RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Holy $%@#!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 06/01/05 11:15 am    ::: Holy $%@#!!!! Reply Reply with quote

I am in utter shock at the moment. This is what Jim Rome actually said about Danica Patrick.........

Few things in sports ever live up to the hype, but Danica Patrick did Sunday when she ran fourth at the Indy 500.

Patrick made a couple of rookie mistakes but overcame them and even had the lead late. That race mattered for the first time in a decade and it was all because of Danica. That was the single best performance by a woman going up against men in a sporting event ever. She was under immense pressure and scrutiny and didn’t unravel. She needs to actually win a race to take it to the next level, but make no mistake, she belongs. She’s not some novelty act. She’s the best thing that has happened to this sport in a decade.

Does anyone even know who won the race?

[i]

I'd have never guessed in a million years that he'd say something like this unless he had a gun to his head or she was in studio sitting across the table from him. Neither was the case. No props at all to you Rome because you owe the world of women's sports a LARGE apology...but at least for 1 fleeting moment, you "get it".

herrade

PostPosted: 06/01/05 12:47 pm    ::: Re: Holy $%@#!!!! Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
I'd have never guessed in a million years that he'd say something like this unless he had a gun to his head or she was in studio sitting across the table from him. Neither was the case. No props at all to you Rome because you owe the world of women's sports a LARGE apology...but at least for 1 fleeting moment, you "get it".

I watched the first and last 20 laps or so of the indy, and what impressed me the most was that the whole crowd stood up when Danica took the lead at the end and they stayed on their feet for her. These aren't coastal liberals, folks. If all those people can have so much respect and enthusiasm for a woman in sports, then we're going some place.

PostPosted: 06/01/05 1:22 pm    ::: Re: Holy $%@#!!!! Reply Reply with quote

"I watched the first and last 20 laps or so of the indy, and what impressed me the most was that the whole crowd stood up when Danica took the lead at the end and they stayed on their feet for her. These aren't coastal liberals, folks. If all those people can have so much respect and enthusiasm for a woman in sports, then we're going some place."

Herrade, I can tell you haven't spent much time in Indiana - or probably most of the flyover states. While they do skew more right, we Hoosiers are not that far from the "coast liberals" and we definitely don't want to do away with women's rights. Purdue and Notre Dame are two of the most successful and best supported women's basketball programs in the country. We are one of a handful of states with a WNBA team. Stephanie White might well be the most beloved sports figure in the state and used to sell out high school gyms. Don't know exactly what you are trying to say, but you might try being a little less elitist and condescending towards "all those people."

pilight

PostPosted: 06/01/05 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I told you, Rome has softened up. I guess getting his TV shows cancelled over and over has had an effect.

PostPosted: 06/01/05 3:37 pm    ::: Re: Holy $%@#!!!! Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
don't know exactly what you are trying to say...

btw, before another person jumps on my shit for being elitist, you might want to try to figure out what i'm trying to say first -- that means asking for clarification rather than insulting me. also, consider that you don't have a goddamn clue where i come from, what my socio-economic background is, and why the fuck i would want to be elitist with you anyway. in short, back off.

PostPosted: 06/01/05 3:52 pm    ::: Re: Holy $%@#!!!! Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Don't know exactly what you are trying to say, but you might try being a little less elitist and condescending towards "all those people."

this post disappeared for some reason...

Chill out. I wasn't being condescending, but rather complementary.

First, I would be really surprised if all 500,000 people at the indy race were from Indiana, so my comments weren't directed to folks from Indiana at all. Also, racing people are *my people*. I have some experience with racing crowds -- my parents dragged me everywhere from Indy to the local dirt track when I was a kid (I got my picture taken w/ Kyle Petty in the winner's circle at the Poconos when I was 5!), and the crowds aren't quite the sports enthusiasts you would expect to be overtly pro-woman. There's all that demo research on the "NASCAR dad" -- conservative, pro-Bush, etc. I know NASCAR does not equal indy racing, but there *is* an overlap. I just pictured my dad, or my red-neck Uncle Paul, in that crowd, standing up for Danica, and I got all teary eyed.

PostPosted: 06/01/05 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also an honorable mention to Dave (Letterman), for putting her in a quality car with a top-notch crew...

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 06/01/05 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
Also an honorable mention to Dave (Letterman), for putting her in a quality car with a top-notch crew...

I know! It's yet another reason why I love David Letterman. He also did a lot to increase public awareness/credibility of the '99 World Cup with his "Soccer Moms? Soccer Mamas!"

PostPosted: 06/03/05 5:49 pm    ::: SI has her on the cover (week of June 6). Reply Reply with quote

Pretty cool. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: