RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GM 101....PART 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/07 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
What you are saying pilight, is that you would risk a former #12, who is the 11th player, who the coaches like, to bring in #36 to camp.

I would, but I can understand why someone might not. The quality of the injured player is irrelevant, since they're going to be hurt to the point that they can't play anyway. It's a low risk proposition. Absent a preexisting condition the chances of an injury that serious occurring are pretty slim.

PostPosted: 03/15/07 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
What you are saying pilight, is that you would risk a former #12, who is the 11th player, who the coaches like, to bring in #36 to camp.

Draft the rights to an international player who you know has zero intention of coming over this summer and who may develop into a player.

loveofthegame

PostPosted: 03/15/07 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What will be intresting is who SFO will protect from his roster during expansion in 08...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/15/07 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

loveofthegame wrote:
What will be intresting is who SFO will protect from his roster during expansion in 08...

Shocked

eclair

PostPosted: 03/15/07 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
Sheri Stiff is the odd player out...

Shocked

Rothum

PostPosted: 03/16/07 11:50 am    ::: Re: GM 101....PART 1 Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
Series of debates to ponder.....
PART 1....You are the GM of the WNBA Colorado Mogulettes. You love your team, (except the name), as you just lost in the WNBA Finals the prior year. A good mix of vets, youngsters, All-Stars and potentials. Unfortunately, to keep the team together, you have to max out the salary cap and can only have the minimum 11 players this coming year. There are 12 players currently under contract, of which 11 have been identified by staff to be the ones. In addition, you have draft picks #s 10, 17, 36.
Last year, you watched Boston's 3rd rounder, Sally Scrubbucket, blow out her knee in a preseason game and they were stuck with her, having to cut a good prospect.
In addition, 3 maybe 4 of your vets are going deep into European finals, and will be 7-10 days late for camp.
Q...Who and how many do you invite to camp?

Sometimes life happens. There are no guarentee's. You roll the dice with what you have and want. Sign a few players to training camp contracts that you want to look at as possibles to sign IF someone does not show or goes down with injury later in the season.

I say go with the 11 you want and have. Let the players, who are still playing in Europe, know that you have expectations of them. If they do not fulfill these expectations, there will be consequences (I see your SAT word and raise you).

Trade the draft picks to teams who you think are going to preform below expectations or who have a history of not meeting expectations, for future draft picks in years that you think you are going to want to use your draft picks. Let some other team develop the talent and then trade for the good ones several years down the road.

Do not forget to have a conversation with yourself about watching the salary cap in the future when signing the bench players.

Much to the ire (I reraise your SAT word) of my fellow fans here in CT, I have long said the Mike T is best at finding the talent but Bill L is best at stealing it. In a really preverse way I lean towards the stealing of talent. Let someone else deal with the ajustment issues, and the personal growth issues. Find the players who are dedicated to the sport and not the idea of being a player. Let someone else teach them the basics of playing at the professional level while you teach them the focus it takes to win.

And before my fellow Sun fans flay (care to continue to match vocabularies me?) with their STH party gift of an ice cream scoop from 2004, I have to remind people that my beloved Sun hasn't won the big one yet while Darth Bill has twice. Evil or Very Mad

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: