RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2004 In Review: The Music!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:10 pm    ::: 2004 In Review: The Music! Reply Reply with quote

Okay members, it's year in review evaluation time. I always like those rankings that tend to come out with the most politically correct or bizarre songs or albums at the top of the lists. So, in your opinion, what was:

Best Entire Album?

Best Song - Overall?

Best Rock Song?

Best Rap or R&B Song?

Best Country (if anyone does country here) Song?

Worst Song?

Best Artist of the year?

Worst Artist of the Year?

Best New Find?

In My Opinion:

Best Entire Album? Ray Charles & Friends: Genius Loves Company

Best Song - Overall? Green Day - American Idiot

Best Rock Song? American Idiot

Best Rap or R&B Song? Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You

Best Country (if anyone does country here) Song? None

Worst Song? Snoop Dog - Drop It Like It's Hot (Maybe worst ever!)

Best Artist of the year? Gotta go with Usher; the dude was everywhere!

Worst Artist of the year? Gotta go with Britney; I used to love My Prerogative!

Best New Find? Killers - 80s Billy Idol & Gen X move to 2004!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:22 pm    ::: Re: 2004 In Review: The Music! Reply Reply with quote

OK, I have a country song for ya.

"Me and Charlie Talkin'" by Miranda Lambert

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

That's how your message appears. So is the country song "Me and Charlie Talkin'" or is it "I'm gonna Kill that $#@% $!+(# !"

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Quote:

That's how your message appears. So is the country song Me and Charlie Talkin' or is it "I'm gonna Kill that $#@% $!+(# !"
[/quote]

LMAO!!
No, I don't think DeMya has gone to the recording studio with that one yet!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought you'd like that. BTW, no word from Penny T. Must be busy baking Christmas cookies for LL.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Thought you'd like that. BTW, no word from Penny T. Must be busy baking Christmas cookies for LL.

I was just going to ask you about that. It's really hit and miss w/ those people (sparks).
By the way I sponsored your kid for the junior alumni club for Purdue Women's Basketball (or something like that) They'll contact you.
They had this adorable beanie basketball player and that was only way I could go home with one. They said, "Sponsor some kid for this club and you can have it" lol!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/23/04 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No problem, I use her to get free stuff all the time, why shouldn't somebody else? LOL!

Final practice before break today, I figure we'll work on the Michigan State Matchup Zone Defense tonight, followed by learning how to set a pick!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/23/04 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
No problem, I use her to get free stuff all the time, why shouldn't somebody else? LOL!

Final practice before break today, I figure we'll work on the Michigan State Matchup Zone Defense tonight, followed by learning how to set a pick!

lol! Now the beanie thing is mine, but they do something for birthdays and give tix to games and stuff. The guy told me kids like the club so what the heck! If you can get out to Indy when Purdue holds the game at Conseco it's really a blast!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 12/23/04 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding best country music of the year, how about Gretchen Wilson?

I have to admit to being one of those Red Neck Women she sings about...but seariously, some solid country on that CD.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/23/04 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gretchin's aaiihgt.
I'm gettin' really tired of Toby Keith.
Brad Paisley's get some good new stuff. Wasn't "Mud on the Tires" his?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 12/23/04 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mud on the Tires is his latest and the duet with Alison Krause this year was exceptional...she is the bomb, even of you don't like country music, you have to appreciate her talent.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/23/04 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Mud on the Tires is his latest and the duet with Alison Krause this year was exceptional...she is the bomb, even of you don't like country music, you have to appreciate her talent.

Yeah, Alison's amazing! I forgot that was Brad with her on "Whisky Lullaby" (Brad's guitar in "Mud..." is off the hook too.)
I want to hear D'Angelo and Lauren Hill do a remake of Alison's, "When You Say Nothing At All"

pilight

PostPosted: 12/23/04 9:50 pm    ::: Re: 2004 In Review: The Music! Reply Reply with quote

Best Entire Album?

Tough choice, there were alot of great records this year. I think Almost Killed Me by The Hold Steady gets my vote.

Best Song - Overall?

I'm not usually a Sonc Youth fan, but "Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream" has to be #1. Note that later copies of the CD have the alternate version "Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream", which isn't as good.

Best Rock Song?

"Counting Down the Hours" by Ted Leo & The Pharmacists

Best Rap or R&B Song?

The Beastie Boys' "Triple Trouble".

There were two great country albums in 2004; Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose (produced by Jack White of the White Stripes!) and Allison Moorer's The Duel. I'd probably take Lynn's "Portland, Oregon" over Moorer's "All Aboard", if only to because the latter's political bent will likely make it date quickly.

Worst Song?

"Cater 2 U" by Destiny's Child. It's hard to believe these are the same girls that sang "Independent Women"...

Best Artist of the year?

Gotta go with Loretta Lynn, who reinvented herself in a way Madonna could only dream of.

Worst Artist of the Year?

Avril Lavigne.

Best New Find?

The Arcade Fire

PostPosted: 12/23/04 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

There were two great country albums in 2004; Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose (produced by Jack White of the White Stripes!) and Allison Moorer's The Duel. I'd probably take Lynn's "Portland, Oregon" over Moorer's "All Aboard", if only to because the latter's political bent will likely make it date quickly.

If you're going to count Portland, Oregon as country, then by far that is the best country song of the year. Almost got my vote for best overall song of the year. There's something about the truthfulness behind American Idiot that gives it my vote though.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/23/04 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
If you're going to count Portland, Oregon as country, then by far that is the best country song of the year. Almost got my vote for best overall song of the year. There's something about the truthfulness behind American Idiot that gives it my vote though.

What else can you call it? It's more country than most of the pop-schlock coming from Nashville these days.

In a way, Van Lear Rose is maddening. It makes you wonder how much greater Loretta Lynn might have been if she'd been treated like an artist instead of a product for all those years. Part of it is her own fault, to be sure, for letting her husband be her manager and signing those contracts that forced her to do crap like all those duets with Conway Twitty. She hasn't really made much of an effort to do a good record since Blue Eyed Kentucky Girl almost 30 years ago.

It's strange that two of the year's best records were made by 70 year olds, Leonard Cohen's Dear Heather would go near the top of my list also.

PostPosted: 12/24/04 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, so why do you listed to so much music that angry adolescents listen to Shocked ?

If it weren't for my 16 year old nephew I wouldn't know half the bands you listed! I FEEL OLD!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/25/04 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a garage rock girl, so I absolutely agree with Pilight re the Sonic Youth song. Still on the garage scene, Ambulance Ltd. is the best new artist. They're cool, charming, and the whole album rocks, literally.
I also liked the new Aussies, Jet.

PostPosted: 12/25/04 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Pilight, so why do you listed to so much music that angry adolescents listen to Shocked ?

If it weren't for my 16 year old nephew I wouldn't know half the bands you listed! I FEEL OLD!

I try to stay away from stuff that's too angsty or angry. I couldn't get in to Talib Kweli or Jean Grae, for example.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: