RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sparks Fight Gallantly, But Are Overmatched!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/19/04 9:46 am    ::: Sparks Fight Gallantly, But Are Overmatched! Reply Reply with quote

The Farmington Sparks put on a gallant display in front of a packed house of about 50 parents and siblings, but fell to the height and experience of a very solid Mystics team, 30-20.

"The coaching was the problem," Sparks leading scorer Dani said after the game, "he insisted on only playing me the same as everyone else."
After sitting out the beginning of the second quarter for discipline reasons, Dani still scored 10 points.

The lack of experience showed for the poor Sparks though, as the Mystics, a team with only one first time player, and one of the best players in the league (Dani's best friend) were able to "outsmart" the five first time Sparks players, who ran into each other while setting picks, dribbled the ball out of bounds, and managed to box each other out more than the opponents.

When asked for comments, the Coach responded "Hey, it was picture day and the kids all looked good. That's what really matters!"

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/19/04 10:06 am    ::: Re: Sparks Fight Gallantly, But Are Overmatched! Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
were able to "outsmart" the five first time Sparks players, who ran into each other while setting picks, dribbled the ball out of bounds"

So, I see you did adapt a lot of the Summitt offense, it sounds like you at least got movement, it took Pat several weeks to get movement so they could run into each other, we still won't set picks, it's a sign of weakness.

It looks like you have the "screwed up player rotation" down pat, sit the hot shooter down when they are really on a roll.

It appears there is only one solution to the Sparks problem, yoiu're going to have to pick it up on the Defensive end.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/19/04 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I see you did adapt a lot of the Summitt offense, it sounds like you at least got movement, it took Pat several weeks to get movement so they could run into each other, we still won't set picks, it's a sign of weakness.

I tried. Pat and Harry are my heroes! LOL!

Quote:
It looks like you have the "screwed up player rotation" down pat, sit the hot shooter down when they are really on a roll.

You're right. Don't you hate those dumb rules where everyone has to play equally? C'mon they're 9 and 10, toughen up! Mad

Quote:
It appears there is only one solution to the Sparks problem, yoiu're going to have to pick it up on the Defensive end.

Or put them on the rack and have them grow several inches! Seriously, the kids played a good game, a very good second half.

I thought we were going to lose by over 20 this game, and then be ready when we play them again (ie I get some more experience into these newbies!) Two in particular showed a huge improvement from week one to week two.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 12/19/04 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you don't have game film, this is a great little tool for the kids
http://www.jes-soft.com/playbook/downplay.html

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Keegan

PostPosted: 12/19/04 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you play zone D?
inky

PostPosted: 12/20/04 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having spent many years mentoring kids' rec league and CYO teams, I'd wager they match up man to man before each group substitution, and are required to defend only their assigned player. (Is this so in your neighborhood, dts?) They're only 10 after all.

Have you ever seen 10 year-olds play? Their general urge is to bunch up around the ball, and offensively these kids don't have the ball handling skill to get out of the, well, "pentateam." If they attempted to play zone, nothing would ever get done.

Give me the choice and i'd rather see 10 year-old go at it than most NBA teams. Even most WNBA teams. It's great to see people who play for pride, or love of the game, or after-game snacks, or to be with their best friend, or to get a cool t-shirt. There is nothing in the world purer than when one of these little peanuts surprises him or herself by making a brilliant play. The joy is palpable.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/20/04 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We played zone when I was in an under 11/12 rec league. Could explain why we did so well! (top 4 in a very competitive league of 12-14 teams)
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/20/04 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inky, dead on. I'm impressed, you know your youth basketball.

Four 8 minutes quarters, auto subs at 4 minutes. When you sub, they line up at center court, and the coaches match up. At this point I have my kids match up more on size than talent, although that is a factor, except Dani usually ends up against their best player. One of the other coaches switches matchups, but it's too confusing for my new players.

Man only, no full court defense, pick up as the ball crosses half.

They're 9 for the most part, a couple of 10s. Dani played up to U10 AAU, that 's why it seems like she's 10 already.

Two of the new girls scored their first points in this game; inky's right. What smiles! It was great. One made two in a row, when they ran back on D I made everyone touch her since she was so hot we needed to share it!

inky

PostPosted: 12/21/04 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

But there's always one kid who gets so excited they forget this rule until the middle of the season, and they are so embarassed when they get the whistle instead of the layup.

As far as matchups, you'll be very happy-and so will your kids-if you match them more by skill than by height. It's frustrating for both kids if one is much better than the other. The good kid gets tired of defending a player who rarely gets touches, and the kid with the weaker skills gets tired of getting took to school.

When kids are more evenly matched they learn more and everybody has a better experience.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/21/04 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

But there's always one kid who gets so excited they forget this rule until the middle of the season, and they are so embarassed when they get the whistle instead of the layup.

As far as matchups, you'll be very happy-and so will your kids-if you match them more by skill than by height. It's frustrating for both kids if one is much better than the other. The good kid gets tired of defending a player who rarely gets touches, and the kid with the weaker skills gets tired of getting took to school.

When kids are more evenly matched they learn more and everybody has a better experience.

Right now skill and height run hand in hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: