RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sheryl Swoopes Is The LEADING 2005 MVP Candidate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/05/05 8:34 pm    ::: Sheryl Swoopes Is The LEADING 2005 MVP Candidate Reply Reply with quote

Why? Cause she is a leader! I have watched her come out of junior college and lead her team (with no history and less talent) to a final four, and follow that up with an NCAA championship BY HERSELF during her senior season. I have seen her win three Olympic gold medals, a world championship, 4 WNBA championships, 2 league MVP awards, 3 defensive player of the year awards and a scoring title. I've seen her go head-to-head with Jordan in his prime to only lose by two points.

With all that said, I have never been more impressed than I am now by her leadership. She is leading this team on greatness. She is not in her prime anymore, and the depth of talent in this league goes to the 11th roster spot. Yet, she is showing that there is a reason she will be inducted into the Naismith and women's basketball hall-of-fame, five years after her retirement. If you're great, then you're always great.

The 2005 Houston Comets are without Tina Thompson and have to be the oldest and one of the least talented teams in the league in comparison to the other teams. Yet, Sheryl is taking charge.

That is why she is still the most loved and the five-time top vote-getter. She isn't just about making herself a great player, but making her teammates better.

Sorry, but when Chamique Holdsclaw reach the level of greatness when she can do more for her stats, then her fans can mouth off. Until then, Sheryl is leading a team that would be six or seven games under .500 had Van made that trade. Chamique would've been the league's leading scorer and rebounder, and it would've been everyone else's fault.

LoveJanet

PostPosted: 07/05/05 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's deep! Shocked Accurate, but DEEP! Sheryl is really showing me another side to her greatness. This Comet team just isn't that good in comparison to what else is in this league.

This is Sheryl Swoopes showing that her name belongs next to Edwards.

DivAAA

PostPosted: 07/05/05 8:45 pm    ::: Re: Sheryl Swoopes Is The LEADING 2005 MVP Candidate Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Why? Cause she is a leader! I have watched her come out of junior college and lead her team (with no history and less talent) to a final four, and follow that up with an NCAA championship BY HERSELF during her senior season. I have seen her win three Olympic gold medals, a world championship, 4 WNBA championships, 2 league MVP awards, 3 defensive player of the year awards and a scoring title. I've seen her go head-to-head with Jordan in his prime to only lose by two points.

With all that said, I have never been more impressed than I am now by her leadership. She is leading this team on greatness. She is not in her prime anymore, and the depth of talent in this league goes to the 11th roster spot. Yet, she is showing that there is a reason she will be inducted into the Naismith and women's <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=63' target='_blank'>basketball</a> hall-of-fame, five years after her retirement. If you're great, then you're always great.

The 2005 Houston Comets are without Tina Thompson and have to be the oldest and one of the least talented teams in the league in comparison to the other teams. Yet, Sheryl is taking charge.

That is why she is still the most loved and the five-time top vote-getter. She isn't just about making herself a great player, but making her teammates better.

Sorry, but when Chamique Holdsclaw reach the level of greatness when she can do more for her stats, then her fans can mouth off. Until then, Sheryl is leading a team that would be six or seven games under .500 had Van made that trade. Chamique would've been the league's leading scorer and rebounder, and it would've been everyone else's fault.

Swoopes_O'grady

PostPosted: 07/05/05 8:52 pm    ::: Re: Sheryl Swoopes Is The LEADING 2005 MVP Candidate Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

With all that said, I have never been more impressed than I am now by her leadership. She is leading this team on greatness. She is not in her prime anymore, and the depth of talent in this league goes to the 11th roster spot. Yet, she is showing that there is a reason she will be inducted into the Naismith and women's basketball hall-of-fame, five years after her retirement. If you're great, then you're always great.

G, you hit the nail on the head! I couldn't agree with you more. Sheryl is AWESOME!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 07/05/05 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very proud of the job she's doing. An ACL tear, off-the-court issues, etc. can't stop her from showing the world how great she is! I can't begin to imagine how much more she would've accomplished if she'd been healthy throughout her professional career. The birth of her son is a beautiful thing, so that is in another category. However, the injuries that have held her back, couldn't do so for long.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/05/05 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
I'm very proud of the job she's doing. An ACL tear, off-the-court issues, etc. can't stop her from showing the world how great she is! I can't begin to imagine how much more she would've accomplished if she'd been healthy throughout her professional career. The birth of her son is a beautiful thing, so that is in another category. However, the injuries that have held her back, couldn't do so for long.

I thought you left for NYC to get married.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 07/05/05 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
MT_Swoopes wrote:

I don't leave until this weekend. Then my long sabbatical from work begins. The wedding isn't until the 17th.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/05/05 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now she's got a shot at it. She's kind of making a quiet case for it. She needs to put down a couple 30 point games in July and, of course, the Comets need to take this win column deep into double digits.

Taj is already there, however. But if Swoopes gets out in front in points again that'll make a big difference and as long as the Comets keep winning and Swoopes is ahead of Taj in points, Swoopes probably is the front runner.

But in terms of leadership? Hey... nobody else even comes close. Maybe Yo and Leslie in terms of spirit but Swoopes is just plain a smarter woman. She's psychological, she's a better verbal leader to her teammates. She's smarter about the game, her on court vision is second to no one else's, her effort and the example she sets by going all out is up there with Yo and Leslie's.

So yeah, I think Swoopes is very close to stealing that 3rd MVP award.

PostPosted: 07/05/05 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the peeps that wanted her gone in Houston, ain't sayin' shit now. Of course, they're waiting for the first chance to throw salt. But, she has shut their asses up, for now

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/05/05 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She's kind of making a quiet case for it. She needs to put down a couple 30 point games i

thursday would be good for me....triple threat and all

PostPosted: 07/06/05 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also... Swoopes has something that NO ONE except for Cooper has. Incredible really because it's much more common with male sports.

Swoopes always does what she does with an eye on the game.

Sorry. Not in this league. lol! Now if you love NFL football you've seen the greats. Stabler, Montana, Elway, plying their trade against a clock and under pressure and behind so often it's just part of the sport.

But in basketball great down the stretch play is required on almost a nightly basis but that element is just about missing in the WNBA. The NBA is decades ahead of us in the drama department.

In the WNBA, it's been Swoopes and Cooper. That's it. Everyone else gets hot when they're hot and you wouldn't know the difference between the last two minutes and the first. That's Leslie, Yo... doesn't matter. Maybe Cash will pick it up. Taurasi might, too. She's got the internals. LJ and Bird too. Actually there's a lot of it on the horizon.

But all these other WNBA stars do WHAT they can, WHEN they can. It's not willy nilly but it's almost like that. They'll exploit the weaknesses when they're there, get hot when they can, but night in and night out playing to win within the context of what's happening in the game? Sorry, no effen way.

Sheryl Swoopes? Get the HELL outta here. It's on her like black skin. As genaro was saying, you go back and read the game recaps from every championship she's ever won and the same things jump out at you. "Swoopes scored 10 points in the last three minutes." lol! She can't even help it.

I used to say that the most exciting thing in sports is to watch the last two minutes of the Houston Comets losing a basketball game. Because Swoopes and Cooper together were like a couple of mad hornets.

Go back and watch the last two minutes of game 2 of the 2000 Western Conference finals. Or the last 5 minutes of game 20 the 1998 Finals with the Mercury. Oops. What am I saying? They WON those games. lol!

But that's the shit I'm talking about.

PostPosted: 07/06/05 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
MT_Swoopes wrote:

I don't leave until this weekend. Then my long sabbatical from work begins. The wedding isn't until the 17th.

MY friend. (We used to be partners. lol! I don't know what I did to blow that but I'm sorry.)

I'm happy to hear this news that you're getting married, MT! I wish you EVERY happiness. You go, young man. Eternal bliss for you!

db

PostPosted: 07/06/05 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
MT_Swoopes wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
MT_Swoopes wrote:

MY friend. (We used to be partners. lol! I don't know what I did to blow that but I'm sorry.)

I'm happy to hear this news that you're getting married, MT! I wish you EVERY happiness. You go, young man. Eternal bliss for you!

db

Stop it! You know you're still my partner-in-crime. It just goes unsaid, 'cause it's been how many years now? I thought you knew I was getting married. I haven't been keeping it a secret from the boards.

Anyhow, I am off to NY (where all of my family is). My fiance has already been there for a week. The wedding shower was this past weekend, and I couldn't make it, 'cause I have to finish some business. Anyway, the wedding and reception is on Sunday, July 17 at the Botanical Gardens.

I can't wait till I'm married and it's over. My fiance has had to deal with so much b!tching and groaning from family members as to whom should come. Each person is worth dam*n near $300 dollars in food. So, she had to make sure that it's people who we are close to, and not a friend of a friend. If it was my choice, we'd already be married at City Hall. However, I'm supporting her wedding day dream. Did I say, I can't wait till it's over?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: