RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT Expands post-season field to 48

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:04 pm    ::: WNIT Expands post-season field to 48 Reply Reply with quote

POSTSEASON WNIT EXPANDS FIELD

September 18, 2006 – Officials of the Postseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament announced today that the 2007 field will expand to 48 teams for the first time in the event’s history.

The eight-team expansion was planned to accommodate an automatic bid for every conference. The WNIT is guaranteeing that each of the nation’s 31 conferences will automatically have at least one spot guaranteed for one of their teams in the Postseason WNIT. The enhancement comes on the heals of a well-received eight-team expansion last year that included automatic berths for teams that won their regular season championship but lost in their conference tournament and did not receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

“This is a continuation of our long-term growth plans for the event, particularly in light of the fact that 2007 will be the event’s ten-year anniversary,” WNIT Executive Director Brent Amick said. “We are very happy to be able to increase the number of postseason play opportunities and broaden the participation in the event by ensuring all conferences will have representation in the WNIT. It’s a very valuable step in the growth of women’s basketball.”

The selection of the 48 teams for the Postseason WNIT will be according to the following:
1. Thirty-one (31) spots will be filled with one team per conference. That team will be the highest-finishing team in the conference’s regular-season standings, that did not advance to the NCAA Tournament. As in the past, the teams’ record must be at or above .500.
2. The remaining seventeen (17) berths will be filled by the top teams available based on the selection criteria used in the past.

The 2007 Postseason WNIT will feature 12 first-round games, followed by 16 second-round games, eight third-round games, four quarterfinal games, two semifinal games and the championship. All games in the single-elimination format are played at the home facilities of participating schools.

The WNIT field will be announced the evening of the NCAA Tournament selections. Games may begin Wednesday, March 14. The championship game will be played on Saturday, March 31, 2007 to better accommodate television coverage of the game.

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

48 teams?!? Shocked That's overkill, IMHO.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
48 teams?!? Shocked That's overkill, IMHO.

I agree. Too many teams.

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ditto. Between the 64 teams in the NCAA and 48 teams in the WNIT, that's 112 teams! You like that quick math. Laughing I'm not sure there are 112 teams good enough for postseason play.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PalaceAthena wrote:
Ditto. Between the 64 teams in the NCAA and 48 teams in the WNIT, that's 112 teams! You like that quick math. Laughing I'm not sure there are 112 teams good enough for postseason play.

Despite that, there will still be teams complaining about being left out.

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PalaceAthena wrote:

Despite that, there will still be teams complaining about being left out.

Or like Texas last year...announcing ahead of time they would not be playing in the post season, so don't send us an invitiation.

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Or like Texas last year...announcing ahead of time they would not be playing in the post season, so don't send us an invitiation.

True.

*Of course, Texas wouldn't have been invited to participate by virtue of having a losing record.

Mathies to LA 2013
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry...I should have announced the sarcasm airplane about to fly over...

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Sarcasm or no, I remember hearing that quote long before Texas dipped below 0.500. But what does it matter?

Mathies to LA 2013
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Sarcasm or no, I remember hearing that quote long before Texas dipped below 0.500. But what does it matter?

It comes straight from the Jan Stirling's Book of Quotable Quotes.

PostPosted: 09/18/06 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
It comes straight from the Jan Stirling's Book of Quotable Quotes.

Oh okay...that's where it comes from. Always wondered about that. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/18/06 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i have a bit of a different take -- tho i do agree to a degree -- this is clearly a tourney where the participating teams of teh "upper" echelon get a chance to practice tournament play, give their seniors/fans a final home game or two, and even go out champions....

It's NOT about games on tv being competitive or not... different than the boy's side... gotta believe that they've gotten committment - or will get committement from schools/sites.. or believes they WILL get it...

they work on a teeny margin -- and are in to promoting women's bball... no one really covers them....so theyre under the radar...

Little background on'em
http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/hw/wbca/wnit.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: