RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baseball's ASG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 07/12/05 7:39 pm    ::: Baseball's ASG Reply Reply with quote

Gonna be switching between the two as much as I can tonight, so I start with the ASG and will get to the Libs/Comets game after the top of the first ends.

The main thing I wanted to point out, to start, was that they played the British national anthem before ours at the game today...just like the Brits played ours on (or around...can't remember because I only first knew about it last week) 9/11.

A very awesome thing done tonight in Detroit, I think. Brought tears to my eyes.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 07/12/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another note that just could not be put in the same post with the above...

When will Tim McCarver have offically broadcast 16 times more All-Star Games than he actually played in? I felt sure he'd have done that by now. Laughing

Joe Buck is the man.

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 07/13/05 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:

When will Tim McCarver have offically broadcast 16 times more All-Star Games than he actually played in? I felt sure he'd have done that by now. Laughing

Joe Buck is the man.

did McCarver ever play in one?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/13/05 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Joe Buck is the man.

McCarver was an All Star in 1966 and 1967

PostPosted: 07/13/05 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Joe Buck is the man.

McCarver was an All Star in 1966 and 1967

A wee bit B4 my time. The only thing I ever recalled about him was being Steve Carlton's personal catcher....which, at that stage of his career, was the only way he could get a job playing the game.

66-67 must've been while he was in St. Louis.

Sass

PostPosted: 07/13/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw in the sports section yesterday mug shots of all the players. One really made me curious: a black man whose name is Vladimir Guerrero. Anyone know his story?

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 07/13/05 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
I saw in the sports section yesterday mug shots of all the players. One really made me curious: a black man whose name is Vladimir Guerrero. Anyone know his story?

He's from the Dominican Republic. That explains his last name. I'm guessing that Vladimir is short for a longer, much more latino sounding first name. ...but that is purely a guess.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/15/05 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your guess is wrong. That IS his name. LOL! Sometimes he goes by Vlad which is short for Vladimir. Guerrero is not that uncommon a name. Granted it's not Rivera or Rodriguez but it's common.

He is fromthe DR though...as is half the league is seems

PennyTfan1 wrote:
Sass wrote:

He's from the Dominican Republic. That explains his last name. I'm guessing that Vladimir is short for a longer, much more latino sounding first name. ...but that is purely a guess.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/15/05 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keira, your brother Alex said he's going to play for the DR next year in the World League, Cup, whatever. Now what's up with that?

PostPosted: 07/15/05 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Keira, your brother Alex said he's going to play for the DR next year in the World League, Cup, whatever. Now what's up with that?

If he didn't homer off Schilling last night, we would have disowned him after those comments. Freaking guy's from Miami!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/15/05 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

If he didn't homer off Schilling last night, we would have disowned him after those comments. Freaking guy's from Miami!

Actually, he's from NY. If you're from Miami, you can very well be from the DR lol

PostPosted: 07/15/05 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Actually, he's from NY. If you're from Miami, you can very well be from the DR lol

You're right; my bad. Did he grow up in Miami or something? Where did I get that idea?

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/15/05 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your both right!!! Alex was born in Washington Heights (NY). He then moved to the DR until the age of 4. Then he came to Miami. He can play for whoever he wants, I don't necessarily care, but if the big Boss says no (we ALL know who the big boss is) then he won't play.

I'm VERY proud of my little brother for shutting Curt "the mouth" Schilling yesterday!!!! Couldn't have been more perfect!!! Way to go baby bro!! Smile

dtsnms wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

You're right; my bad. Did he grow up in Miami or something? Where did I get that idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: