RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dumb scheduling by the W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/04/05 8:45 am    ::: Dumb scheduling by the W Reply Reply with quote

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/SPORTS/507040345

From June 15-18, the Fever had three games in four days. Then the schedule has them playing three games in 24 days.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/04/05 8:53 am    ::: Re: Dumb scheduling by the W Reply Reply with quote

I don't think you'll get many arguments on this subject, the scheduling is a joke, period. Back to backs that are home and away, or vice versa.

I was looking at the schedules, and was thinking how nice it would be if some teams had some decent home weekend games, it is very fan unfriendly in my book. It would be nice to be able to take a day off, fly in somewhere and spend the weekend and catch a couple of 'W' games, not many opportunities for stuff like that, but it seems to be no problem to schedule these back to backs and what surprises me so much, is how many of the back to backs are home and away, or away and home.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 07/04/05 9:15 am    ::: Re: Dumb scheduling by the W Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
I don't think you'll get many arguments on this subject, the scheduling is a joke, period. Back to backs that are home and away, or vice versa.

I was looking at the schedules, and was thinking how nice it would be if some teams had some decent home weekend games, it is very fan unfriendly in my book. It would be nice to be able to take a day off, fly in somewhere and spend the weekend and catch a couple of 'W' games, not many opportunities for stuff like that, but it seems to be no problem to schedule these back to backs and what surprises me so much, is how many of the back to backs are home and away, or away and home.

(1) How common are these sorts of back to backs for the men? I know it's more grueling in the W because there are no private planes, but I'm just wondering.

(2) The people who make the W schedules have to take into account not just what the 13 teams want and need but the other demands on the arenas: if there's a moneymaking weeklong event in Conseco, for example, the Fever can't play a home game that week. Multiply that by 13, and then subtract physically impossible combinations (East Coast/ West Coast back-to-backs, for example), and then try to avoid nights on which the league would rather not have games (MNBA finals, Mondays)...

I'm not saying the league can't do better scheduling-- I think it can!-- I'm just saying it's complicated and hard.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/04/05 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe flying commercial makes the scheduling crazier than it would otherwise be. I suspect that it isn't easy to work it all out.

I agree completely with Rebkell about the weekend games. Specifically SATURDAY games. The league has them, but as it worked out, Indiana (the only WNBA city that's within doable driving distance on a regular basis for me) won't have their first Saturday home game until August 6. The only Sunday home game was the first weekend of the season.

There have been some Friday games and there will be more, but if you live several hours away, you still have to take at least half a day off work to get there. The Friday games are better than the weeknight games, but it sure would be nice to have more Saturday and Sunday opportunities.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 07/04/05 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After Thursday, the Mystics won't have another home game for 19 days.

Also, no weekend home games in July.

Last edited by styxfan22 on 07/04/05 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

NBA teams play back-to-back many times each season, and they are rarely home-home. Picking a team at random, the Grizzlies had 22 back-to-backs last season and none were home-home.

OTOH, NBA teams don't get bunches of days off between games. Looking at Memphis again, other than the All Star break they had only one break longer than three days (a four day break in early February). Most of the off days came in ones and twos. They certainly didn't have a span of three games in 24 days, even around the AS break.

Doesn't every team get stuck with a cluster of games close together?

Private planes could make a big difference. I never thought about it until the Fever were on my connecting flight in MPLS last season. I remembere thinking if the flight is delayed, they won't have much rest or warmup before the game. For me it wouldn't be a big deal - just less time to hang out in Indy.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/04/05 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether it's hard or complicated it doesn't mean that we can't scream about the scheduling. It simply MUST be screamed about. It's too fucked up. The Comets schedule, which is really the only one I'm paying attention to, has been so screwy and this isn't even the problem part of thier schedule. Soon will come the hellish part where they make up for all these long gaps.

It's obvious that 'WNBA' doesn't yet carry with it the cachet to give the games a priority in most arenas and cities and if you couple that with the non-major league travel arrangments you could easily, I guess, get something like this.

Or at least that's how it appears.

But hang on a minute. But then why does the league do so many other stupid things, glaring errors of commision or ommision, etc. which we catch all the time? So we should just assume they're doing the very best scheduling job they can under exasperating circumstances when we've seen SO much evidence that points to low performance standards in other areas?

Well I'm not really willing to give them a pass. I think they screw up a lot. lol! Too much to just assume that a messed up schedule is something that's foisted upon them by circumstances out of their control and that it's not the product of their own incompetance.

Just my two cents.

And a good morning to you all! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 07/04/05 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Doesn't every team get stuck with a cluster of games close together?

Private planes could make a big difference. I never thought about it until the Fever were on my connecting flight in MPLS last season. I remembere thinking if the flight is delayed, they won't have much rest or warmup before the game. For me it wouldn't be a big deal - just less time to hang out in Indy.

But is airline scheduling why a team would have 3 games in 4 days and then 3 games in 24 days?

PostPosted: 07/04/05 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad others have noticed the long lay-offs for Indiana--the 3 games in 24 days. Then they have to play 6 games in 11 days. That takes them through July 23. After two off days, they finish July (or July finishes them) with 3 games in 6 days. So first it's rust (the 3 in 24) and then fatigue (9 in 20 days).

The problem doesn't appear to be that Conseco is booked for other events. Here's the schedule for July and you can click PREV MONTH to look at June. Looks pretty open to me!

http://www.consecofieldhouse.com/events~tmonth~7~tyear~2005~zTeam~.asp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: