Encounters with Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/29/06 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cometsdrivefor5 wrote:
Tina Thompson is a well EDUCATED woman

She went to school in California, so the quality of her education is always going to be overstated.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/29/06 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What jammer said...

Like there aren't outstanding schools in California to get an education? Hello, Stanford.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/29/06 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I will always love Lauren Jackson for my encounter with her in 2003. After winning WVGM, I got to back after Game #2 to a reception for the All-WNBA teams. Jackson was there, having won her MVP. After I fought to get in front of her in the buffet line, I told her Timmsy had revealed Jackson was the MVP several weeks prior. Her response? She jokingly exclaimed, "That bitch!"

Great story!

LJ always makes me laugh! Laughing

PostPosted: 09/29/06 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
What jammer said...

Like there aren't outstanding schools in California to get an education? Hello, Stanford.

that's one...
Wink

shizanna

PostPosted: 09/29/06 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll leave my sister's school out of it because they're CRAZY up there...

But take your pick...California has some GREAT schools depending on what you want to study.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 09/29/06 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
We'll leave my sister's school out of it because they're CRAZY up there...

But take your pick...California has some GREAT schools depending on what you want to study.

i'm just teasing you guys because you're letting pilight get to you.
don't be defensive...of course there are great schools in Cali. not as good as New York Wink but great schools....

shizanna

PostPosted: 09/29/06 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, not being defensive at all. Just pointing out a less than bright statement by pilight. Wink

Truthseeker

PostPosted: 09/29/06 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I do know about TT's answer is that the child TT talked about was thrilled and made her more of a star at school.

Sass

PostPosted: 09/29/06 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once again, another rebkell thread goes everywhere.

Penechiero: she always looks like she's pissed or constipated. Or both. But I'm sure she's just a swell person.

Conversate: who fucken cares.

Great schools in Cali: there are so many. It's a big state, and quality abounds in greater numbers. Not even the big colleges, either - it's usually the smaller ones.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
akronborn

PostPosted: 09/30/06 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the "conversate" thing. I've always known it isn't a real word, and would point it out, when I used it, then I realized that other people for the most part knew that, but also just chose to say it. Some things are just said as communication to convey a thought. Whenever people say it, it's understood by me at least, which was the point. It's one of the more obvious nonwords, I'd even let Bush get away w/ that one.

To validate the response I'm college educated, well read, and got almost perfect scores on government reading/writing achievement tests.

On topic, I think the feature is really interesting. I haven't met any basketball players with the exception of Cooper.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 10/02/06 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, Sixthwoman - where'd you get that avatar!?

Best pic of Diana I've seen in a very long time. I have a friend who has the hot hot hots for her (a guy, who'd have guessed?!), and would love to email it to him. That's a photo that makes me go - whoa! She looks terrific in it.

Maybe Ticha would talk to me if she saw the ODU sticker in my back window. Pretty sure I've got the only one in AZ. Or offer to take her Scottsdale shopping, then pawn her off on Cam and Caune for time with some real fashionistas!

PostPosted: 10/02/06 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
Best pic of Diana I've seen in a very long time.

Si, si. It's the first picture I've ever seen of her where she doesn't look butt ass ugly.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
cometsdrivefor5

PostPosted: 10/02/06 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

Si, si. It's the first picture I've ever seen of her where she doesn't look butt ass ugly.

Aw, DAMN Laughing

Grandmasterflash and the Furious Five
Barrister15

PostPosted: 10/02/06 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the language thing: irregardless is another one of those words that people use thinking it's a real word and isn't. I heard a judge use it the other day. Clearly, education and proper grammar do not go hand and hand all the time.

As for the actual thread: TJ/Precious. OMG. Does that guy show up in the background of every east coast game or what? I'd love to know what he does for a living that he (a) has so much time that he can go to all those games and (b) afford it (and those stunning outfits he wears).

And the Nicole that Whitmore referred to... did she (along with her partner) have the Liberty logo shaved into their hair and the Lib tattoos for the fan contest? Totally didn't think they should have won that... I was partial to the pigeon in the Liberty jersey who tried to mate with the T-Spoon bobblehead.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/02/06 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
On the language thing: irregardless is another one of those words that people use thinking it's a real word and isn't. I heard a judge use it the other day. Clearly, education and proper grammar do not go hand and hand all the time.

As for the actual thread: TJ/Precious. OMG. Does that guy show up in the background of every east coast game or what? I'd love to know what he does for a living that he (a) has so much time that he can go to all those games and (b) afford it (and those stunning outfits he wears).

And the Nicole that Whitmore referred to... did she (along with her partner) have the Liberty logo shaved into their hair and the Lib tattoos for the fan contest? Totally didn't think they should have won that... I was partial to the pigeon in the Liberty jersey who tried to mate with the T-Spoon bobblehead.

Yes Barrister that is Nicole...a really nice person as is her partner

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 10/02/06 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

Lovely.

suemar

PostPosted: 10/02/06 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1Margofan wrote:
I call Precious "Sandal Man" I have seen him at every womens basketball event I have been to.. Final 4's The All Star game this year.. He must be quite a fan...... BUT why does he sit behind the VISITORS bench??

Probbly sits there to see more players than just his own team. I always sat behind visitors bench and tunnel at Styx games when I had weekend ticket package.

PostPosted: 10/02/06 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Precious, and all those outfits. I've never seen him, but just the name conjures up "Silence of the Lambs" in my mind. Guess he dresses like Jame Gumm? If he sews, too, then I'm a little freaked!

Sass wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

If that's a comment about how rarely Diana is photographed in an artsy/fashionable way that shows off her natural radiance and beauty, then I agree.

If it's not, then Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/02/06 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved "The Franchise's" answer... (I'm referring to Lisa Leslie of course). Perhaps it was the most blunt, but she gave her honest opinion... that's something that is commendable... that's why Charles Barkley is so popular. Lisa never said she doesn't sign and talk to people... because she does that, and is probably asked to do that as much, especially with her being the best player and perhaps most recognizable in the world (look at the jersey sales).

I thought about the conversate thing too when I saw it, but I didn't give it a second thought. The overall point of her response was far more important than her saying "conversate." She still got her point across.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/02/06 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
SuziQ wrote:

That's not very nice...anyway, I think she's really pretty in person...although, I've always been one to not think the "barbie" types are the prettiest girls..Anyway, I'd like to know where the hell her freckles go in some pictures...

And dare I ask where the nick name "precious" comes from..

PostPosted: 10/03/06 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And dare I ask where the nick name "precious" comes from..

"It puts the lotion on it's skin!"
I'm tellin' ya, it's Clarice and the gang, gotta be!

PostPosted: 10/03/06 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzi..think the ODU sticker would help with TP? I wonder? I still need my ball signed by AD!!

I liked LL answer for the honesty. Especially the mickey mouse part. Talking to a fan is one thing but getting grabbed, asked to come to the fan, etc is quite much.

I was told by security one year in Charlotte that the NBA security requirements are followed for WNBA. I.E how far to keep fans from the team bus, etc. Until that time I hadnt thought about rabid fans grabbing the players.

PostPosted: 10/03/06 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:
Suzi..think the ODU sticker would help with TP? I wonder? I still need my ball signed by AD!!

Oh, I doubt it'd make a difference if she's not of a bent to do such things, but it could at least start a conversation, given that it's rarer than snow in Phoenix to see an ODU sticker here. I'm going to buy an ASU one when the season starts, so I gots my East Coast/West Coast sorta covered.

I think players should participate to whatever level they feel comfortable. It is important for fans to feel appreciated. However, I have always been hesitant to interrupt any celebrity in public. I just can't help but think, "Gee, if that was me, would I ALWAYS feel like being friendly? Probably not. Would I ALWAYS be nice if I was constantly having my personal moments or meals interrupted? Probably not." They are people just like you and I. Just because they are sports stars does not make them automatically "ours", know what I mean? There is and should be a line between when they're working and when they're not.

I was in Vegas in January, having breakfast at a place in the Forums Shops at Caesar's Palace. Almost done when our server said, "Did you see who's sitting behind you? It's Pete Rose!". Sure enough, there he was. I had my camera w/ me, probably could've gone to him and gotten a photo. But I had noticed before we went in the restaurant that there was a sign announcing he was signing at the Field of Dreams store. Knowing he was there to work, knowing that mostly he does that by signing now, I could not bring myself to ask him for a freebie in the restaurant. I paid my money like everyone else, because for him, that's his job now. It'd be like ripping off someone.

I feel that if they're outside the confines of an arena or the sporting event, then you should be respectful of their privacy and mood. If you ask and are refused, hopefully the refusal is polite and so is your reaction.

PostPosted: 10/03/06 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oooh. I don't think I would bother with feeling guilty about not paying for Pete Rose's auto, of all people.

PostPosted: 10/04/06 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very classy SuziQ. Pete was most likely signing the balls again. I always feel like I need to acknowledge the person I run in to outside the areanafor some reason but I dont ask for pics or autographs. After a DC game Mique and Chones were at restrauant across from MCI, sitting two tables away. I couldnt help myself and went over to say nice game before they ordered dinner. Funny part is Im a Styx fan but was wearing my Sparks shirt at the time as I was hoping to LL to sign the ball!!!

We shook hands with Styx at the airport and said nice game but didnt ask for autographs there either. Actually I couldnt have gotten it together enough to find a pen as we were so surprised to see the entire team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: