RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 06/30/05 5:00 pm    ::: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

All told, more than 12,000 Brazilians have been apprehended trying to cross the United States-Mexican border this year, exceeding the number detained in all of 2004 and pushing Brazilians to the top of the category known as "other than Mexicans."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/international/americas/30brazil.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=26299d6a40afe382&ex=1120795200&emc=eta1

PostPosted: 06/30/05 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i read that. i was stunned. had no idea. a friend told me today she had watched "america" when she was in brasil recently. really good story.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 3:46 pm    ::: Re: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
All told, more than 12,000 Brazilians have been apprehended trying to cross the United States-Mexican border this year, exceeding the number detained in all of 2004 and pushing Brazilians to the top of the category known as "other than Mexicans."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/international/americas/30brazil.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=26299d6a40afe382&ex=1120795200&emc=eta1

please please please, let some of them turn up in Phoenix to open a retaurant Wink with real mojitos!!!!

PostPosted: 07/01/05 4:16 pm    ::: Re: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

Thinking of making a run for the border BCBG? Wink

Mojitos are Cuban Shocked
    Caipirinhas are Brazilian Exclamation

caune

PostPosted: 07/01/05 4:20 pm    ::: Re: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Thinking of making a run for the border BCBG? Wink

Mojitos are Cuban Shocked
    Caipirinhas are Brazilian Exclamation

well dammit, let some cubans "stream" Embarassed over the boreder too

PostPosted: 07/01/05 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And caipirinhas are WAY better. Bibb and stupka can vouch for me on that one Wink

PostPosted: 07/01/05 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
And caipirinhas are WAY better. Bibb and stupka can vouch for me on that one Wink

Yeah, just be careful of what brand cachaça you get it made with... Here Pirassununga 51 is a bit rare, so we get another brand called Pitú... And tastes exactly as it sounds Razz

But what do you expect... I mean with a lobster on the front, it's got to be good right? Wink

There are many variations on it too compared to the mojito, which is nice... strawberries is popular here ever since it got out that Harrison Ford likes them made that way... No suprise I guess, considering Lucas Arts just opened their campus in San Francisco Exclamation

sambista

PostPosted: 07/01/05 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, brasilians don't drink no stinkin' mojitos! (i don't think they do . . .)

pirassununga 51 is pretty rot gut. i remember when it was in the grocery stores for about 50 cents. pitú is just a slight improvement, but it's what you'll find at the duty-free at the airport. i've been nursing a pretty nice bottle of velho barreiro, which my carioca sister brought up the last time. but the best i've ever had is fim de século, from paraty.

i've been seeing a lot of promotion lately for "beleza pura," a brand of cachaça i hadn't heard of (is it new, bcbg?). they seem to be poised to make cachaça more readily available in the states. they're sponsoring a brasilian film/media festival this coming week in conjunction with moma and some other ny venues. and the sunday after the asg (hope i can get back in time), they're having a forró party with a feijoada/caipirinha feast at s.o.b.'s . . . isso!

so, caune, if you wanna know about caipirinhas and other things brasilian, this beleza pura company has a pretty cool website that kinda branches out nicely.

http://www.belezabrazil.com/

PostPosted: 07/01/05 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

whats the difference?
And how do I pronounce caipirinhas so I don't look like an idiot when trying to order one Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/01/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ky-pid-EEN-yah

a caipirinha is made by mixing muddled sugar and lime wedges with cachaça, then shaking vigorously. it should taste more sweet than tart - otherwise, it's been done wrong. it goes down easy, but when you stand up, watch out! cachaça is a sugar cane rum from brasil. i don't drink rum (except this), but a former colleague who is a rum expert says he'd never tasted a rum quite like cachaça.

i honestly don't know how mojitos are made, but they have mint in them, and that is definitely not a caiprinha.

(my other favorite, which you'd prolly have to get from a real brasilian bar, is a batida de maracujá. that's a shot of cachaça and passion fruit.)

we'll find you a place, caune. besides, i'm getting thirsty.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how 'bout this, caune?

http://www.fogoebrasa.com/

okay, i've seen the pictures and now i'm hungry, too.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 7:02 pm    ::: Re: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

mel, i want to take you to this brazilian place i like when you are in town so you can tell me whether the caipirinhas are acceptable. my treat. this place made me covert from mojitos, so i think it's good, but i'm no expert.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:24 pm    ::: Re: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
mel, i want to take you to this brazilian place i like when you are in town so you can tell me whether the caipirinhas are acceptable. my treat. this place made me covert from mojitos, so i think it's good, but i'm no expert.

Booze always makes me covert, too. I few drinks and I think I'm James Bond.

PostPosted: 07/05/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
how 'bout this, caune?

http://www.fogoebrasa.com/

okay, i've seen the pictures and now i'm hungry, too.

LOL, I just read about that place on the plane back from LA last night, I will go there very soon!

The drinks do sound the same minus the gound up mint leave at the bottom. I'll do a taste comparison and get back to you Wink

PostPosted: 07/05/05 1:11 pm    ::: Re: Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
herrade wrote:

Booze always makes me covert, too. I few drinks and I think I'm James Bond.

A Caipirinha. Shaken, not stirred.

But I think mine are usually made by grinding it with a pestle, not shaking Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: