RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Supreme Court Rejects Women's Sports Case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 06/06/05 2:56 pm    ::: Supreme Court Rejects Women's Sports Case Reply Reply with quote

Over the past two decades, the number of wrestling teams at NCAA schools has dropped from 363 to 222, while football teams increased from 497 to 619, according to NCAA leaders. Title IX has been blamed for part of the decline.

In addition to men's wrestling team cuts, other schools have dropped outdoor track, swimming programs and ice hockey, the court was told.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050606/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_title_ix[/i]

PostPosted: 06/06/05 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the past two decades, the number of wrestling teams at NCAA schools has dropped from 363 to 222, while football teams increased from 497 to 619, according to NCAA leaders

Clearly the wrestling programs should sue the football teams Wink

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/06/05 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:
Over the past two decades, the number of wrestling teams at NCAA schools has dropped from 363 to 222, while football teams increased from 497 to 619, according to NCAA leaders

Clearly the wrestling programs should sue the football teams Wink

That's what gets me. People don't pay attention to the real problem, and that is that the accelerating arms race among football -- and the a lesser extent, men's basketball -- is what is bankrupting athletic programs and leading to the elimination of teams. Not Title IX.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/06/05 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the NFL can get by with 45 players on a team, why does a college team need 85? That is nearly 4 deep at each position...

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 06/06/05 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
If the NFL can get by with 45 players on a team, why does a college team need 85? That is nearly 4 deep at each position...

FANTASTIC point. I think the NFL is up to 52 now but they only dress 45 or 46 on gameday....obviously they get along just fine with such a small active roster.

Now, take that, and factor in the incredibly low graduation rate among NCAA Division 1 football programs.....and think about how much money is wasted by Univerities on a yearly basis. 20 of the 85 players (approximate average) will never even see the field of play during their 1st 2 years and then wind up being released from their scholorship. Those are 20 scholorships that could go to actual deserving students or money tht could be split among the "lesser" athletic programs.

I tend to think that too many scholorships are granted to Men's basketball as well. They really do not need more than 14 or 15 total in a program but they are allowed something like 18. I saw the University of Buffalo dress 15 guys this season during MAC play and during the conference tourney and they had at least 4 guys redshirting (one of the active players was non-scholorship). Is that many players necessary?

Cam- do you know how many players Coach K generally carries under scholorship? For some reason, it seems like he is one of the few exceptions. I rarely, if ever, read about players redshirting at Duke and they definately don't dress 18 players.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/06/05 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

A college team needs more than a pro team, since they can't just go sign someone at midseason if there's an injury or something. However, 85 is excessive.

PostPosted: 06/06/05 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:

Cam- do you know how many players Coach K generally carries under scholorship? For some reason, it seems like he is one of the few exceptions. I rarely, if ever, read about players redshirting at Duke and they definately don't dress 18 players.

Men's basketball...13 scholarships max. Coach K rarely has above 10 or 11 scholarship players. In fact, I can't offhand recall a year when he used the maximum number of scholarships.

pilight wrote:

A college team needs more than a pro team, since they can't just go sign someone at midseason if there's an injury or something. However, 85 is excessive.

Agreed, Pilight. But could this be accomplished with 70 players?

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 06/06/05 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:

Men's basketball...13 scholarships max. Coach K rarely has above 10 or 11 scholarship players. In fact, I can't offhand recall a year when he used the maximum number of scholarships.

pilight wrote:

Agreed, Pilight. But could this be accomplished with 70 players?

Damn...only 13? My bad. Someone at the MAC tourney said that Buffalo had 18 under scholorship. That is where I got that number from. Maybe I bought into that due to excessive alcohol consumption? Yeah, that's it. I'll blame my ignorance on booze. Laughing I do know for sure that the had 4 redshirts. Not a bad season for them considering they had a rotation of 11 players and at least 2 of them were walk-ons.

I had a feeling that K uses his scholorship allotment much more wisely and responsibly than mos D-1 Men's coaches.

As for football, I honestly think they could get by with 60-65 scholorships max. and fill the rest with walk-ons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: