RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breaking News: Alexander wants to sell the Houston Comets.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/17/06 6:11 pm    ::: Re: Breaking News: Alexander wants to sell the Houston Comet Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If there's that much trouble finding people to buy in, the league is in trouble anyway.

Which is part of the problem.

NK

PostPosted: 10/17/06 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Frankly, I don't feel like typing a small book.

He's been pushing the sale idea for some time now behind the scenes.

One issue is his asking price.

He tried to sell the team out from under us a few years ago, with the idea of them going out of town. They were his ex-trophy wife's plaything and his ego wanted them gone. The controlling powers weren't going to allow that at the time.

Now? Who knows? He's been offered very good money for them in the past but the new owners wanted them to stay in Houston and Les wouldn't accept that.

Not sure how the lease works at the TC. I know Mayor Brown sold away everything he could and pocketed the $. He's hiding in his chalet in Italy, safe from extradition and most of his staff is in federal prison or awaiting trial.

I have no idea how this will affect the team or if he can even sell them. He's been offered lots before and passed on it.

This does explain the chaos in the front office lately.

I think we have to realize that we could lose the team, and if we do, it's due to the continued lack of support and shrinking fan base. That can only be blamed on Van Chancellor and his years of neglet and mismanagement.

I wanted that bastard gone back in '02 and I took a lot of heat for it on thehrr.com

I said back then that Van would be the man responsible for Houston losing the WNBA unless he was replaced. I also said I wanted to be wrong in that prediction.

PostPosted: 10/17/06 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
There's more to this than meets the eye.

Frankly, I don't feel like typing a small book.

He's been pushing the sale idea for some time now behind the scenes.

One issue is his asking price.

He tried to sell the team out from under us a few years ago, with the idea of them going out of town. They were his ex-trophy wife's plaything and his ego wanted them gone. The controlling powers weren't going to allow that at the time.

Now? Who knows? He's been offered very good money for them in the past but the new owners wanted them to stay in Houston and Les wouldn't accept that.

Not sure how the lease works at the TC. I know Mayor Brown sold away everything he could and pocketed the $. He's hiding in his chalet in Italy, safe from extradition and most of his staff is in federal prison or awaiting trial.

I have no idea how this will affect the team or if he can even sell them. He's been offered lots before and passed on it.

This does explain the chaos in the front office lately.

I think we have to realize that we could lose the team, and if we do, it's due to the continued lack of support and shrinking fan base. That can only be blamed on Van Chancellor and his years of neglet and mismanagement.

I wanted that bastard gone back in '02 and I took a lot of heat for it on thehrr.com

I said back then that Van would be the man responsible for Houston losing the WNBA unless he was replaced. I also said I wanted to be wrong in that prediction.

I realize it but, I'm not accepting it until it's WRITTEN in STONE Sad

Grandmasterflash and the Furious Five
pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/06 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:

The neglect and mismanagement started much higher up than Van.

PostPosted: 10/17/06 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NK wrote:

The neglect and mismanagement started much higher up than Van.

Chicken and egg thing. Please don't try and tell me about the history and background of the Houston Comets.

The neglect was due to Van, period. You can try and pick it apart by saying it was Les who left him there and that's true. That was because Les didn't care.

With a real coach and GM in place we wouldn't have lost the fanbase. So I'll put it on Van, where it belongs. Were the franchise financially successful, Les wouldn't have any excuse to get rid of the team and our chances of losing them would be far less if not non-existant.

PostPosted: 10/17/06 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This makes darn near a quarter of the league's teams having some sort of ownership change and/or rumblings about moving in the same season.

And that bothers me a lot.

THE GOTCHA713

PostPosted: 10/17/06 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yah...my sources confirm the above. for you locals watch fox26 news at 9pm. more details to come.

PostPosted: 10/17/06 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have faith Comet fans. Hopefully, all will go well.

PostPosted: 10/17/06 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Have faith Comet fans. Hopefully, all will go
well.

Local ownership isn't the problem here.

We've got more than a few people who have expressed interest in the team and have made offers in the past.

The issue is the TC, Mayor Brown gave away everything (yes, much graft was involved) and Les could make the rent so prohibitively high, that it would be impossible to keep the team in town. Les has an ego the size of Venus and the Comets represent his ex wife.

Remember, Les is a vindictive little man with a Napoleonic complex. He has wanted the team gone for years. With the huge drop in season ticket sales this fall, he may finally have his excuse. I wasn't going to say it before, but I may as well now........ season ticket sales are at less than 600, just a few years ago it was over 6000. At the peak of the glory years it was over 8000. By far the largest of any team in the league save for the Mystics in their early years. The move to the TC dropped it down to around 4000+, last season it was down to 1800 or so.

The sorry truth is, in a city the size of Houston, there really isn't any other place for the team to play. Hard to believe, but it's true.

PostPosted: 10/17/06 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...from the Chronicle:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4266677.html

Quote:
"The WNBA is going into independent ownership now, in Chicago, Washington, Charlotte, really focusing on the women's team. We're looking at all the options to determine the best way to go forward."

...Charlotte?...is Bob Johnson shopping the Sting as actively as Alexander is the Comets?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/06 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
...Charlotte?...is Bob Johnson shopping the Sting as actively as Alexander is the Comets?

There's a group led by Cindy Sisson trying to buy the Sting

PostPosted: 10/18/06 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
This makes darn near a quarter of the league's teams having some sort of ownership change and/or rumblings about moving in the same season.

And that bothers me a lot.

I'm thinking about the last time the CBA entered the last year of the agreement. (Deja vu.)

At least in this case, there seem to be a couple of candidates for relocation.

suemar

PostPosted: 10/18/06 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I want for Christmas is the Comets!! Actually, I would be happy to find team owners who love the womens game, listen to what fans want and dont have areana deals,etc as their primary focus. Its a business but still...I hope it works out okay.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:
All I want for Christmas is the Comets!! Actually, I would be happy to find team owners who love the womens game, listen to what fans want and dont have areana deals,etc as their primary focus. Its a business but still...I hope it works out okay.

DITTO suemar...I don't ask for MUCH but, this is all I want for Christmas too, LOL

I know business is business but, I hope everything works out positively for the Houston Comets and their fans...

mztay

PostPosted: 10/18/06 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with NK...this organization has gone awry for a while now...with the ever-increasing angst that alot of fans have with Van and the explosive news that Sheryl has been boinking the female, assistant coach for years right under management's noses (with a full-scale, media blitz and interviews that highlighted it during the fall months ), petitions PLUS the obvious reminder to Les that he bought them for the trophy wife. He just wants this organization out of his mind--I can't say I blame him and its not like he's the only one looking for takers. I do believe, however, that there are places to play, i.e., Hoffeinz Pavillion--which seems ideal, IMO. The fanbase is being lost because of many things and its up to us to get it back and we CAN get it back. If the prospective owner(s) believe the fans need or want the TC--they couldn't be more wrong. We just want a few changes, that's all but there goes my plan to boycott the Comets if Van stays--I don't want them to leave.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with MzTay on this one.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/18/06 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also agree with MzTay, but disagree with MsTena-T & NK.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Well, I disagree with you disagreeing with Tena, because I completely agree with her other than disagreeing with her agreeing with NK, but agree with her agreeing with mztay. Other than that, I agree with you.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comets2207 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Well, I disagree with you disagreeing with Tena, because I completely agree with her other than disagreeing with her agreeing with NK, but agree with her agreeing with mztay. Other than that, I agree with you.

I agree! Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/18/06 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

W-H-A-T??? This has got to be a JOKE...Please tell me I'm right? C2207, you know my head is FUCKED UP this morning Shocked Laughing

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 10/18/06 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So are you guys are saying Swoopes was the final straw that broke the camel's back? I'm just asking? I was not going to boycott the Comets anyway. But like many they don't have to playing in Toyota for me. However, I think new ownership would like to see an average of 7,000 plus and nowhere else can hold that. Good dialogue going on here.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 10/18/06 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cherry...I don't think Sheryl is mztay's point...it was the mismanagment of that entire situation for such a long time, and it's affect on the team's morale. He was not in control of the team, and they gave up playing for him...heck, some players just walked out on contracts during that period...unheard of in Houston.

And, just fyi...Hofheinz Pavillion holds 8,500, with luxury boxes around the top rim. Very nice venue to re-establish the stability of the season ticket holder base, imo.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not a big fan of Van Chancellor. He has been unfailingly uncooperative with me over the years, almost to the point of rudeness. If I were a network TV guy, I'm sure he would have been Mr. Southern Charm ... hypocrites always annoy me.

That said, Van's reign in Houston has been, by and large, a successful one. He hasn't drafted well, but they've never had high picks. (Who could they have drafted that they didn't?)

Swoopes, a lesser Barry Bonds, is a problem. She's a great, great player, but not the kind of personality you build a franchise around. You can't trade her because she's an icon, but when you keep her as her skills fade, her annoyance factor becomes higher and higher.

Who else could they trade? Tina? Michelle Snow?

I don't think Van's the genius he was made out to be when the Comets were winning it all, but he's not a doofus either. He may be a bit of a jerk, or more than a bit of a jerk, but he's been an above average WNBA coach/GM. Has his time passed? Most likely -- but who out there is going to be better? Ann Meyers?

PostPosted: 10/18/06 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I don't think Van's the genius he was made out to be when the Comets were winning it all, but he's not a doofus either. He may be a bit of a jerk, or more than a bit of a jerk, but he's been an above average WNBA coach/GM. Has his time passed? Most likely -- but who out there is going to be better? Ann Meyers?

If Michael Cooper was offered the position to re-unite with Karleen and coach the Comets, I believe he would go for it.

ode88

PostPosted: 10/18/06 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

That said, Van's reign in Houston has been, by and large, a successful one. He hasn't drafted well, but they've never had high picks. (Who could they have drafted that they didn't?)

Take a look at the 1999 draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: