RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA in Atlanta?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 09/30/07 6:20 pm    ::: WNBA in Atlanta? Reply Reply with quote

This afternoon I spoke with a reliable contact of mine, an individual deeply rooted in the Atlanta area (I live over 200 miles south of there near the state line.). The source told me there is a middle-aged (age 50 or older, wasn't quite sure) individual with mega-bucks willing to purchase a WNBA franchise to be placed in the Gwinett Center in the Atlanta suburbs (where the SEC played the women's tournament this year). According to the source, the buyer (name not revealed to me) is into opportunities for women in professional sports. This is what the ad agency, that has been spearheading this project, was touting.

This buyer is supposedly aware of the potential for 6 or even 7 figure losses that can be associated with WNBA ownership and could handle them. My source was surprised an announcement had not already been made. My guess is either timing or the need to complete the new C.B.A. before expansion could move forward. Again according to my source, the target was to begin play in 2008, but I could see the C.B.A. issues holding this back if a deal is not reached until the spring. Finally, when I asked how successful the franchise would be after the honeymoon wears off. The answer was attendance would only be a few thousand fans on average. On the other hand, local sponsorship might defray some of the losses as this buyer has strong contacts in the Atlanta business community.

Ms. Donna should say thank you for the big bucks! I will say good luck and have your checkbook ready early and often! In Georgia, football is king, little else matters. Sadly I predict this team will not be one of the exceptions. If the owner does not care about losing money and can stomach the losses, the franchise could survive. Otherwise not!

When I finished, I asked if they would bet on this purchase taking place.
The response was "I am not a betting person but if I was, I would bet on this."

mikey87

PostPosted: 09/30/07 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome news, I think if the team wins. Then the fans will show up. Falcons suck this year and they will suck next year as well. So I would much rather spend money on season tickets for me and my daughters for the WNBA than on FALCONS tickets.... And man this could mean that Tasha will get to stay home if we do get a team...

BCBG25

PostPosted: 09/30/07 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's too late to announce expansion for the 2008 season, be it because of the CBA or simply because there's not enough time to build up for next season. Also, it's not a good year for a new team to come into the league what with the Olympics break and the potential lockout. I don't know, not saying your source isn't credible, but I think this is more likely to happen in 2009 rather than in 2008, JMO.

PostPosted: 09/30/07 6:34 pm    ::: WNBA in Atlanta? Reply Reply with quote

I agree that it could be difficult to get the team running by spring 2008.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/30/07 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with that attitude, give my drothers, I'd rather they step in and support the league as whole, not in Atlanta.

Call me selfish, but I'd rather that money, good will and vision be applied to what we have and to make it better, more solid.

We need a reinfusion of interet and MONEY...

hey, i can dream, can't I? Oprah?

PostPosted: 09/30/07 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay Atlanta! Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/30/07 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
with that attitude, give my drothers, I'd rather they step in and support the league as whole, not in Atlanta.

Call me selfish, but I'd rather that money, good will and vision be applied to what we have and to make it better, more solid.

We need a reinfusion of interet and MONEY...

hey, i can dream, can't I? Oprah?

not sure what kind of infussion of money you're talking about....or where that money would be going and to do what.....and what return a businessman would get.....but in anycase.....

give us a team in atlanta......please.....

PostPosted: 09/30/07 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still not so sure about Atlanta. I agree with bcbg that next season might not be good for any expansion team because of the Olympics.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/30/07 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact remains Atlanta barely got 1000 pledges. Not deposits. PLEDGES. And that was with the city's push for a team. It is great to have the money and the potential for corporate sponsorships, but unless the attendance makes it worth it, this will be a short term franchise.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 09/30/07 9:01 pm    ::: WNBA in Atlanta? Reply Reply with quote

I have thought this was a bad idea for years. I don't know why the PR firm took up the cause. I had a caustic debate with its owner who thought I was very anti the women's sports movement simply because I was againt this Atlanta franchise. I guess the firm found their owner. My guess is Donna does not care how badly the team will do at the gate if the league can extract $10 million or something close to that. As I said in my initial post, the potential owner is supposed to be able to handle the losses.

No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 09/30/07 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not ATLANTA

the WNBA is non-existent in the South and ATL is a big city but

TERRIBLE SPORTS TOWN and THE HAWKS are a mess a consistent mess that wont right itself anytime soon

Red Panda 4 life
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 09/30/07 9:45 pm    ::: Re: WNBA in Atlanta? Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
I have thought this was a bad idea for years. I don't know why the PR firm took up the cause. I had a caustic debate with its owner who thought I was very anti the women's sports movement simply because I was againt this Atlanta franchise. I guess the firm found their owner. My guess is Donna does not care how badly the team will do at the gate if the league can extract $10 million or something close to that. As I said in my initial post, the potential owner is supposed to be able to handle the losses.

I'd like to see the league have an even number of teams, and I'd like to see a team in the southeast so that sponsors are buying something more like a national product.

I'd rather see Colorado or Philly, maybe even Kansas City. But if someone who can afford to lose $800K/ year for ten years on 4K attendance wants to put a team in Atlanta, I'd say take them up on it. And if that team starts winning, maybe people will show up.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/30/07 10:46 pm    ::: Re: WNBA in Atlanta? Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
Finally, when I asked how successful the franchise would be after the honeymoon wears off. The answer was attendance would only be a few thousand fans on average.

That's the scary bit, and the part that the league shold be worried about. They're not even aiming for or anticipating more than a few thousand once the hooneymoon wears off (and there ain't much of a hooneymoon with WNBA teams - look at Chicago). Even if the team is financially viable in other ways, or has an owner who doesn't give a crap that attendance is awful and is happy to cover the financial losses, that ends up looking poor for the league. Average attendance gets dragged down yet further and more fuel is added to the fire of people who say no one cares about the league.

Working hard to place a team somewhere that's a half-decent sports-town would've made a hell of a lot more sense.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/30/07 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Donna is not going to award a franchise to a city/owner/group that she doesn't trust. Early in the league's history, there was a tendency to hand out teams to ANYONE who was willing in the least. It's a lot more specific now.

If Atlanta is given a team, I trust that Donna knows this is not a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Oh, and how freaking cool for Pilight and ThatGaGirl! I'm so excited for you guys! Very Happy I will always remember the Chicago Expansion Press Conference. Best. Day. Of. My. Life.

PostPosted: 09/30/07 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Donna is not going to award a franchise to a city/owner/group that she doesn't trust...
If Atlanta is given a team, I trust that Donna knows this is not a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Donna and A.J.Robinson are long time friends.
http://www.thesundaypaper.com/CurrentArticles/tabid/98/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/29/042907-SPORTS-Ready-of-not.aspx

Robinson, a real estate entrepeneur and Harvard MBA, is one of Atlanta's movers and shakers. As President of Central Atlanta Progress (a private business group) he apppointed an organizing committee that included reps from city and state government, marketing firm Hope-Beckham, and Turner Broadcasting Systems.

The 1200 pledges the group has gathered are for premium season ticket seating ($680/season). Corporate sponsors are onboard. Arena(s) identified.

If a deep pockets owner has been found, the only thing likely holding this baby back is the CBA.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:19 am    ::: WNBA in Atlanta? Reply Reply with quote

Note that the super teams of the Russian League have bigger budgets than any WNBA team and bleed red ink and smile! Perhaps this is what will happen should Atlanta come to pass.

One reason that I'm pessimistic on attendance is that UGA (the most sacred sports franchise in the state) could not get a large block of fans to show up for their SEC Tournament semi-final game in the arena in Duluth (about one hour from their campus). That night the arena was a "Sea of Orange" as expected. Georgia was a ranked team, playing a big game against eventual champ Vandy and they had about the same support that Vandy (from distant Nashville) had.

Donna took on low attending Chicago to get the city into the WNBA family. Atlanta looks like a similar case with even less chance of long term fan support. Maybe Donna knows best, maybe not. At least now I might have a reason to drive to Atlanta more often!

CB

PostPosted: 10/01/07 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Donna is not going to award a franchise to a city/owner/group that she doesn't trust...

Donna and A.J.Robinson are long time friends.
http://www.thesundaypaper.com/CurrentArticles/tabid/98/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/29/042907-SPORTS-Ready-of-not.aspx

Robinson, a real estate entrepeneur and Harvard MBA, is one of Atlanta's movers and shakers. As President of Central Atlanta Progress (a private business group) he apppointed an organizing committee that included reps from city and state government, marketing firm Hope-Beckham, and Turner Broadcasting Systems.

The 1200 pledges the group has gathered are for premium season ticket seating ($680/season). Corporate sponsors are onboard. Arena(s) identified.

If a deep pockets owner has been found, the only thing likely holding this baby back is the CBA.

This makes it look darn positive. This is the type the league could sure use.

I think Atlanta is a cool place to visit or live. Rolling hills, Stone Mountain, the little resort town of Helen an hour or two north of Atlanta.

Quote:
But if someone who can afford to lose $800K/ year for ten years on 4K attendance wants to put a team in Atlanta, I'd say take them up on it. And if that team starts winning, maybe people will show up.

Maybe with the place chosen for the games, the losses wouldn't be that high, and then since bluewolfvii's post, maybe this guy has enough sponsors. Wow. Sounds like a plan, Stan.

PostPosted: 10/01/07 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh oh. Over at Woman's Sports Blog:

Quote:
Monday, October 01, 2007
The WNBA is busy working behind the scenes to arrange for a new franchise in 2008. KC probably won't be ready, leaving Atlanta as the most likely choice.

At Rebkell, Bob Corwin has some details of the ongoing negotiations.

One reported sticking point: the potential Atlanta buyer is insisting on a lottery pick, or some other way to have a shot at Parker. It might be a good fit, since SheWill is there. But giving Parker, or even a top-7 pick, to Atlanta would obviously infuriate some existing owners.

If you were Donna, what would you do?

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:

Quote:
Monday, October 01, 2007
The WNBA is busy working behind the scenes to arrange for a new franchise in 2008. KC probably won't be ready, leaving Atlanta as the most likely choice.

One reported sticking point: the potential Atlanta buyer is insisting on a lottery pick, or some other way to have a shot at Parker. It might be a good fit, since SheWill is there. But giving Parker, or even a top-7 pick, to Atlanta would obviously infuriate some existing owners.

I don't think it's smart at all for Donna to even consider giving owners that kind of power. I don't think the league will go under without Atlanta so something that would piss off the other teams to that extent and undermine the expansion structure the league has in place would be a deal breaker for me.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:

perhaps the timing is perfect.

everybody's assuming Parker's coming out. but why?

Let Atlanta come into the league in 2008. let them finish, like most expansion teams, dead last. when CP3's eligibility is up at Tenn, she comes out...enters the 2009 draft.

who has the best shot at getting her? Atlanta.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont think they should give them the #1 outright, BUT I do think Atlanta should be in the lottery. Having them choose at 7 makes no sense at all.

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
CB wrote:

Quote:
Monday, October 01, 2007

I don't think it's smart at all for Donna to even consider giving owners that kind of power. I don't think the league will go under without Atlanta so something that would piss off the other teams to that extent and undermine the expansion structure the league has in place would be a deal breaker for me.

Gotta admit though, the future looks bright for Parker at least. Teams not even in the league yet vying for her services.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why on Earth would the League want her in Atlanta though? She might want to be there for her boyfriend, but it's a crappy sports-town where attendance is likely to be terrible regardless - that's the last place they'll want Parker. They'd want her in a big market where she can boost attendance and interest league-wide, not somewhere where no one's going to care.

And I still say it's gotten awfully late to even think about adding a team for 2008.

Oh, and they'd get the 6th pick, by the way, if the same model was used as before. There are only 5 lottery teams these days.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Why on Earth would the League want her in Atlanta though? She might want to be there for her boyfriend, but it's a crappy sports-town where attendance is likely to be terrible regardless - that's the last place they'll want Parker. They'd want her in a big market where she can boost attendance and interest league-wide, not somewhere where no one's going to care.

The league would want her in Atlanta because it's the closest to Knoxville that the league is ever going to get. So I guess they're thinking that people from K'ville and southern parts of East Tennessee who like the Lady Vols will come down to watch.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 10/01/07 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tasha Humphrey would be a great young cornerstone player for an Atlanta franchise.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: