RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Editors Decide Women's Sports Coverage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Indeed, no one should be obligated... And no one should feel a need to pay in order to criticize. Idea

You can also boycott a team but still support the sport. See Portland Trail Blazers...

The Trail Blazers are not fighting to stay alive...not fighting for the security of the league...not fighting homophobia and gender discrimination from mainstream America.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orender predicts 20 teams... Overblown. So is the anger towards Kelli. Idea

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Orender predicts 20 teams... Overblown

And Val tried 16...remember Miami, Portland, Utah, Orlando? Check the books, Admiral. The league is not exactly a major money maker. And there are MUCH shorter leases with WNBA teams than with NBA franchises.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Orender predicts 20 teams... Overblown. So is the anger towards Kelli. Idea

Says you on both counts. Thanks for chiming in though with your usual anti-Cam, anti-me sentiment. You can always be counted on to lurk around Admiral and pop up to throw a little dig here or poke there and then run away when called out.

So I assuming you are claiming the league is stable and doesn't need everyone to go to games? I know, it's because there's no WVGM right? You're just losing it?

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Certain people here have something personal against Kelli, and they continue to chime in accordingly... Big dig here, big dig there... then try to act like it's justified. But now that we know largely why these people hold a grudge (Kelli boycotting the Fever), it's hard to see how all this pissing on her can come close to being justifiable. Idea

Looks like we're heading to the river again... Confused Shame.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTS, Admiral cannot help it. I do like his Saint Admiral routine, even though he is doing what he accuses others of...

Sorry, Admiral...still the Patron Saint of Not That Innocent.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as the new teams are owned by billionaires, and not millionaires and minority investors, I don't expect any of them to fold. Idea I don't think Moscow Dynamo makes any money either...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As long as the new teams are owned by billionaires, and not millionaires and minority investors

Hmm...remember the Portland Fire?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Certain people here have something personal against Kelli, and they continue to chime in accordingly... Big dig here, big dig there... then try to act like it's justified. But now that we know largely why these people hold a grudge (Kelli boycotting the Fever), it's hard to see how all this pissing on her can come close to being justifiable. Idea

Looks like we're heading to the river again... Confused Shame.

I was not even on the board when that started with Kelli; I had no knowledge of it. I disagreed with her constant harping on her "fight" with BCB about an older post placement. But when I found out she is a WNBA fan, lived close to an arena, and refused to buy tickets, well to me that's just wrong. Then she started bashing people who are good ticket buyers, and that I also disagree with. No little digs by Cam, Matty, Slovy or me. We all stated outright our distaste for what Kelli was doing by not showing up at games, regardless of the reasoning.

Admiral, you go to games, and you know it's necessary to support your team by plunking yourself in an arena seat and being there. That's how you get newspapers to notice you.

I repeat, we had almost no coverage for two years of the Sun; then we do well attendance wise and make a playoff run, and now I get a WNBA article in the Hartford Courant everyday there's been a game played; sometimes big, sometimes small. I had a piece on Phoenix-Seattle today, plus another on Taj's injury.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
As long as the new teams are owned by billionaires, and not millionaires and minority investors

Hmm...remember the Portland Fire?

More complicated than that. You know where my insiders come from, right? Idea I'll just leave it at that. I'm fine with Paul Allen.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You know where my insiders come from, right

Nope. Have no knowledge of you w/r/t any insiders.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

w/r/t Question

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/03/05 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Legal abbreviations getting in the way...

w/r/t - with respect to

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/03/05 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Legal abbreviations getting in the way...

w/r/t - with respect to

Good god, man...don't whip out any of that Latin stuff on him...he might like it.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, well let's just say that I know the larger story about Paul Allen's decision and leave it at that. Idea I see no point in airing it out.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/03/05 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mods, is there any way to prevent Admiral and Cam from posting in the same thread? That might be the only way to keep everything and its mother from turning into an off-topic pissing match.

Kelli, speaking as one boycotter to another, I applaud your honesty and the way you hold to your beliefs (though I question cutting out on a franchise as unstable as the Fever). But you might want to tone down your on-board rhetoric just a tad. To be frank, it makes you sound nuts.

Meanwhile, I thought there were some scary points in the article. I'd be curious to find which editors were most negative towards women's sports and see if their locations gave us a clue as to why some cities have worse coverage than others, or if the presence of a professional team forces people with power to recognize the existence of female athletes in general, if not the specific ones kicking ass in their cities.

PostPosted: 06/03/05 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Mods, is there any way to prevent Admiral and Cam from posting in the same thread? That might be the only way to keep everything and its mother from turning into an off-topic pissing match.

Kelli, speaking as one boycotter to another, I applaud your honesty and the way you hold to your beliefs (though I question cutting out on a franchise as unstable as the Fever). But you might want to tone down your on-board rhetoric just a tad. To be frank, it makes you sound nuts.

Queenie where I see the differnece is you are coming up to the reservation to see games. You buy cards, products, etc. I get the impression that is different than Kelli; although I admit I could be mistaken. You are making a stand against Blaze, but still going to the next closest arena. That's a big difference IMO.

Kelli

PostPosted: 06/04/05 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I was not even on the board when that started with Kelli; I had no knowledge of it. I disagreed with her constant harping on her "fight" with BCB about an older post placement. But when I found out she is a WNBA fan, lived close to an arena, and refused to buy tickets, well to me that's just wrong. Then she started bashing people who are good ticket buyers, and that I also disagree with. No little digs by Cam, Matty, Slovy or me. We all stated outright our distaste for what Kelli was doing by not showing up at games, regardless of the reasoning.

Apparently your definition of 'living close' is a lot different than mine is.

Who did I bash that didn't take a shot at me first?

Can I ask how old you are? I'll understand if you don't want to reveal your age. (Well, actually I won't. But it's a decision that's up to you. Kind of like my decision to not purchase Fever tickets.)

What I'm thinking here is that I've been supporting women's sports for 35 years. (Are you even 35 YO?) Don't you think that maybe I'm getting a little tired and my priorities may be changing? I do. I don't see it as MY obligation or MY responsibility to spend my money (that I don't have right now anyway) to support something that I don't want to support, just because you have a passion for it. I don't criticize your passion, why are you so hell-bent on criticizing me??

Maybe this will help you understand. I like music (insert "bball" or "WNBA"). Would you expect me to buy a CD (insert "tickets") of a new artist (insert "league")just because you had a passion for that particular artist (insert "league")? I would hope not. Even though I like music (insert "bball" or "WNBA"), I don't like all of the artists (insert "teams"), therefore, I won't buy their music (insert "tickets").

I'll even take it a little bit further. Say an artist (insert "team") that I like does a duet (insert "plays a game with") with someone I don't like at all (insert "Fever")!! I wouldn't purchase (insert "go to") that either. I can still have a passion for music (insert "WNBA"), but that doesn't mean I have to like all of it or buy it!! I would even post a link to an article that I think some people that I know would be interested in reading if I didn't think that they would see it. That's just being a nice person and showing consideration for others.

Does that make sense to you?

BTW, at 3:20 Friday afternoon I accepted a job offer. What part of the approximately $90 a week I'll be earning would you like for me to earmark toward WNBA tickets and travel???? What about for my mortgage? My car payment?? Medical insurance?? Food?? Electricity and heat?? ND tickets and travel (MUCH cheaper and closer than Fever tickets)??

Kelli

PostPosted: 06/04/05 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
But you might want to tone down your on-board rhetoric just a tad.

Not sure I understand what you're meaning here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: