RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's happening at Penn State?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hooper1

PostPosted: 09/11/06 9:55 pm    ::: What's happening at Penn State? Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have an update?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/11/06 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

talking to someone who follows it closely, nothin' much. He did hint that the whole shoplifiting thing may have been a tad messier than let on...

Ted had some comments a while back

http://womenshoops.blogspot.com/2006/08/in-june-helen-asked-why-times-has-been.html

I'm guessing the start of the season will be an interesting time -- great time to apply pressure....

PostPosted: 09/12/06 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's happening is that once agian Rene Portland will be on the sidelines running the show. Evil or Very Mad

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
PSUAlum

PostPosted: 09/14/06 8:16 am    ::: Depositions Reply Reply with quote

They are in the middle of depositions right now. Both sides have agreed to keep the content of the depositions confidential.

I know that Amanda Brown was already deposed and heard that Rene is up next week.

Because the depositions are to remain confidential I doubt we will be hearing much of what is going on.

Jerrybear

PostPosted: 09/15/06 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully Bigoted Queen Rene will be forced to resign in disgrace, just like Woody Hayes and Richard Nixon.

And hopefully the Penn State program will totally fall apart.

I think they are playing at Michigan this season, and I may get some kind of gay and lesbian rights t-shirt just to wear to that game, and sit somewhere where Rene the Homophobe can see me.

shock6666

PostPosted: 09/15/06 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jerrybear wrote:
Hopefully Bigoted Queen Rene will be forced to resign in disgrace, just like Woody Hayes and Richard Nixon.

I think they are playing at Michigan this season, and I may get some kind of gay and lesbian rights t-shirt just to wear to that game, and sit somewhere where Rene the Homophobe can see me.

I'm hoping we'll be able to organize some sort of protest (like they did at MSU last year) to welcome Rene to A2. Very Happy

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/15/06 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DAMN, I wish they were playing Rutgers at home....

Nov. 10 - at Drexel, 7 p.m.
Nov. 12 - SYRACUSE, 2 p.m.
Nov. 14 - SOUTH CAROLINA, 7 p.m.
Nov. 16 - NOTRE DAME (WPSU), 7 p.m.
Nov. 21 - at Duke, 7 p.m.
Nov. 24 - vs. Rutgers #, 9:30 p.m.
Nov. 25 - vs. Arizona State/Western Kentucky #, 7/9:30 p.m.
Nov. 28 - at St. Francis (Pa.), 7 p.m.
Dec. 1 - at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Dec. 3 - OLD DOMINION (WPSU), 2 p.m.
Dec. 7 - XAVIER, 7 p.m.
Dec. 10 - at Mississippi, 2 p.m.
Dec. 17 - at Georgetown, 3 p.m.
Dec. 28 - at Illinois * (CSN-C/CSN), 7 p.m.
Dec. 31 - at Purdue *, 2 p.m.
Jan. 4 - NORTHWESTERN * (WPSU), 7 p.m.
Jan. 7 - at Michigan *, 2 p.m.
Jan. 11 - OHIO STATE * (CSN-C/CSN), 8 p.m.
Jan. 14 - MICHIGAN *, 2 p.m.
Jan. 21 - at Minnesota *, 2 p.m.
Jan. 25 - MICHIGAN STATE * (CSTV), 6 p.m.
Jan. 28 - IOWA * (CSN-C/CSN), 1 p.m.
Feb. 1 - at Michigan State * (CSN-C/CSN), 8 p.m.
Feb. 4 - WISCONSIN * (WPSU), 2 p.m.
Feb. 11 - at Northwestern *, 2 p.m.
Feb. 15 - MINNESOTA * (WPSU), 7 p.m.
Feb. 18 - at Iowa *, 2 p.m.
Feb. 22 - at Ohio State *, 7 p.m.
Feb. 25 - INDIANA * (WPSU), 2 p.m.

PostPosted: 09/15/06 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably training the parents on how to act like a collective ass at next year's Big Ten Tournament.

Jerrybear

PostPosted: 09/15/06 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="shock6666"][quote="Jerrybear"]Hopefully Bigoted Queen Rene will be forced to resign in disgrace, just like Woody Hayes and Richard Nixon.

I think they are playing at Michigan this season, and I may get some kind of gay and lesbian rights t-shirt just to wear to that game, and sit somewhere where Rene the Homophobe can see me.[/quote]

I'm hoping we'll be able to organize some sort of protest (like they did at MSU last year) to welcome Rene to A2. Very Happy[/quote]

Please e-mail me at ann_arbor_deadhead@yahoo.com regarding this! I am totally serious...I'd like to do something to protest!

shock6666

PostPosted: 09/16/06 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jerrybear wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
Jerrybear wrote:

I'm hoping we'll be able to organize some sort of protest (like they did at MSU last year) to welcome Rene to A2. Very Happy

Please e-mail me at ann_arbor_deadhead@yahoo.com regarding this! I am totally serious...I'd like to do something to protest!

Cool...I saw your PM and tagged you back. I've also contacted the woman at MSU that organized the protest at the MSU game last year. Thought since we'd be drawing the same populations to protest, we could join forces a little bit. I'm usually a pretty low key individual but Portland just makes my blood boil! Evil or Very Mad

tennis2

PostPosted: 09/17/06 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's kind of early for the ohio state game at osu........but a little later in the season.............i will come back here and see if any osu fans might be interested in a protest................have a friend whose connected to most women's and gay issues in that area and know she would be interested...........

JayeRunner

PostPosted: 09/17/06 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They were named one of the top 20 Campuses from The Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students.

http://www.advocate.com/currentstory1_w_ektid35308.asp

This link does not give the scores, but The Columbus Dispatch wrote they scored 19 out of a possible 20 points on a "gay point average" which assess campus policies, programs, and practices, tying them with Ohio State, Princeton, U of Cal at Berkley, etc.

The Dispatch also wrote that the guide is based largely on student perspective. I assume it is safe to say that no one from the Women's BB team contributed.

shock6666

PostPosted: 09/18/06 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JayeRunner wrote:
They were named one of the top 20 Campuses from The Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students.

http://www.advocate.com/currentstory1_w_ektid35308.asp

This link does not give the scores, but The Columbus Dispatch wrote they scored 19 out of a possible 20 points on a "gay point average" which assess campus policies, programs, and practices, tying them with Ohio State, Princeton, U of Cal at Berkley, etc.

The Dispatch also wrote that the guide is based largely on student perspective. I assume it is safe to say that no one from the Women's BB team contributed.

OMG I think my head almost exploded! The womens BB program is only part of the problem at PSU. The administration is just as guilty for letting Portland get away with things for all these years. I need to find an e-mail address for the author of that "guide" and send him a few links regarding PSU and it's feelings towards lesbians in the b-ball program.
I'm also insulted that PSU is mentioned in the same list as the U in my home state that I KNOW is gay friendly and inclusive in SO MANY ways...UGH Thanks for posting that....

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 09/20/06 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know someone who's daughter is a freshman at Oberlin College, it's cool to see they are in the top 5.

It's comforting knowing there is support, if she should need it. Smile

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
sbjules

PostPosted: 09/20/06 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
OMG I think my head almost exploded!

Mine too

Quote:

But I was a little confused about who "they" were. Surely it couldn't be Penn State? Did they get confused with Penn?

JayeRunner

PostPosted: 09/20/06 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

But I was a little confused about who "they" were. Surely it couldn't be Penn State? Did they get confused with Penn?[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. I wondered myself, but Univ of Penn also made the list, scoring 20 out of 20, tied w/ USC for best. PSU was among 9 universities/colleges scoring 19 out of 20.

It is tough to understand, given the score is based in part on practices. Yes, PSU [allegedly] has a policy banning discrimination, but in practice...

KatValeska

PostPosted: 09/20/06 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other news they landed their first recruit for 2007 - 6-3 center/forward Evelyn Lewis - the 29th ranked forward in the class by Scout.com

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/15560312.htm

"I really liked the campus, the team and the coaches," said Lewis. "I liked that the team was like a family. At some places, they don't like you because you might be coming to try to take their spot. In basketball, you're a family and I liked that about Penn State."

JayeRunner

PostPosted: 09/20/06 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

But I was a little confused about who "they" were. Surely it couldn't be Penn State? Did they get confused with Penn?[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. I wondered myself, but Univ of Penn also made the list, scoring 20 out of 20, tied w/ USC for best. PSU was among 9 universities/colleges scoring 19 out of 20.

It is tough to understand, given the score is based in part on practices. Yes, PSU [allegedly] has a policy banning discrimination, but in practice...

shock6666

PostPosted: 09/21/06 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KatValeska wrote:
In other news they landed their first recruit for 2007 - 6-3 center/forward Evelyn Lewis - the 29th ranked forward in the class by Scout.com

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/15560312.htm

"I really liked the campus, the team and the coaches," said Lewis. "I liked that the team was like a family. At some places, they don't like you because you might be coming to try to take their spot. In basketball, you're a family and I liked that about Penn State."

Yeah, I saw that article yesterday. I also noticed they lost a player. Wonder what her story is, other than she got smart.

"Gain one, lose one
While Penn State has Lewis coming in for 2007, the Lady Lions have lost the services of Romano Vynuchalova. According to a women's basketball spokesman, the 6-foot-4 center from Slovakia was granted a release from her letter-of intent."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: