RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coyle mad bout lack of effort

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lior

PostPosted: 07/01/05 9:41 am    ::: Coyle mad bout lack of effort Reply Reply with quote

That's what all the papers say. These are the interesting qoutes, and it seems like to me VJ isn't quite on the same page as Pat. Nobody talked to Crystal, of course

COACH RIPS LIBS
http://www.nypost.com/sports/25702.htm
I'm disappointed in their effort," Coyle said. "It's the second straight game when the effort wasn't there. But this team won't give up under my watch."
"Sacramento is supposed to be the best team in the league," said Vickie Johnson

Coyle rips Liberty effort
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/324194p-277106c.html
"What bothered me most about that? Probably our effort," Coyle said after emerging from the dressing room. "I mean, we went in and probably over-emphasized the boards. And to do that and be outrebounded by 20 is pretty embarrassing."

Liberty finds glass half-empty in defeat
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1120197050135780.xml&coll=1
"I think they controlled the boards. But defensively, we played well and didn't make shots, and sometimes it's like that," Johnson said. "Sacramento is supposed to be the best team in the league, and what did they score? And we still had a chance to win (late in the second half), when we were down by five."

Liberty effort upsets coach
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/liberty/ny-splib014326591jul01,0,992364.story?coll=ny-liberty-headlines
"At the end of the game, three minutes left, we're still in the game. So that's kind of the thing that's positive about it," Liberty center Ann Wauters said. "But we didn't really get the shots that we wanted, we didn't execute and we didn't get rebounds. And if you give that team so much more opportunities to score, it's going to be tough."

Inside game does in Liberty
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050701/SPORTS01/507010360/1045
"DeMya has really turned a corner for us," Whisenant said. "One of the (offseason) trades I made was to get more perimeter shooting. One of the reasons I did that was to get DeMya off the wing and back inside where she belongs.

Liberty fall short
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjYmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3MTU4MjcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
"It was vintage Chelsea. All the little things, the intangibles, that a team needs to win," Stringer said. "That's the hustle play. That's what makes great players."

sambista

PostPosted: 07/01/05 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh, jeez. now she sounds like trudi! is it something in the water?!

PostPosted: 07/01/05 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why can't teams that lose a close game just admit that the other team was better? Sacramento has been bustin' everybody's chops this year...it is not an embarrassment to lose to an arguably better team. Something more effective than criticizing the players is to set up a game plan where they can work on certain parts of their team play and do the best they can to win the thing. You never know...either team can have a blistering offensive night and the other completely fall apart. But, a lot can be achieved and accomplished in a good loss.

Does that make sense? I am sure Seattle never dreamed they could possibly lose to SASS...but, look at that outcome.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still say that if our shooters knock down shots, we have a better chance of winning. The rebounding was disgusting, to get done in by 20 boards is embarrassing.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no question about the game...When the Liberty shoot poorly they LOSE! This is a game they could have won...but no shots were falling. I felt bad for C-Rob and for Elana...they both are better shooters than last night would suggest

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not the losing part that bother us (or Patty I'm sure). It's the HOW we lost. I don't necessarily think Sacto is that much better, if at all. However, we played SOOOO poorly it's not even funny. Sacto wasn't going off either (with the exception of DeMya "Walk til I can't walk no more' Walker).

Ann did a pretty good job on Yo (9 pts, 7 boards, Ann had 12/7). The difference was DeMya & us not being able to hit water from the boat. Sacto shot 39% that doesn't exactly say stellar. The Libs came to lose, period. Becky was absent (in terms of leadership), VJ & C-Rob were offensively absent, Elena's body was there, nothing else was. Give some credit to Ann to attempting to save face, the Baby was...eh! (although the block to Yo was SPECTACULAR) and Loree Moore was pretty good.

yes there's nothing wrong with losing to a potentially superior team but when you play almost like a biddy team then you most likely will lose the game.

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Why can't teams that lose a close game just admit that the other team was better? Sacramento has been bustin' everybody's chops this year...it is not an embarrassment to lose to an arguably better team. Something more effective than criticizing the players is to set up a game plan where they can work on certain parts of their team play and do the best they can to win the thing. You never know...either team can have a blistering offensive night and the other completely fall apart. But, a lot can be achieved and accomplished in a good loss.

Does that make sense? I am sure Seattle never dreamed they could possibly lose to SASS...but, look at that outcome.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sacto obviously played as well as they had to in order to win the game. That makes me nuts about a team, too. If my team is playing one that is regarded much better than mine, I want to see how my team stacks up against their A game...not them playing just well enough to win. It doesn't help my team see where they need improvement.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Why can't teams that lose a close game just admit that the other team was better? Sacramento has been bustin' everybody's chops this year...it is not an embarrassment to lose to an arguably better team.

She's afraid that the team won't give 100% effort when they play Sacto again on the 22nd if she says that. If the players go in thinking "our own coach doesn't even think we can beat those girls" what kind of chance do you think they'll have? That's not even considering the possibility of meeting them in the finals.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but Sacto didn't "obviously played well". They were NOT the Sacto that could blow away a team. If shooting 39% is well to you, then we have different versions of that well is. Yo missed TWO consecutive wide open layups. Both teams threw away the ball over and over. This game reminded me about the game we had against Minny (that awful 70's themed night) that ended 48-44. Obviously Minny played "better" as they won the game, but it was one of those games. Painful to watch!!!!

Just out of curiosity, are youin Sacto?? Was the game on TV over there? I'm only asking b/c there was a media 'table' set up above the other tunnel (opposite to where the players come out) with 3 people I've never seen before. So I was wondering if they were Sacto media.

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Sacto obviously played as well as they had to in order to win the game. That makes me nuts about a team, too. If my team is playing one that is regarded much better than mine, I want to see how my team stacks up against their A game...not them playing just well enough to win. It doesn't help my team see where they need improvement.

sambista

PostPosted: 07/01/05 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

keira's right - that wasn't the sacto team that has dominated on the west coast. yo, for one, even tho she posted a dub-dub, was off her game.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are youin Sacto?? Was the game on TV over there? I'm only asking b/c there was a media 'table' set up above the other tunnel (opposite to where the players come out) with 3 people I've never seen before. So I was wondering if they were Sacto media.

Keira- I sit right behind those media people and they are usually visiting RADIO announcers and I do believe they were last night as well. Sacto gets good coverage. Liberty gets shit. (anything in the NY Times today?) I've heard not - I'm about to check.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/01/05 12:22 pm    ::: Re: Coyle mad bout lack of effort Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It's all a-boards for Monarchs

The game was more than 15 minutes old before the Liberty got an offensive rebound, and it would be New York's only one of the first half.

"That's what we do," Walker said. "Coach has been on us - we have been outrebounded I think three out of the last four or five games that we played - and coach has really been on us that we gotta get on the boards. We're athletic, and that's one of our strengths. It was a focus of ours."

The final rebounding stats showed the Monarchs with a 44-24 advantage and the Liberty limited to four offensive rebounds. Liberty coach Pat Coyle called the differential, "pretty embarrassing."

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/monarchs/story/13159987p-14003605c.html

Looks like they gave Tamara Moore some extended shore leave... Shocked

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/01/05 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
keira's right - that wasn't the sacto team that has dominated on the west coast. yo, for one, even tho she posted a dub-dub, was off her game.

the Libs constantly play up( or down ) to their opponents level...they were playing at home, all they had to do was stay close in the first half.....other than DW, the Monarch`s play did not live up to the pre game hype.......the Libs started to push instead of staying the course and the wheels fell off

Any way you can play, we can play worser.....

We can play any game worser than you ......(sigh)

PostPosted: 07/01/05 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well offensively, the Monarchs haven't looked good for about four games now. But the only team that has been good enough to actually outscore Sacramento has been Connecticut. So for now, Sac's defense is winning games. It may not be pretty, but it gets the job done.

But Sac needs to get out of this offensive funk. They aren't gonna keep winning games if they can't score. They'll be fine when Powell and Lawson get back to their sharp-shooting ways...but until then, the games (even the wins) are painful to watch.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/01/05 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Annie Oakley!! Smile

bigsportzbabe wrote:
sebibb wrote:

the Libs constantly play up( or down ) to their opponents level...they were playing at home, all they had to do was stay close in the first half.....other than DW, the Monarch`s play did not live up to the pre game hype.......the Libs started to push instead of staying the course and the wheels fell off

Any way you can play, we can play worser.....

We can play any game worser than you ......(sigh)

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 07/01/05 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"And with seven of New York's next nine games on the road"

Patty's not going to make it and I also wonder if Chicago would be interested in naming their team the Blaze?
bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/01/05 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
"And with seven of New York's next nine games on the road"

Patty's not going to make it and I also wonder if Chicago would be interested in naming their team the Blaze?

already taken

http://www.nwbl.com/blaze/

Catch plays for them

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: