RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TV Commentators...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/06/07 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was watching a regional game-- I forget who, although I seem to have a recollection that U. Washington was one of the teams-- and the announcers were actually calling the game. They were talking about the offense the teams were actually running at the moment, they were talking about the defense, and how the offense and defense were taking advantage of what they were getting. They were calling the substitutions as they happened. It was just like watching a men's game. Those are the announcers I'd like all the time.

Barring that, I'd like to listen to a game called by Doris Burke with Van Chancellor, Nancy Lieberman and Sue Bird as the color people. That would be entertaining.

PostPosted: 02/06/07 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Captain Marvel wrote:
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Pam Ward

Probably because she makes political monotones sound like Richard Simmons.

needbb

PostPosted: 02/06/07 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clone Doris. Banish Mark to NBA games only.

He only does his "junk in the trunk, enough to feed the needy, baked glazed and sliced, like the kids say 'this jumper is wet'" schtick for women's games. It is intolerable.

And did you hear in a recent game he worked with Doris he called her by the wrong name? I think he called her "Linda."

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/06/07 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Captain Marvel wrote:
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Pam Ward

Probably because she makes political monotones sound like Richard Simmons.

LMAO! Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
Kelli

PostPosted: 02/06/07 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Captain Marvel wrote:
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Pam Ward and how uniformly excellent she is. I missed her at the Final Four last year and I hope ESPN brings her back this year, at least to do sideline reporting, though she should replace Mike Patrick.

I always liked Pam doing football on ESPN2. If it was a game that I really didn't care about who was playing, I'd watch the game that she was doing.

I get so ANNOYED with Beth Mowins doing that "mmmmm' thing. She may as well not be there if she doesn't have anything to say.

And don't get me started on Mark Jones. Worthless.

I know that this is going to get a lot of comments, but I like Nancy. She doesn't annoy me the way that just about everone else does.

There is a woman that does local high school games on the radio - been doing them for 30 years now - that's very good.

Last edited by Kelli on 02/07/07 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total
jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/07/07 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Doris, Van, and Sue idea...even with Nancy, but banish her to sideline reporter since she always likes to show off what new hideous shade of tanned-orange she wants to be each game.

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 02/07/07 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Mike Patrick never does another women's basketball game again. I mean, jeez, how hard is it to get a player's name or even the name of the school right. He's a little less annoying when he does football, but only slightly less.

Dave Pasch is a pretty good as a play-by-play guy. Beth Mowins is decent as well. I don't mind Pam Ward's monotone so much because at least she's not annoying and obnoxious. For color, give me Doris Burke, Kara Lawson, or Rebecca Lobo.

O.G.

PostPosted: 02/07/07 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things Doris must be banned from saying ever again

1. "She can really stick it!"

pilight wrote:

Lidsville? Shocked

LOL - I loved that show. It was such a trip when I was a kid.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/07/07 1:02 am    ::: Pam Ward's pretty good Reply Reply with quote

I thought Pam Ward was pretty good last year. If she's paired with the right analyst, she doesn't have to go crazy with the inflection. She did well for herself on football this fall. At least she does her homework.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/07/07 4:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
I get so ANNOYED with Beth Mowins doing that "mmmmm' thing. She may as well not be there if she doesn't have anything to say.

Unless Beth does that as well, Doris Burke is the one with the "mmmmm" thing.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 02/25/07 2:30 am    ::: this is the THREAD Reply Reply with quote

in the SI article

BTW a local MALE announcer for OK. called Courtney Paris everything but BIG FAT PIG.

Everytime he mentioned her he had to say something about her size. It was horrible. His partner didn't say a word BUT Im sure she was T'ed off too.
I'll look up his name again and post it but I see why he's a nobody.

24duzitall

PostPosted: 02/25/07 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i wish jay bilas would call games but i don't think he does that anymore. mowins and antonelli are ok. better than jones for sure. i would like to hear lawson and burke do some games. can't stand vc. i spend too much time dissecting his accent and thinking about mr. magoo.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/25/07 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no team is w/o their faults, imHo, but i'd say my overall national "favorite" is mowins/antonelli.

it's taken me years to get used to all the shouting from them, they are unbearable ACC homers, and antonelli's ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! is a worn ripoff of robin roberts, but they do an excellent job of describing and analyzing what you see, which is a concept lost on many WCB tv productions.

i find the FSN teams much better overall than the teams given us to do the "marquee matchups" on ESPN or CBS.

there is a PBP guy who does PAC-10 and/or BIG 12 games that i like.

now that i no longer need to use a drawl de-scrambler, i enjoy chancellor.

folks who i wish had other jobs: ward, lieberman, jones, johnson, plotzke, schatz, cohen, lobo.

i think lawson is the best in-studio and thought she was good doing games.

hard to believe we actually had jay bilas!

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/25/07 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just wanted to say i had no idea of the SI article and posted my thoughts before reading it.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/25/07 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Mike Patrick. I think he is making fewer mistakes with wcbb than he did five years ago-- I think he's both learning about the game and developing an appreciation for it.

One thing I especially like about Mike is his combination of sincerity and enthusiasm. When he says "great to have you with us," I know it's his signature line, but you get the feeling he actually means it. And there is something exhilarating about the way he can get excited about ordinary, but well-timed or well-executed play.

Another thing I like about him is how he relates to his fellow announcers. When he announces with Ann or Doris, and they are on camera, he is making eye contact with them and actually listening to what they say. He's also conversing with them, and not just waiting for them to stop talking. I like this because I think it signals some professional respect, but, in another way, signals some respect for "our" game.

Bottom line, Mike Patrick seems like the kind of guy you would like to go to a game with, and just sit next to and watch the game and talk about it. I think that kind of quality goes a long way to making a good announcer.

PostPosted: 02/25/07 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i forgot to add to my list of those i wish had other employment- the guy for cstv...apparently he grew up thinking chris (boomer) berman was the announcer to emulate.

sorry kid...berman is a great studio host but a shitty game announcer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: