RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCSB Schedule Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 06/17/05 8:07 pm    ::: UCSB Schedule Released Reply Reply with quote

Road OOC games at: Michigan St, Stanford, Louisville, BYU, Weber State, Loyola Marymount
Home OOC games: Richmond, St. Mary's, UCLA, Arizona, Pepperdine

http://ucsbgauchos.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061705aaa.html

It's nice to be back up to 11 OOC games

It'll be nice to see Araceli Gil come home for a game too Smile

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/17/05 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Road OOC games at: Michigan St, Stanford, Louisville, BYU, Weber State, Loyola Marymount
Home OOC games: Richmond, St. Mary's, UCLA, Arizona, Pepperdine

LSU out of the loop?

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 06/17/05 8:22 pm    ::: LSU Reply Reply with quote

Last year's LSU game in Santa Barbara was a return trip from when we went there two years before. I would think we would be open to renewing that agreement (except maybe for budget reasons?), but haven't heard anything either way.

Purdue is the team we've been playing consistently that is semi-conspicuously missing.

Stanford is a nice add that I've wanted for a long time though, and MSU should be a good add too, so can't complain too much about who's missing. Would've been nice to have an Louisiana trip instead of the Utah trip, but we've got some decent question marks next year and the schedule may be tough enough as it is. Sad

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/17/05 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I didn't even see Stanford Embarassed

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/18/05 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang it. I had been holding out hope that Purdue would play UCSB. Maybe next year.

Our schedule is looking worse and worse.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 06/18/05 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I wonder if y'all are taking it easy to break in the new talent? I also suspect a couple other things, like:

1) Our scheduler has some type of directive of playing 2 probable top ten teams, no more, no less (it's been a common theme of our schedule for the past few years)

2) Y'all know us too well Razz

3) If Young doesn't play for us next year, we will probably too one dimensional and be hunting for scoring and it could be a tough year.

Anyway, I hope it's a series that is renewed (it'd be great to get to see your new class in person Smile ).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/18/05 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
Yeah, I wonder if y'all are taking it easy to break in the new talent? I also suspect a couple other things, like:

1) Our scheduler has some type of directive of playing 2 probable top ten teams, no more, no less (it's been a common theme of our schedule for the past few years)

2) Y'all know us too well Razz

3) If Young doesn't play for us next year, we will probably too one dimensional and be hunting for scoring and it could be a tough year.

Anyway, I hope it's a series that is renewed (it'd be great to get to see your new class in person Smile ).

Those all make sense. Our schedule is looking pretty light for next year, so I am wondering if Curry is wanting to take things a little slow after overscheduling a bit last year. The returners probably don't have a lot of confidence after a very un-Purdue year, so she might what to help them get off on a good foot with some big wins OOC. So far we only look to have three games against potential ranked teams, with Baylor still possible. But a lot of the other teams are pretty low-end.

Next year is the year you want to see Purdue in person. Gearls and Lawless will be seniors and potentially All-Americans and Amber Harris will be a freshman. Should be fun to see them on the court together.

boilerjay

PostPosted: 06/18/05 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCSB's RPI has brought Purdue's down the past couple seasons.

Regardless of how good a team they are and how good the games have been, it's really a lose-lose situation for Purdue.

A win is always tough against UCSB, but it hurts the RPI even if Purdue wins.

Lose and it REALLY hurts the RPI.

I thinks it's a smart decision on Kristy Curry's part.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/19/05 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
UCSB's RPI has brought Purdue's down the past couple seasons.

Regardless of how good a team they are and how good the games have been, it's really a lose-lose situation for Purdue.

A win is always tough against UCSB, but it hurts the RPI even if Purdue wins.

Lose and it REALLY hurts the RPI.

I thinks it's a smart decision on Kristy Curry's part.

I almost buy that. But given that the likes of Butler, IPFW, Western Michigan and Valpo all had RPIs below UCSB -- and three of them far far below -- I find it very hard to believe that was the justification for not playing the Gauchos.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 06/20/05 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't buy that either... we definitely have a low RPI, but even in a down year like last year, we are basically about average for Purdue's SOS

Our 21-8 record last season being 2/3 of the SOS means that our Opponent's Winning % only need to be about 33% to make us an average SOS contributor for Purdue last year.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/20/05 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
Yeah, I don't buy that either... we definitely have a low RPI, but even in a down year like last year, we are basically about average for Purdue's SOS

Our 21-8 record last season being 2/3 of the SOS means that our Opponent's Winning % only need to be about 33% to make us an average SOS contributor for Purdue last year.

The other misconception is that a loss against a team with a lower RPI hurts you more than one against a high RPI. That isn't how it works. The three factors that make up RPI (winning percentage, opponent's winning percentage, and opponents' opponents' winning percentage) affect the formula independently. Meaning a loss to Centenary and a win against Tennessee affect your RPI the same as a win against Centenary and a loss against Tennessee.

Now rankings and public opinion are a different matter, but the formula's don't distinguish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: