RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TV Commentators...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:05 pm    ::: TV Commentators... Reply Reply with quote

Is there a clear-cut, "A" team for women's basketball games? It would be easy to say the Final Four duo, but they really don't work together during the season. That being said, I think Mike Patrick is one of the all-time greats, with a great voice. I know he's making a few more mistakes these days, but I still love his work. I grew up on him doing ACC games on local TV.

Doris Burke is good at analysis and keeps the audience in the game. She makes a lot of valid points. I have noticed that she LOVES Geno. I also thought that Doris would have the guts to call Latta out on some of her antics- body-slamming Marissa Coleman at the Final Four, cheap-shotting the Tenn. player this year and general unsportsmanlike behavoir, but it hasn't happened yet. That's a tough thing to do.

Her partner Mark Jones would be o.k. if he could just reel in some of his hippity-hoppiness. I don't need to watch a game to hear about rapper Ludacris. And because he spends so much time around the NBA, I think Jones thinks its cool when women players emulate some of the same stuff. Which, I think is terrible for the game. We really don't need to over-emphasize individual showmanship and dunking. It is not what the women's game is about and not why many people tune in. It is another topic, but I actually think the over-emphasizing of the dunk at the expense of other highlights is one of the worst things that has happened. It is total mis-marketing and takes us down a road we don't want to wander. To suggest that viewers should tune in to see women's basketball because there is now dunking is a total lie and will only mislead potential fans. And..for the record...that dunk contest that Candace won was a huge fraud. A total scam. That being said, she's a phenomenal player.

Anyway...back to the original topic...I'm sure there are some good announce teams out there that are flying under the radar. Anyone I should find on the dish?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"hippity-hoppiness"...I love that. He said something the last game I heard him call, with Doris, and I almost shoved my foot thought the Sony 27" flat screen, hoping it would hit him in the head!!! What a dork!

I got used to "dropin' dimes like a bank teller"...and I unfortunately can't remember what he said this last time...I am getting used to not listening as they go into commercial breaks, knowing he is going to drop some of his famous "hippity-hoppiness"...

Priceless.

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Rebounding is like deoderant, it covers up a lot of stink"

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More Mark Jones:

- "Iciss Tillis...doing her best milkshake."
- "Vicki Krapohl...she'd teach you, but she'd have to charge."
- "Alana Beard...she's got candy for everybody!"

The one comment I like from Mark Jones..
- "Splashdown, straight butter!"

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
More Mark Jones:

Is Mark Jones the one that refered to Pat having junk in the trunk, or was that someone else?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
More Mark Jones:

Is Mark Jones the one that refered to Pat having junk in the trunk, or was that someone else?

Yeah, it was Mark. I almost barfed. Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/07 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Heather Cox, but she seems to have been permanently banished to sideline work. Mad

PostPosted: 02/06/07 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
More Mark Jones:

Oh dear...

I loved whomever the commentators were for the Uconn/syracuse Men's game the other night. They were hilarious. They were slightly picking on the players, but in a harmless funny way...and they were knowledgable about basketball..

My favorite commentators are Megan and Bob...it seems as if everytime I get a little annoyed with those two, Uconn ends up playing on a different channel, and then I appreciate them again...

I'd also like to see Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo do a game together..

PostPosted: 02/06/07 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ALso Mark Jones:

If you don't take care of the onion it will make you cry

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/06/07 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe last night he said the following after Sidney Spencer finally hit a 3.

"Sidville...population zero"

He said it refers to where Spencer goes when she can't hit her shots, maybe a UT fan can elaborate.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/07 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
"Sidville...population zero"

Lidsville? Shocked

PostPosted: 02/06/07 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ron Franklin, he doesn't do women's games, but I'd love to see him do the PBP some day. I also have an affinity for Debbie Antonelli's voice even though some on here don't like her over use of "are you kidding me?!!" She's been doing a lot of OU's games with Bob Carpenter, a Tulsa/St. Louis native, and has recently spent a lot of time the past few years doing B12 Tournaments. She's fair, well spoken and comes across genuine to me.

I think Bob Carpenter, who used to do a lot of men's ESPN games out west, would be someone under the radar. He does his homework and gives you extra knowledge about players such as their high school playing days.

Doris also has that voice that just says WCB to me. I don't really care for Lobo.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/06/07 3:46 pm    ::: Now that you mention... Reply Reply with quote

I think Antonelli is a promoter of the game and has a lot of knowledge. She certainly loves the "Are you kidding me?!?!?" line and tends to shout at us. Despite that, I think she's o.k. However, whatever game she does turns into a Coach G lovefest. I watch a lot of ACC games and no matter who is playing, if Antonelli and her partner Mowins are doing the game, there is the mandatory Coach G promo. They'll roll in Coach G soundbites during games that don't involve Duke. They'll tell Coach G stories during games that don't involve Duke. They'll tell us what Coach G cooked for dinner. When VA Tech was giving Duke a game the other day, they never mentioned anything about what a fine job VT and their staff must've done. It was all about Coach G. I'm just waiting for them to serve up Coach G movie reviews, Coach G on the war in Iraq and Coach G projects the candidates in the 2008 Presidential election.

I say all that and I think they do a decent job with games. And I think Coach G is fine as well. However, the lovefest gets to be too much.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/06/07 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should add that I think Mowins is good at play by play. She knows her stuff and has a nice style.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/06/07 3:48 pm    ::: Re: Now that you mention... Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
I say all that and I think they do a decent job with games. And I think Coach G is fine as well. However, the lovefest gets to be too much.

It was hard for them to plug Coach G when they were plugging Brenda Frese's book, showing pictures and reading exceprts.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/06/07 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't hate her because she's beautiful

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/06/07 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
Don't hate her because she's beautiful

I would comment, but I am too busy cleaning up my computer after viewing the stupidity of your response.

Now, let me go refill my cup of Haterade. Ooh, maybe I will put this on my My Space page. Of course, I will have to wait until study hall is over. Holla!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/06/07 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ron Franklin was a sports anchor for the CBS affiliate here in Houston for many, many years. I always enjoy him calling a game. He is an excellent announcer, and generally cooperates well with whomever he is working. I have heard him call women's bball...and my man is not as strong as I would have hoped. But, he certainly stays so busy the rest of the time on the men's side, it is understandable he won't know the players as well as the men's teams he usually calls.

Here's another of my faves, with H-town ties...Jim Kozemor!!! Luv him!

PostPosted: 02/06/07 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Jimmy Dykes (spelling?) - he seems to know his stuff when calling a women's game and is enthusiastic. I haven't heard him call many women's games though - think I've seen him do some NCAA Tourney games in recent years.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/06/07 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mark Jones says every game at the end, "This game is just about cooked, glazed, and sliced."

Megan on UConn laughs way too much. At least 50 times a game. We count. And the laugh is obnoxious. Other than that, she is not bad.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/06/07 7:20 pm    ::: Re: Now that you mention... Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
It was hard for them to plug Coach G when they were plugging Brenda Frese's book, showing pictures and reading exceprts.

Exactly. Those two idiots kiss more Brenda [Frese], Sylvia [Hatchell], and Kay [Yow] ass than everyone else's (to include Pat Summitt, Gail Goestenkors, Geno Auriemma, etc.) combined! Even during the Maryland/Duke game, both frequently broke their codes of neutrality to say glowing things about Maryland and Frese while the Terps were getting their doors blown off.

Mathies to LA 2013
jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/06/07 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Carpenter would be great. He's an excellent baseball announcer...he even created his own scorebook for baseball that's really nice. I would love for him to do WNBA games, but that's not gonna happen because of his baseball work, so the more college games he gets the better if he does.

Mark Jones is a lousy excuse for a sports announcer. He does well when he is serious about what he's doing. One or two of his little catch phrases every once in a while would be okay, but he drops them constantly on his women's games. It's highly annoying, and I'd rather him stay with the NBA where he's actually pretty good.

Linda Cohn wasn't too bad last year, but she had Sportscenter syndrome. Instead of calling the play as it happened, she let it happen and then called it. Other than that, though, she was good.

If it was me, and I could pick whoever I wanted, I'd have Bob Carpenter and Van Chancellor as the #1 team for college and pro. Then Linda and Doris for #2. Won't happen, so I'll take Linda and Doris at #1 for now, and Dave Pasch and Van Chancellor as the #2. Dave did some WNBA games last year, I think, and he does those just like he does the men's games...something Mark Jones could stand to learn, that's for sure.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/06/07 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Ron Franklin was a sports anchor for the CBS affiliate here in Houston for many, many years. I always enjoy him calling a game. He is an excellent announcer, and generally cooperates well with whomever he is working. I have heard him call women's bball...and my man is not as strong as I would have hoped. But, he certainly stays so busy the rest of the time on the men's side, it is understandable he won't know the players as well as the men's teams he usually calls.

Here's another of my faves, with H-town ties...Jim Kozemor!!! Luv him!

Ron Franklin is awesome. It's a travesty against college football that Mike Patrick gets ESPN primetime and Franklin got sent back to ESPN2.

Mike Patrick is decent if he's not describing something normal like it's the first time he's ever seen someone shoot a basketball or throw a football before. That happens at least ten times a game and is very annoying. A five yard touchdown is not a good excuse to holler "Holy cow!" And besides, that's not his line anyway. Get something original.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/06/07 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the Pac 10 duo. They are awesome.

PostPosted: 02/06/07 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Pam Ward and how uniformly excellent she is. I missed her at the Final Four last year and I hope ESPN brings her back this year, at least to do sideline reporting, though she should replace Mike Patrick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: