RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UT fans, question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/10/05 11:22 am    ::: UT fans, question Reply Reply with quote

So has Princesses Shanna, Brittany, and Sydney lost their crowns to the freshmen? Very Happy

Combined against UConn I think they saw under 20 minutes, with Spencer playing 3! Shocked

Wiley-Gatewood is fearless, I really like her game. Hornbuckle has to step hers up still, she didn't scare me when she was on the court.

I know everyone loves Ely, but I'll say it again, since I only see her in big games, she doesn't ever seem to play 40 minutes in a big game. Maybe 20 at most.

How about our girl Charde huh? Didn't I tell you all that she's the real deal? Wink

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/10/05 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charde made the difference for UConn on Saturday.

Zolman may have shot herself in the foot by not showing up for that game. She played honorably in last year's Final after being forced into service by Moore's injury, but I didn't see anything that impressed me against UConn.

Ely looks streaky, but I think she is solid as a player...solid skills. Remember, streaky is a term also used to describe last year's WNBA Finals MVP.

A lot has been said about this freshman class at Tenn...maybe we just got to see a glimpse of what is to come. And the larger hyped player has yet to be seen. Could make for an interesting late February and March.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/10/05 4:26 pm    ::: Re: UT fans, question Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
So has Princesses Shanna, Brittany, and Sydney lost their crowns to the freshmen? Very Happy

Combined against UConn I think they saw under 20 minutes, with Spencer playing 3! Shocked

Wiley-Gatewood is fearless, I really like her game. Hornbuckle has to step hers up still, she didn't scare me when she was on the court.

I agree, I really like what she brings. I'm not too big on Hornbuckle yet, she has some proving to do.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/10/05 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Ely looks streaky, but I think she is solid as a player...solid skills. Remember, streaky is a term also used to describe last year's WNBA Finals MVP.

One big difference - Lennox has mental toughness and Ely doesn't.

I think Ely could be a solid bench player but it's hard to see her being anymore. She doesn't seem to have that killer instinct and there's nothing particularly outstanding about her game.
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/10/05 8:46 pm    ::: Re: UT fans, question Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta33 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I agree, I really like what she brings. I'm not too big on Hornbuckle yet, she has some proving to do.

Interesting, BJ is scheduled to start the next game, she didn't have a great game Saturday, but she's probably the most consistent player on the team this year. Sid and Z lost their starting spots before the UConn game, Sid I'm not worried about, she didn't do anything wrong Saturday, it was mostly a personnell decision, Z on the other hand, is really in a funk, and I'm not sure what is going to happen with her, they will not run an offense for her, so if she expects to get minutes, she'll have to figure out how to get open shots, there are plenty of screens available, she just has to start using them, but as far as setting up plays for her exclusively, it ain't gonna happen.

Hornbuckle, player of the game and SEC co-Player of the Week, yeah, just keep on not worrying about her, Sa'de has played one game, and showed up, the UConn game, so it's a bit hard for me to anoint her as the next coming, Hornbuckle has had to deal with trying to run the point for the last month, and was in charge, so she's had more mental challenges, show me a guard that can even figure out the Summitt offense, let alone run it. Wink

I thought Ely played a good game Saturday, I'm not sure what your beef is with her, but she's doing fine.

Houston looked good Saturday, but I tell you what, I'll take my freshmen over your freshmen.

We've still got one freshman, that we haven't seen yet, she's supposed to be the best of the post players we recruited, so who knows, and if Candace can keep that knee from swelling, she'll be in, but if it doesn't straighten up and quick, I'm pretty sure she'll be redshirted, If she doesn't play by next week, I'd say she's a redshirt. also, I'm almost positive that she can't play and be redshirted, there might be some slim chance that she could play this Thursday and be redshirted, but I think Saturday was the cutoff date on that.

It was good to have Loree back, she is a ballhawk on D, she was a welcome relief for Sa'de and Hornbuckle, they got to play their game and run a little wild, and let Loree figure out the Summitt O ...

pilight

PostPosted: 01/10/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shyra Ely is Gwen Jackson without the three point shot. Well, that and she doesn't complain to Pat Summitt about her legs being tired...

PostPosted: 01/12/05 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll take my freshmen over your freshmen.

Aw hell Rebb, there's a stretch! I'll take your freshmen too!

Don't get into a little UT snit because I haven't seen a "great" performance out of Hornbuckle yet and I questioned her and Ely Laughing

Seriously, it's nitpicking on obvious talent with Hornbuckle, but I guess when I heard so much press, she's not the dominant player I expected. You are right though, I forgot she's not a true point and was learning the position in the earlier games I saw.

Ely, I have questioned for 4 years now. She just doesn't seem to show in a lot of the big games I have seen. If I correctly remember the UConn game two years ago (the Diana half court heave game), she was benched for the entire second half for not showing in the first. And she didn't step up, Zolman did, in the championship game last year. I just don't see Ely and see all-american.

Our freshmen need more time and less attitude. Mel Thomas will be a really good one, but she has to get her head togehter and realize you don't practice hard you don't play. Maybe now she will. Swanier thinks too much of dribbling and not enough of ball movement. I don't care about those steals as much as the way the offense stopped while she stood there and pounded the ball.

I love Charde. That mid-range jumper she canned against UT is going to be the difference in her game. By the time she's done she will break a lot of UConn records I believe.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/13/05 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Aw hell Rebb, there's a stretch! I'll take your freshmen too!

Don't get into a little UT snit because I haven't seen a "great" performance out of Hornbuckle yet and I questioned her and Ely

Well, let's see you basically trashed, (trashed might be too strong a word) the Tennessee players, and complemented one, and praised your player, so I think it was a normal reaction on my part, of course all the followups were basically put downs of Tenn players, so yeah, I'll get my feathers ruffled a bit ...

It seems to be the normal message board thing, to put down players, I don't know what it is about message boards, but the majority of posts seem to paint players in a negative light.... If I was keeping stats, I'd almost bet negative comments are running 80% or better in evaluations of players. I'm guilty too, I'm trying to do better, but I'll occasionally blast a few too..., but to be honest, when I trash a player or players, it's usually because somebody said something about a player I like, and I just return the favor and trash their favs ...

Of course, the zebra trashing is running about 101% to -1% Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/13/05 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally disagree with your statement about me trashing the Tennessee players. TOTALLY!

I teasingly called Shana, Brit and Sydney the princesses because they are the pretty, debutante looking girls on the team.

I said Hornbuckle at this point didn't scare me on the court, but I didn't say she couldn't play, or anything in my book that was negative. I can tell you about 7 players on UConn's roster that don't scare me either.

I said I didn't think Ely played a full 40 in big games. That's not trashing either, it's a statement about intensity.

Reb, don't group my post into some board posting negativity rant you've got going on. It was meant to be a good natured rib from UConn to UT fans.

I don't have a negative bone in my body towards any player, I appreciate the work and effort they all put in, and as I tell Dani, realize that they are one of the top 2,000 or so players in the country at their age group.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/14/05 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I totally disagree with your statement about me trashing the Tennessee players. TOTALLY!

I teasingly called Shana, Brit and Sydney the princesses because they are the pretty, debutante looking girls on the team.

I said Hornbuckle at this point didn't scare me on the court, but I didn't say she couldn't play, or anything in my book that was negative. I can tell you about 7 players on UConn's roster that don't scare me either.

I said I didn't think Ely played a full 40 in big games. That's not trashing either, it's a statement about intensity.

Reb, don't group my post into some board posting negativity rant you've got going on. It was meant to be a good natured rib from UConn to UT fans.

I don't have a negative bone in my body towards any player, I appreciate the work and effort they all put in, and as I tell Dani, realize that they are one of the top 2,000 or so players in the country at their age group.

I also stated that trashed might be too strong a word, so we'll just drop it. Sorry.

But as far as my rant goes, I stand by it, 100%, it wasn't directed at you, it was just an observation.

Sa'de didn't play tonight at all, one game suspension for violating team rules, and that's probably all we'll ever know, she and Ely were both sick this week, and it wasn't until after the game, that we found out about Sa'de being disciplined, most of us just figured she wasn't up to snuff because of the crud. Hornbuckle was pretty inefficient tonight, she's a board hound, but she was out of control and basically just looked sloppy.

Z had a good night, but the stat of the night was Zolman 3 of 6 from the line, and missed 3 in a row, that's something that happens when the planets get out of alignment. I'm guessing, sun flares or something.

I took offense on Ely, because she's really been stepping it up lately, and has basically taken the leadership role, she's a solid player, so I guess I'm more defensive about her this year, because she is showing me some solid performances.

Tenn had a solid first half, and had the game under control pretty early, I guess they just didn't know how to act with the game pretty well sewn up, Pat was beside herself the whole 2nd half, she finally just sat down and shut up the last 3 or 4 minutes, practice will be rough tomorrow.

The refs were horrid, I think we got more than our share of calls tonight, but they missed so much and let so much go, it was dismal. Moore picked up 2 or 3 fouls in like a minute, and the first one was the most bogus call I've probably ever seen, she cleared out and the Arkansas player tripped over her own feet, normally I don't comment on that stuff, because it's pretty difficult to see some things, but they popped up the replay on the screen, and I'm guessing Loree wasn't within two feet of the Ark player and they called a foul on her, it was unbelievable.

So, I don't know where Tenn stands, the first half was pretty decent, but the 2nd half pretty well wiped out all the good feelings the first half produced.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/14/05 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

72-54 - Lady Vols win!

Dang Reb! After reading your post I checked the Lady Vols site to read about the loss...

lol!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/14/05 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I love Charde. That mid-range jumper she canned against UT is going to be the difference in her game. By the time she's done she will break a lot of UConn records I believe.

She's good. Shoots when she shouldn't sometimes, but she'll learn. I think there are least three records she won't break:

Three-Pointers Made
Assists
Games as a starter in the NCAA Tournament

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/14/05 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Quote:

She's good. Shoots when she shouldn't sometimes, but she'll learn. I think there are least three records she won't break:

Three-Pointers Made
Assists
Games as a starter in the NCAA Tournament

They looked pretty damned impressive against ND, I thought the refs were letting too much go, no favoritism, just too much physical bumpin and contact let go, with the standard ticky tack junk to fill in the voids.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/14/05 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
72-54 - Lady Vols win!

Dang Reb! After reading your post I checked the Lady Vols site to read about the loss...

lol!

Nah, they took it to them early and hard, it was over pretty quick, we got real sloppy with the lead, I just watched the tape, and it looked better on tv than live.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/14/05 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
They looked pretty damned impressive against ND, I thought the refs were letting too much go, no favoritism, just too much physical bumpin and contact let go, with the standard ticky tack junk to fill in the voids.

Perfect description of the refs in that game. There was some NBA bumping in that paint that wasn't called, and then some little reaches. I wish there was more consistency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: