RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So has anyone's opinion on McCarville changed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/16/04 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey I can't wait for the schedule to see if another road trip to Uncasville is warranted...I loved that place!!!

We upped yesterday. Same seats, with an option for even closer if the opportunity is there.

Although I do not how much the kid has left for autographs, except for Smoovie's stuff now!

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 12/16/04 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed my Lib tickets are actually cheaper than last year's....which makes me very happy!!! I like my seats (I hope my neighbors renew their tickets -- aka Linda), but I like me seats...if I need an upgrade, I'll hit up Donna!! LOL!!

Speaking of which, where is Donna???

dtsnms wrote:
Quote:
Hey I can't wait for the schedule to see if another road trip to Uncasville is warranted...I loved that place!!!

We upped yesterday. Same seats, with an option for even closer if the opportunity is there.

Although I do not how much the kid has left for autographs, except for Smoovie's stuff now!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/16/04 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They bumped mine $5 per game higher!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/16/04 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
I noticed my Lib tickets are actually cheaper than last year's....which makes me very happy!!! I like my seats (I hope my neighbors renew their tickets -- aka Linda), but I like me seats...if I need an upgrade, I'll hit up Donna!! LOL!!

Last I heard from her, she was at a Club Med in Florida, but I do know that she'll be in Miami tomorrow for the Nuggets/Heat game.
I'd be cool if you all (Linda included) could be sitting in the same section, so I don't have to be all around the Garden to complain about the team and the refs lol

PostPosted: 12/17/04 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Mel...you know the seat next to mine is almostalways empty. My friend Cheryl from DC can't make it to all the games...so you're more than welcome to come by if they ban you from Donna's section Smile

I wish I could be Donna's neighbor but I can't afford those seats. It's always fun to yell at Bill Laimbeer and the rest of the visiting team Wink

BCBG25 wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Last I heard from her, she was at a Club Med in Florida, but I do know that she'll be in Miami tomorrow for the Nuggets/Heat game.
I'd be cool if you all (Linda included) could be sitting in the same section, so I don't have to be all around the Garden to complain about the team and the refs lol

fang

PostPosted: 12/17/04 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

Do you really think she's only a "fine" college player?

Last night, she had 31 points, 13 rebounds, 5 steals, 4 assists, and 3 blocks against the #1 team in the country. Other than a little help from Broback, she was basically alone out there all night.

She was given the jobs of: running our offense, creating the open shots for everyone on the floor (since no one else can create their own), helping on d when our guards got beat (every time), and both defending and posting up against a preternaturally talented player 4 inches taller than she.

And she did it all well.

Yes, her pro prospects are another matter entirely. But I'll ask the same question I asked last time -- is she better than Tamika Williams? The answer is obvious.

Yes, the answer is obvious - Williams is better than McCarville will ever be in the pros. Look at Williams' 2004 statistics. She is faster than McC, she is a better defensive player than McC will ever be, and, as in college, she is incredibly efficient from the floor.

Ranks #13 in the WNBA in Rebounds Per Game(6.0)
Ranks #1 in the WNBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.54)
Ranks #7 in the WNBA in Offensive Rebounds(82.0)
Ranks #5 in the WNBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(2.4)
Ranks #18 in the WNBA in Defensive Rebounds(123.0)
Ranks #18 in the WNBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(3.6)
Ranks #13 in the WNBA in Total Rebounds(205.0)
Ranks #11 in the WNBA in Double-doubles(3.0)
Ranks #7 in the WNBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 40 Minutes(3.4)

Comparing what McC does in college with what Williams is doing in the W is disengenuous, at best.

The on-court personality comment is kind of strange. Off the court, Williams is a riot. She is very funny and fast talking. On the court she just takes care of business.

Stating that McC is more athletic than Cheryl Ford.. we'll see about that.

McCarville is a very clever passer and quick around the basket. In these things, the comparison to Tamika Williams is valid. McC will have a role in the W, and will be better off in the east, where there are more half-court offenses. However, I still think she will be a defensive liability, and, given that she will not be the focus ofthe offense, her total value will be greatly diminished.

As far as SDS saying that Charlotte should take her first - I'd like to have some of what she's smoking. Charlotte needs to get someone to take Dawn Staley's place. They should take Cappie Pondexter, if she gets her life straightened out. As I said in the previous thread on McC, Minn needs guards, not posts. When the Lynx start to win with regularity, they will draw all the fans they ever will draw, no matter what amount that ends up being.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/17/04 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, I'm a Lynx season ticket holder and I like Tamika. But her production has declined each year. She is a solid W player, but not a great one. I believe Janel will be better.

As I said yesterday, Janel is not slower than Tamika in any respect other than getting up the court.

As far as defensive skills, I think Janel will end up being a better rebounder, and a better shot blocker, in large part because of her bigger, stronger hands and her much higher verticle. With her quicker feet and better hands, I also think she'll get more steals.

I've never met Tamika, bet most everyone says she's a great person off the floor. And I like watching her play just fine, but it's not as much fun to me as watching Janel.

As I see it, Tamika's greatest asset is her Basketball IQ, her Gretzky-like knack for being in the right place at the right time. That's why she is such a good rebounder for her size. That's why she's so effecient -- because lots of her points are from uncontested layups.

The drawback is that, while she has some great games, there are some games where she disappears. Frankly, sometimes I think Tamika lacks the intensity we need out there. And I wonder whether she really likes it here (who can blame her?).

Disingenuous, eh? Well, I never compared Tamika's pro numbers to Janel's college numbers, as far as I can recall. I see them both play a lot, so I try to give some comparison of their games based on what I see. Predicting what Janel will do in the pros is just predicting.

In terms of on-court personality.... Janel gets us out of our seats. Tamika doesn't. Maybe Janel won't be able to in the W. But I'd love to be able to see her try.

The Lynx and the Gophs are my teams. I like Tamika and Janel, but I like Janel better, and I'm predicting she'll have a better pro career. I don't say that with a high degree of confidence -- it's just my prediction, and you never can tell till we get there. This debate won't be settled for about 5 years. With luck, they'll both still be in the league and doing great by then.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/18/04 7:55 pm    ::: Tamika vs Janel vs TT vs whoever Reply Reply with quote

Personality: Tamika's an inspiring extrovert (and a great interview) off-court but doesn't seem able to bring that sunshine on-court, or to inspire her teammates. Janel does.

Stats: on a good night Tamika does two things: rebounds from missed interior shots-- lots of them, on both ends-- and putbacks. On a bad night Tamika does nothing. Of course she leads the league in FG%: she only takes layups, and she's not a great passer. Janel can do so many, many more things, though of course we can't KNOW if she'll do them in the W.

Lynx needs, past and present: Glen and Suzie clearly think more of Tamika than I do: they ruled out any trades involving her. Ohlde and Hayden weren't there to replace Tamika, though Hayden has played that role at times: we took them both because without them our only real 5 was the injury-prone, foul-prone, slow Michelle Van Gorp. (Whose hard work and integrity I admire, but still.) Right now the Lynx need guards, guards, guards, guards.

Player comparisons: too soon to know, of course, but that hasn't stopped us before: I'll take Janel in two years over Ford or Riley (or Williams or Asja) as they are now. (Another player she resembles in some ways: Taj McWilliams-Franklin.) LJ and TT comparisons don't make much sense-- Janel's not a 3-ball shooter, never will be (last week she made her first three-pointer EVER); LJ and TT won't set hard picks or turn into low-post bangers when their team needs it, because other players (at least in Seattle) do that-- Janel can turn those skills on at will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: