RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bad news from CNN...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/10/05 11:57 pm    ::: Bad news from CNN... Reply Reply with quote

"One of three young suspects detained in Aruba confesses to killing Alabama teenager, senior police official says."

as sad as this is, and it IS sad, when will the press start covering the genocide in Darfur?? how about showing us the coffins from Iraq? aw, crap, i don't want to get started.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/05 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who wants to cover that when Michael Jackson is on trial? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/11/05 12:00 am    ::: Re: Bad news from CNN... Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
"One of three young suspects detained in Aruba confesses to killing Alabama teenager, senior police official says."

as sad as this is, and it IS sad, when will the press start covering the genocide in Darfur?? how about showing us the coffins from Iraq? aw, crap, i don't want to get started.

just reading this on the NYTimes website. did you see this piece in the washington post? sounds like you'd like it. it's called White Women We Love. basically same sentiment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/09/AR2005060901729.html

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 06/11/05 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/11/05 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stories like this make me sick. It is very sad what happened to her, but if she wasn't a pretty white girl, this wouldn't make a ripple in the news. Yet the journalists talk about one missing girl 24/7 and not only ignore all of the real news, but ignore men, people of color and unattractive people who go missing everyday.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/11/05 12:02 am    ::: Re: Bad news from CNN... Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

just reading this on the NYTimes website. did you see this piece in the washington post? sounds like you'd like it. it's called White Women We Love

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/09/AR2005060901729.html

[/quote]

I had NOT seen that piece - I'm checking it out now - but YES - you (and the post) are right on point. *sigh*

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/11/05 12:05 am    ::: Re: Bad news from CNN... Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

just reading this on the NYTimes website. did you see this piece in the washington post? sounds like you'd like it. it's called White Women We Love

I had NOT seen that piece - I'm checking it out now - but YES - you (and the post) are right on point. *sigh*[/quote]

I swear I hadn't read the NYT piece when I made my reply ...

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/11/05 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stories like this make me sick. It is very sad what happened to her, but if she wasn't a pretty white girl, this wouldn't make a ripple in the news. Yet the journalists talk about one missing girl 24/7 and not only ignore all of the real news, but ignore men, people of color and unattractive people who go missing everyday.

Yup. And thankfully that story in the Wash post points that out. It makes me CRAZY. It's like when there's a violent crime in NYC and the victim is white v. when the victim is not. good-looking or not, rich or poor, it all breaks down to skin color in a really disturbing and depressing way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: