RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Scoring System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 4:34 pm    ::: Scoring System Reply Reply with quote

If no person gets two bonuses, it should end up rewarding far enough down the list to not make it too big a deal, but there isn't much incentive for people who miss the boat at the beginning of the round to want to join in if only the top person from each group gets rewarded.

A suggestion for next year is to have the top person get .1 and second place get .05

There would be some issues to work out about whether someone should be able to get both a first and a second or just the top one that they are eligible for, but it might encourage late starters (of course with the two rounds it shouldn't matter much... if anyone missed the boat the first time around they can join now and have just as much chance of bonus points as anyone else )...

Which reminds me, since the rules are finalized and posted maybe there should be a post on the ESPN and rebkell boards to say..."Hey come join in before you miss it again!!"

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 4:39 pm    ::: Re: Scoring System Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
If no person gets two bonuses, it should end up rewarding far enough down the list to not make it too big a deal, but there isn't much incentive for people who miss the boat at the beginning of the round to want to join in if only the top person from each group gets rewarded.

A suggestion for next year is to have the top person get .1 and second place get .05

There would be some issues to work out about whether someone should be able to get both a first and a second or just the top one that they are eligible for, but it might encourage late starters (of course with the two rounds it shouldn't matter much... if anyone missed the boat the first time around they can join now and have just as much chance of bonus points as anyone else )...

Which reminds me, since the rules are finalized and posted maybe there should be a post on the ESPN and rebkell boards to say..."Hey come join in before you miss it again!!"

Yes, we should try to recruit some more players, I think the current setup will not penalize anyone overly, for missing the 1st half, and if we have/had enough players, I would agree on awarding more points for 2nd, 3rd etc.. .. I was tempted to let players that qualified with 50 games in the 1st half, have the choice of using their 1st half or 2nd half average using the highest of the 2 as their Win value in the conference round.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 4:54 pm    ::: Re: Scoring System Reply Reply with quote

[quote="rebkell"]Yes, we should try to recruit some more players, I think the current setup will not penalize anyone overly, for missing the 1st half, and if we have/had enough players, I would agree on awarding more points for 2nd, 3rd etc.. .. I was tempted to let players that qualified with 50 games in the 1st half, have the choice of using their 1st half or 2nd half average using the highest of the 2 as their Win value in the conference round.[/quote]

Yeah that would be one way of rewarding those, but would lend itself to "cherrypicking" to trying to pick just over 50 games and just pick the easy ones... I think the current system is gonna be better than that would have been with the two rounds it should be good Smile I just have to try and move up into the money, er, uh, points.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 5:12 pm    ::: Re: Scoring System Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
rebkell wrote:
Yes, we should try to recruit some more players, I think the current setup will not penalize anyone overly, for missing the 1st half, and if we have/had enough players, I would agree on awarding more points for 2nd, 3rd etc.. .. I was tempted to let players that qualified with 50 games in the 1st half, have the choice of using their 1st half or 2nd half average using the highest of the 2 as their Win value in the conference round.

Yeah that would be one way of rewarding those, but would lend itself to "cherrypicking" to trying to pick just over 50 games and just pick the easy ones... I think the current system is gonna be better than that would have been with the two rounds it should be good Smile I just have to try and move up into the money, er, uh, points.

Yeah, I knew I was gonna be waffling a bit with the game, for the maiden voyage anyway, I had to see it in action, I knew it would become evident to me after watching it played, but it wasn't easy to spot without actual results ... etc...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I gotta admit it Reb (shrugs); I still dont' think I get it...

I'm not even sure who I'm supposed to pick, and you know I love these crazy fantasy games!

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/28/04 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I gotta admit it Reb (shrugs); I still dont' think I get it...

I'm not even sure who I'm supposed to pick, and you know I love these crazy fantasy games!

Well, there really isn't that much to understanding, it is fairly easy to play, but trying to explain it, is seriously harder than just playing the game, it becomes fairly evident how it works, when you start playing. I had a lot of people that had no clue, but after about 2 or 3 days and seeing how their scores were tallied, understood it completely.

Most of the confusion comes about when I try to explain how to pick the games, and how many games are needed for this or that, the game is fairly straight forward, and sounds more complicated than it really is.

bottom line, pick the straight up winner and get 4 points, there is another section or optional choice in each game, the predicted point spread for the game according to RPI.(game in this instance is referring to the actual game being played on the court, aka Tenn@UConn, etc...) You can either give or take those points, you can risk 0, 1 or 2 points on the spread part, if you beat the spread you get how much you risked on it, if you lose against the spread, you get the risked points deducted from your score.

I don't know, it's difficult to explain, but if you were to start playing this week, it wouldn't hurt you at all, you would basically be finishing out the 1st round of the challenge, and you could see how it works and there would be no real penalty or benefit in playing this week, other than the experience and seeing how the numbers add up and such.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do you pick both without and with the spread, or one or the other?

You do so much for us, I'll be glad to give the game a try.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/28/04 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
do you pick both without and with the spread, or one or the other?

You do so much for us, I'll be glad to give the game a try.

Yes, I think is the answer to your question, the selection form has a top and bottom part for each game, the top part, is where you select the team you think will win the game straight up.

The bottom part is the pointspread portion, in this part you select a value to risk on the game, and then select one team + points or - points, if you pick a team +points you get to add that many points to their final score and if it ends up being more than the other team, then you win the RPI points for that game, if not you lose the RPI point(s) for that game. The same thing on - points, only difference is you have to subtract that many points from the teams final score and then if they still have more points than the other team, you win the RPI part, if not you lose.

You are not required to select the pointspread part if you don't want to, it can cost you points so it is a gamble, good if you win, but not good if you don't Wink

Sorry, I didn't see this post until I'd answered the other one.

You don't have to play, I won't take offense, but if you aren't playing because you don't understand, then I want to make every effort to try to explain it to you.

Reb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: