RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Should be #1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/05/05 10:33 pm    ::: Who Should be #1? Reply Reply with quote

Your Choices:

Duke
Baylor
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Michigan State
Rutgers

My choice: Duke, then Baylor, then Rutgers (2 losses to unranked ODU & Temple hurts them).

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa?

They are the last undefeated team...

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iowa?

True...but I don't think they have the quality of wins that the other teams I listed have.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Iowa?

True...but I don't think they have the quality of wins that the other teams I listed have.

You mentioned North Carolina, so I didn't think quality wins was an issue. The Tar Heels only have one win over a ranked opponent, and that was before Thanksgiving.

LSU could stay #1. They have plenty of good wins and just the one loss.

Iowa isn't the answer, but I thought they deserved a mention at least.

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry. I only mentioned UNC because they were in the Top 5 to begin with. LSU lost to the #14/19 team in the country, so they will drop. Duke or Baylor will move up to #1 in my opinion. My money is on Duke as they have wins over then ranked Penn State, Kansas State, Purdue, and Tennessee. Their one loss was @ Notre Dame, and without the services of Chante Black. If they beat VT, they'll be 14-1.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll have to see the weekend. Everybody's got games and most have tough games.

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, Pilight.

It's just one loss. Perhaps LSU is still #1 or about tied with Duke.

Let's see after this weekend.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/06/05 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, Pilight.

It's just one loss. Perhaps LSU is still #1 or about tied with Duke.

Let's see after this weekend.

If Duke stays clean and stays reasonably close to expectations, I'd say they will get it.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 01/06/05 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking LSU is still number one this next week. Rutgers obviously moves way, way up in the rankings.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/06/05 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke will obviously move up. There is unbelievable bias toward Duke in the poll voting and those pollsters have just been waiting for a chance to move those Dukies to number one.

Right Cam? Right BBall? Laughing

This message approved by: The Boneyard Commission for the Elimination of Duke basketball

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/06/05 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyCop claimed that Duke should not be #1 because the ranked teams Duke beat were overrated and dropped after they lost. DUH. Of course the team would drop after a loss!!! Better yet, one of those ranked teams was Tennessee, the team UConn plays on Saturday. Want to yell that "overrated" comment a little louder, Tony? Paging Karma...

And I do love the new arguments. Before this season, the CW was that Duke would be terrible without Beard and Tillis and Coach G would be exposed. Now, the new CW is that Duke is winning because of its talent and less-than-average schedule. The non-conference schedule was quite good, considering we played all but one of the tough games on the road or at neutral sites. And when Duke is winning, it is because of the talent...even though four months ago, we had none.

dtsnms wrote:
Duke will obviously move up. There is unbelievable bias toward Duke in the poll voting and those pollsters have just been waiting for a chance to move those Dukies to number one.

Right Cam? Right BBall? Laughing

This message approved by: The Boneyard Commission for the Elimination of Duke basketball

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/06/05 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CamrnCrz1974"]TonyCop claimed that Duke should not be #1 because the ranked teams Duke beat were overrated and dropped after they lost. DUH. Of course the team would drop after a loss!!! Better yet, one of those ranked teams was Tennessee, the team UConn plays on Saturday. Want to yell that "overrated" comment a little louder, Tony? Paging Karma...

And I do love the new arguments. Before this season, the CW was that Duke would be terrible without Beard and Tillis and Coach G would be exposed. Now, the new CW is that Duke is winning because of its talent and less-than-average schedule. The non-conference schedule was quite good, considering we played all but one of the tough games on the road or at neutral sites. And when Duke is winning, it is because of the talent...even though four months ago, we had none.

LOL, well I love the "Taurasi's the best player ever, but we won't miss her..." comments before the season started.....that came back to bite 'em in the butt.

IMO RU should be first (their two losses being without Cappie)...there are only a few teams that really stick out from the rest..LSU and RU...and really I don't think much other teams do. Duke has played better than most, but not better than ND Baylor ect....IMO, RU SHOULD be #1. But they won't jump that much in the polls. I think whoever #2 is ( Duke I think.) will be #1. However, I expect LSU, Ru, Duke, ND, and Baylor all to have people voting for them as #1.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/06/05 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL, well I love the "Taurasi's the best player ever, but we won't miss her..." comments before the season started.....that came back to bite 'em in the butt.

A few people said that, though others dismissed it. Still, it was surprising at the time...and looks silly now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: