidding, kidding... Laughing

kinda strange when you think about it though that Mique had relocated there...and then this news about an Atlanta team....

however, if Mique ever returned to play, i highly doubt it would be for an expansion team...

PostPosted: 10/02/07 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Only question I have is....how close to this arena is GAgirls house Wink

Rule of thumb, you can't get anywhere in this city in less than 20 minutes. Tack another 15 to that if you don't actually live in the city LOL. Not to worry though, there is complimentary shuttle service provided with your stay at Casa de GAgirl Wink

I am happy to hear that the rumors I heard about who the potential owner(s) was is looking to be untrue. I was really worried for a minute there. As much as I love the W and take pride in supporting it, the individuals that I heard were in the mix for ownership would have made me seriously reconsider supporting a franchise here. And that's not an easy task.

Anyway, I'm still not sold that a franchise would do well here, and if the Gwinett area is out I'm even more skeptical. As others have indicated, the timing couldn't be worse and I just don't see where the support will come from. When we had an ABL team here, I didn't even know until if folded Confused (granted I was in college at the time, but my Mom and sis were still here and had no idea) But I will be the first one in line to pay my deposit if it happens! Very Happy

- Diana Taurasi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: