RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Encounters with Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/06 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
And I think just proves to myself why I dislike Ticha. All those years playing pro and she has nothing to say. Maybe if she actually smiled and looked pleasant one time, someone might want to talk to her.

This from the person who was wisked away from people in Mohegan Sun by the guy with her with a "aw hell no" when people were trying to get her autograph. He grabbed her by the arm and they took off. Then when they came back out, he just waived everyone away and when I asked how about one for the kids was answered with "no way, man, we're out of here"

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 09/29/06 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Sass wrote:
And I think just proves to myself why I dislike Ticha. All those years playing pro and she has nothing to say. Maybe if she actually smiled and looked pleasant one time, someone might want to talk to her.

This from the person who was wisked away from people in Mohegan Sun by the guy with her with a "aw hell no" when people were trying to get her autograph. He grabbed her by the arm and they took off. Then when they came back out, he just waived everyone away and when I asked how about one for the kids was answered with "no way, man, we're out of here"

Damn. I did find her answer to be a little weird considering how long she's been in the league. I find stuff like that funny in a weird way. It's like one player who saw a bunch of people running toward her in a hotel lobby and started running off in a huff talking about "I'm not signing no muthaf***in autographs today" only to have everyone run past her to en route to getting another player's autograph. Player #2 was in the lobby signing when I got back a half hour later while Player #1 stormed off shocked that no one recognized her. Laughing
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/06 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Ebonics? Wow. People actually fell for that propaganda? And still do? Wow. Ebonics exists about as much as trees with million dollar leaves. That term is about as degrading as telling a kid in Bed Stuy that he "speaks well". Next we're going to be discussing "street cred". Rolling Eyes

I planted one of those trees, but the roots were too shallow. Did I say "Roots", uh oh, don't want to go there! Wink

#1Margofan

PostPosted: 09/29/06 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tell me, is precious the guy with the long blond hair and always wears "capri" style pants and flip flops??

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/06 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1Margofan wrote:
Tell me, is precious the guy with the long blond hair and always wears "capri" style pants and flip flops??

Heck yes! I'm partial to the leopard print pants myself.

We joke about him because with that look he's very noticable and seems to ALWAYS show up on camera or in pictures, etc at various games in various sites, pro and college.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 09/29/06 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LL's answer was honest, but it wasn't nice, as is always the case with her. I can appreciate that though.

PostPosted: 09/29/06 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Am I the only one who is bothered that TT used "conversate" in her reply?

As far as I know this isn't even close to being a word...try "converse".

TT has my respect (LL gets my disdain), yet didn't she go to college?

Sorry, ebonics are a pet peave.

i was bothered by Tina's use of "conversate" as well. it is most certainly not a word. i thought that one had been made fun enough on late-night television as to clear it out of anyone's misguided vocabulary. i was hoping perhaps she had been misquoted?

#1Margofan

PostPosted: 09/29/06 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I call Precious "Sandal Man" I have seen him at every womens basketball event I have been to.. Final 4's The All Star game this year.. He must be quite a fan...... BUT why does he sit behind the VISITORS bench??

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/06 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dictionary.com recognizes "conversate":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conversate

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Key word being:

Quote:
Usage: slang

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

yes it does...as slang...

but please let's not start the debate about slang and language and all that. as far as i am concerned, 'conversate' is not a legitimate word. i can go get my OED if necessary...i sincerely doubt it is in there, even as slang, but of course i could be mistaken.

but personally, my post was simply to express my opinion that i was disturbed that TT used the word in question. it surprised me. that's all.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, we're saying that slang is inappropriate in this conext?

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No disrespect to here but, I don't get all the HYPE about her using the word conversate Confused Tina Thompson is a well EDUCATED woman (and not perfect) and a GREAT basketball player that's all that should matter!!! I"m sure we all have heard far WORST things coming out of someone's mouth but, I we survived Very Happy

Grandmasterflash and the Furious Five
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsdrivefor5 wrote:
No disrespect to here but, I don't get all the HYPE about her using the word conversate Confused Tina Thompson is a well EDUCATED woman (and not perfect) and a GREAT basketball player that's all that should matter!!! I"m sure we all have heard far WORST things coming out of someone's mouth but, I we survived Very Happy

Maybe she should get TO's publicist. After all a "woman of her statue" deserves better! Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsdrivefor5 wrote:
Tina Thompson is a well EDUCATED woman

She went to school in California, so the quality of her education is always going to be overstated.

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
cometsdrivefor5 wrote:

Maybe she should get TO's publicist. After all a "woman of her statue" deserves better! Laughing

I'm sure she's pass that one up!!! Wink

Tina, PLEASE retract that word from your statement, I beg you!! I want you to be remembered as a great basketball player and not the player who used the word conversate Sad Laughing

Disclosure: I guess I should say she's a GREAT basketball player as far as I'm concerned! Wink

Grandmasterflash and the Furious Five

Last edited by cometsdrivefor5 on 09/29/06 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 09/29/06 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just put off to her having been around Damon Jones a little too long...

PostPosted: 09/29/06 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
So, we're saying that slang is inappropriate in this conext?

New words are always being added to the dictionary. At one point in our history, the word "nice" was also considered slang.

mb1

PostPosted: 09/29/06 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the person who initiated part of this discussion, let me state that I consider TT both a talented athlete and an educated woman, and will always recognize her as a great bb player.

Perhaps it is due to my respect for her, that is was disappointing to have her use a slang word in resonse to an interview question.

IMHO, again just my personal opinion and this particular pet peave...this slang word grates me even when used in casual conversation.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/06 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
As the person who initiated part of this discussion, let me state that I consider TT both a talented athlete and an educated woman, and will always recognize her as a great bb player.

Perhaps it is due to my respect for her, that is was disappointing to have her use a slang word in resonse to an interview question.

IMHO, again just my personal opinion and this particular pet peave...this slang word grates me even when used in casual conversation.

Just admit you're a redneck and move on! Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 09/29/06 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

I met Ticha at a game during her rookie season. She smiled when I wished her good luck and seemed pleasant enough to me. That's why, almost ten years later, I'm still a huge fan of hers.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/29/06 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will always love Lauren Jackson for my encounter with her in 2003. After winning WVGM, I got to back after Game #2 to a reception for the All-WNBA teams. Jackson was there, having won her MVP. After I fought to get in front of her in the buffet line, I told her Timmsy had revealed Jackson was the MVP several weeks prior. Her response? She jokingly exclaimed, "That bitch!"

At that moment, I loved her. Just for saying something irreverent.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/06 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Sass wrote:

I met Ticha at a game during her rookie season. She smiled when I wished her good luck and seemed pleasant enough to me. That's why, almost ten years later, I'm still a huge fan of hers.

Must emphasize, it was the guy with her, not her. She did go along with it though. I'm hoping she was just embarassed and went with it.

caune

PostPosted: 09/29/06 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ticha was not very friendly at Majerles a few years back....but we all know, what happens at Majerles stays at Majerles, so I won't extrapolate Wink

PostPosted: 09/29/06 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

New words are always being added to the dictionary. At one point in our history, the word "nice" was also considered slang.

It appears that the word 'nice' was considered "slang" (i.e. 'colloquial') until about 70-odd years ago, but prior to that it had a very long and tortured etymology. the quotation below was found here: http://www.word-detective.com/back-q.html but this is obviously limited research.

Quote:
"Nice," in fact, has had more different meanings than most English words, and this "nice" word we use to mean "pleasant or agreeable" was once not a very nice word at all.
Way back in the beginning, the Romans had a word for it -- "nescius," which in Latin means "not knowing" or, more bluntly, "ignorant." The French turned "nescius" into "nice," and used it to mean "stupid or simpleminded," and it was this sense that was first carried into English. But by the fourteenth century "nice" had acquired another meaning, that of "wanton or lascivious," so when Chaucer referred to a young woman as "nice," he meant nearly the opposite of what we would mean today.

In a remarkable reversal in the fifteenth century, "nice" swung in the other direction and was used to mean "shy" or "refined," and by the sixteenth century the word had been narrowed down to mean "fastidious or tasteful." We still use this sense in phrases such as "a nice touch" or "a nice distinction."

Our modern use of "nice" to mean "pleasant" dates only from the middle of the 18th century, and was remarkably controversial for many years. It was only in 1934, in fact, that lexicographers at Merriam-Webster stopped labelling this use as "colloquial" in their dictionaries. Which, I suppose, was nice of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: