RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dawn Staley, do you thang, girl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoovie

PostPosted: 12/29/04 3:03 am    ::: Dawn Staley, do you thang, girl Reply Reply with quote

Staley expects to be assistant coach for 2008 Olympics. My question is, when will we see her coaching in the W?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/10510024.htm?1c

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 12/29/04 3:29 am    ::: Re: Dawn Staley, do you thang, girl Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:
Staley expects to be assistant coach for 2008 Olympics. My question is, when will we see her coaching in the W?

When Philly gets a team, or when Van retires (fingers crossed).

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:34 am    ::: Re: Dawn Staley, do you thang, girl Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
Smoovie wrote:

When Philly gets a team, or when Van retires (fingers crossed).

So, do you guys genuinely believe Staley would/will leave college for the Pros? I have no idea, just wondering what the rest think.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Dawn stays college for a while, unless she can become the first to do both at the same time (which wouldn't surprise me at all).

If she can play and coach college, why not coach both?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang, don't make this Houstonian's heart race this early in the morning!! I was calling for Cheryl Miller to take over the team this last season...now that would be a hoot! Anybody think Michelle Snow might come closer to reaching whatever potential is in that long body of her's under someone like Miller? Staley would have the same effect and you know that Swoopes and Thompson would play for her.

It is difficult to understand, but coaching in the college ranks has its own comfort level. I guess if you achieve all the goals you ever had, you might then consider going to coach the pros. Control is the issue...how much control do you want or need to do the job.

I sincerely hope that Staley is an assistant coach for the 2008 Women's National Team. Donovan is already parked in the right spot for the head coaching job...but I would also like to see McConnell-Serio in that coaching line up, too.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I think Dawn stays college for a while, unless she can become the first to do both at the same time (which wouldn't surprise me at all).

If she can play and coach college, why not coach both?

I don't think she can do that, coaching is pretty much year around/around the clock, and I just don't think she could or would even want to pull something like that off.

I'd stay in college if I were her, but that's just me, but I think college is a better place to build on, and if you're into teaching, college would be great, nobody stays longer than 4 years, and dealing with HS recruits, that don't know it all yet, they know everything in the pros already, just ask them Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/29/04 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You sure about that Reb? Ask Laimbeer is he can coach and broadcast. Dawn has been working full time at staying in playing shape and doing recruiting, so is it that big a change.

At least while coaching she can conference, via phone or computer with the home base as opposed to not being able to practice with teammates in town.

Just a thought; if anyone can do it, it would be Dawn!

By the way, how many years until the UVa job opens for Dawn?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
You sure about that Reb? Ask Laimbeer is he can coach and broadcast. Dawn has been working full time at staying in playing shape and doing recruiting, so is it that big a change.

At least while coaching she can conference, via phone or computer with the home base as opposed to not being able to practice with teammates in town.

Just a thought; if anyone can do it, it would be Dawn!

By the way, how many years until the UVa job opens for Dawn?

Yeah, I still stick by what I said, I think coaching is full time, even moreso than playing and coaching, recruiting, scouting. etc... yeah, I do think it's a completely different thing, of course the standard disclaimer: imho ..

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/29/04 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, it would be really, REALLY tough if not impossible to do. But, I still give my Dawn caveat of if anyone can do it, it would be her!

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I agree, it would be really, REALLY tough if not impossible to do. But, I still give my Dawn caveat of if anyone can do it, it would be her!

I'll give my caveat, I wouldn't want her coaching my team, if she had another job coaching somewhere else, and no I don't think Summitt should be involved with the Mystics, but I still consider it completely different than I would if she had two head coaching jobs.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Dawn would leave her job at Temple short of either a Philly team or, in many years' time, the Charlotte job opening up. She's made a commitment, and I doubt she'd leave it any time soon.

(now with spelling variations)
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll take Dawn Staley in NY!! Hell, she'll be close to Philly and she can coach in the world's most famous arena. Maybe then we can get a decent PG that actually runs the offense!!

Queenie wrote:
I don't think Dawn would leave her job at Temple short of either a Philly team or, in many years' time, the Charlotte job opening up. She's made a commitment, and I doubt she'd leave it any time soon.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 12/29/04 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With how this thread is going, eventually someone is going to propose that Philly has an expansion team, that Staley is assigned to as a player-coach while still coaching at Temple, but being upgraded to Athletic Director. In addition she will leap-frog Anne Donovan into the Head Coaching position for Olympics 08 after coming out of Olympic playing retirement to start at PG for 1 more Gold Medal.

If anyone can do it, Dawn can! Wink

This thread should have "Wind Beneath my Wings" playing nonstop for readers! Laughing

PostPosted: 12/29/04 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think my dream of Dawn coaching the Fever is going to come true.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: