RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spirit in Florida: Day one of games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:10 pm    ::: Spirit in Florida: Day one of games Reply Reply with quote

Hi all from hot, humid and rainy Orlando. After a rousing opening ceremony last night and a first day at Disney World, the Spirit took the court for the first day of pool play...

...and promptly got their doors blown off by the Maryland Flames. Deer in the headlights type play; down 22-5 after one quarter, lost the game by about 30. They felt like crap, but then one of the parents from their team pointed out to the kids that the Flames went Sweet Sixteen last year, and returned almost their whole team. They are here to win a championship, we are here to compete.

With that in mind, tonight they played the Renegades from the Philly area. And promptly blew their doors off! Killed them. The Spirit came out and played the best half of the season. Their two best players Morgan and Ashley had 13 and 16 in the FIRST HALF. Final was 41-12. Total annihiliaton.

On the Dani front, she played so-so in game one, but I found out she had slightly sprained her ankle during the game. So after ice and a trainer tape job for game two (I think she felt cool), she played well in game two; no points but a sweet assist and some good defense.

Tomorrow at 3 we play Dayton Lady Hoopsters, home of Tamika WIlliams and Alison Bales. With a good performance the Spirit will finish second in their pool, and advance to the winners' bracket!

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Spirit. Keep 'em focused dad.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just yell and scream and videotape.

Interesting sidenote, Antonio Davis of the Bulls has a daughter on one team that's down here and is an assistant coach. Damn, the man is big.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Interesting sidenote, Antonio Davis of the Bulls has a daughter on one team that's down here and is an assistant coach. Damn, the man is big.

So, what do you have to do to advance, and if you advance what then?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are guaranteed 5 games. First they finish game 3 in pool play tomorrow. Top two teams make the winners' bracket and advance into a regular tournament.

Botttom two drop into a double elim tournament challenge bracket, where the eventual winner moves back up into the winners' bracket.

So I guess to answer, it depends on how they do tomorrow what the next step is.

peaceplease

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good Luck Spirit! Keep up the good work! Smile

PEACE
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/28/05 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great experience to play against teams so much better than you are...it shows you where you want to be. Then you have to figure out how to get where those elite teams are...so it is all part of the process of growing.

The girls will have some great stories to tell their daughters some day.

GO SPIRIT!!!

bullsky

PostPosted: 06/28/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I didnt know AD did that. He's one of the players on the Bulls that led them on their run this year and will lead them through future runs. I bet hes a good coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: