RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Whoo Hoo! New Job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovydal

PostPosted: 06/27/05 8:58 pm    ::: Whoo Hoo! New Job! Reply Reply with quote

So a few weeks ago, I get this job at a bagel joint w/ the promise of my "own" store within a year - and 50-60+ K a year once I do. (that's a lot of money to me) At the time I was happy to have anything because it was really hard to find work here.
But it wasn't long before I got bored...

Then today, I get the call from the Indianapolis Museum of Art - I got a job as an exhibit technician. I applied over a month ago and interviewed last week. It doesn't pay much, but I really wanted this. Our dept handles everything involved with setting up exhibits - engineering and building display cases, making intricate little things that discreetly hold up works of art.
Most of my life, I've worked in the art field - the job is perfect for me!

But Damn! I could make twice as much if I just stay with the job I have!

Oh well, it's just a fucking bagel joint - LOL!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations! Smile

As well as more interesting, it sounds like a much healthier career too

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your own store sounds nice, but it ain't worth it. You'll wind up working way too many hours.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Congratulations! :)

As well as more interesting, it sounds like a much healthier career too

Thanks!
Definitely healthier!
I quickly realized this company (Einstein Bros) wasn't anything like the little cafe I ran back in LA.
I put in an 11 1/2 hour shift today and the entire time I wanted to be somewhere else.

You're right Pilight. When I was managing a cafe before, I could make my own schedule, but work always got in the way of completing my degree - and the school was across the street! - LOL!
It always ends up being 70 hours a week.

Last edited by Slovydal on 06/27/05 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Your own store sounds nice, but it ain't worth it. You'll wind up working way too many hours.

OHHH yes. Take the artsy job. Have a life. You'll work 10-12 hours a day as a manager in food and longer than that as an owner. For what? To sweat numbers for the rest of your life.

This other job sounds fantastic. Congrats, Slovy!

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is about a year or so old. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Smoovie/ArtsyDude.swf
But, hearing about your new job I had to dig it out. It was for a local show, that features animators "Will Animate For Food" http://willanimateforfood.com

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 06/28/05 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

slovy doll,
congrats on the museum job, but if you don't mind i'd like an everything bagel, toasted, with vegetable cream cheese...yes, people do tell me i look a lot like kathy bates..and if i wanted to find you...what is the nearest cross street to the museum?

PostPosted: 06/28/05 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jersey_stupka wrote:
slovy doll,
congrats on the museum job, but if you don't mind i'd like an everything bagel, toasted, with vegetable cream cheese...yes, people do tell me i look a lot like kathy bates..and if i wanted to find you...what is the nearest cross street to the museum?

Einstein Bros are the best.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/28/05 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations, Slovy! Now we have to figure out how long before you move to Phoenix, where you should have moved in the first place. Laughing

sambista

PostPosted: 06/28/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:
jersey_stupka wrote:
slovy doll,

Einstein Bros are the best.

they are the best. wish there was one near where i lived.

good luck on the new gig.

PostPosted: 06/28/05 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jersey_stupka wrote:
slovy doll,

Geez, you DO NOT look like Kathy Bates. People who say that need to wear glasses thicker than yours! j/k! Shocked

Also, congrats on the new job, Slovy Doll Wink

PostPosted: 06/28/05 3:57 pm    ::: Re: Whoo Hoo! New Job! Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
So a few weeks ago, I get this job at a bagel joint w/ the promise of my "own" store within a year - and 50-60+ K a year once I do. (that's a lot of money to me) At the time I was happy to have anything because it was really hard to find work here.
But it wasn't long before I got bored...

Then today, I get the call from the Indianapolis Museum of Art - I got a job as an exhibit technician. I applied over a month ago and interviewed last week. It doesn't pay much, but I really wanted this. Our dept handles everything involved with setting up exhibits - engineering and building display cases, making intricate little things that discreetly hold up works of art.
Most of my life, I've worked in the art field - the job is perfect for me!

But Damn! I could make twice as much if I just stay with the job I have!

Oh well, it's just a fucking bagel joint - LOL!

Wow, I love the Indianapolis Museum of Art! It's really a great museum, very well planned with very good displays!
Of course I also love Einsteins bagel dogs Rolling Eyes but the museum seems a better place for you! Congrats

PostPosted: 06/28/05 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats on the new job, Slovy. It must be that time of year because I'm moving jobs as well (same profession, new company).
Slovydal

PostPosted: 06/28/05 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Congratulations, Slovy! Now we have to figure out how long before you move to Phoenix, where you should have moved in the first place. :lol:

LOL!

I did almost move to PHX! (too much like LA)
Cam, we'll see how I hold up in the winter...

I'm keeping my Sundays at Einstein Bros (need $ - I've been shopping)

IMA is at Michigan Road and 38th (4 miles from my apt!) and you can't bring the bagel into the museum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: