RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hey Bibb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 12/11/04 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the tv show or the major motion picture?

from your laughter, i'm guessing the movie. hahahahahahahahaha!

these are the "official" lyrics, but i remember singing it slightly differently:

Felix the cat
The wonderful, wonderful cat
Whenever he gets in a fix
He reaches into his bag of tricks

Felix the cat
The wonderful, wonderful cat
You'll laugh so much your sides will ache
Your heart will go pit-a-pat
Watching Felix the wonderful cat

PostPosted: 12/11/04 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gawd, we were so easy back then, weren't we, jammer? today, kids need xbox. back then, you could take a stick and some ants crawling around in dirt and pretend you were commanding a convoy over treacherous terrain. complete with your own sound effects!

PostPosted: 12/11/04 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Okay... I got one.

Felix the Cat!

hahahaha!

No mention of Mighty Mouse. Or the Mighty Heroes. (1970's)

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/11/04 10:15 pm    ::: Time for a little fun Reply Reply with quote

Who did the voice for Top Cat?

Who did Underdog?

In real life, the man who did the voice of Underdog had a best friend. Who was it?

Mel Blanc provided the voices for many of the Warner Brothers cartoons. What famous Hanna-Barbera character did he voice?

In one Warner Brother's cartoon, Mel Blanc was featured with the voices of some well known celebrities. Who was the main star and what did Mel voice over?

When Mel passed away in 1989, how did Warner Brothers pay tribute to him?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/12/04 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

from your laughter, i'm guessing the movie. hahahahahahahahaha!

Bibb, sometimes you actually DO make me laugh out loud.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/12/04 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Okay... I got one.

Felix the Cat!

hahahaha!

No mention of Mighty Mouse. Or the Mighty Heroes. (1970's)

Uh... let's see... Mighty Mouse. Principle hero of my early youth. When I was 5, I tied a bath towel around my neck and took a dive off a clothes hamper. I mean like I thought I could fly. Seriously. You never forget something like that... the floor, I mean. Came up hard and fast and smacked the little jammer right in the chest like I might as well have run out in front of a bus. Don't tell me TV and cartoons don't influence behavior.

Last words... Mighty Mouse!

sambista

PostPosted: 12/12/04 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there were SO many caped characters back then, i think just about every kid did the towel-around-the-neck thing to be one of them or another.

can't do the cartoon trivia quiz, shy, but i'm pretty sure underdog's voice belonged to wally cox. it was a perfect fit. and if top cat came back today, he could be easily played by garry marshall. i can see the guy who did the voice but don't remember his name.

and now, i KNOW i'm gonna get some nods and grins from these two words:

flash gordon.

PostPosted: 12/12/04 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
there were SO many caped characters back then, i think just about every kid did the towel-around-the-neck thing to be one of them or another.

can't do the cartoon trivia quiz, shy, but i'm pretty sure underdog's voice belonged to wally cox. it was a perfect fit. and if top cat came back today, he could be easily played by garry marshall. i can see the guy who did the voice but don't remember his name.

flash gordon.

Yeah, Wally Cox was all I could come up with in the quiz myself, I figured it would be cheating to look it up Wink I never ran into Flash Gordon for some reason, I definitely watched Zorro and Davy Crockett and Disney on Sundays.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/12/04 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always hated Mighty Mouse for some reason. That and the road runner 'cause I never got it with no words.

I did the towel/cape thing for Batman, myself.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/12/04 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

flash gordon.

Wally Cox was the voice of Underdog. You'd never guess in a million years who his best friend was. It was Marlon Brando.

http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/movies/oct04/269341.asp

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/12/04 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just old enough to remember:

H

O

B

O

K

E double L Y...

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/12/04 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got another one...

Hercules!!!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/12/04 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I've got another one...

Hercules!!!

..hero of ancient glory,
Hercules,
hero of song and story
Fighting with his might!
Fighting for what's right!
it's the song of
Hercules!

(or something like that!)

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/12/04 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was The Flintstones and the Jetsons too obvious to mention? Or Tom and Jerry?

How about...

Herculoids
Johnny Quest
H.R. Puffenstuf
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
Space Ghost
Birdman
Fantastic Four
Spider Man
Iron Man
Hulk
The Jackson Five
The Osmonds
The Archies
Josie and the Pussycats
Sabrina (the OLD series)
The Groovie Ghoolies
The Banana Splits
Fireball XL-5
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet
Frankenstein Jr.
The Brady Bunch
Mr. Science
Land of the Lost
Gilligan's Island
Gilligan's Island in Outer Space
Star Trek
That show that starred Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors as robots
That show that starred Bob Denver as a janitor who gets shot into space with his janitor buddy
Space Academy (Johnathan Harris and Pamelyn Ferdin)

I think I've run out of shows...

pilight

PostPosted: 12/12/04 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:

That show that starred Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors as robots
That show that starred Bob Denver as a janitor who gets shot into space with his janitor buddy

The former is "Way Out Space Nuts", the latter is "The Lost Saucer".

What about Clutch Cargo, the creepy show that had cartoon characters with real lips?

PostPosted: 12/12/04 8:12 pm    ::: Re: Time for a little fun and the answers Reply Reply with quote

Arnold Stang. You might remember him from a lot of films or tv, but you'll recognize him as one of the two desert gas station owners (the little one) in the film, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Who did Underdog?

Wally Cox

In real life, the man who did the voice of Underdog had a best friend. Who was it?

Marlon Brando

Mel Blanc provided the voices for many of the Warner Brothers cartoons. What famous Hanna-Barbera character did he voice?

Barney Rubble

In one Warner Brother's cartoon, Mel Blanc was featured with the voices of some well known celebrities. Who was the main star and what did Mel voice over?

Jack Benny. He along with Mel, Mary Livingstone, Don Wilson and Eddie Anderson (as Rochester) did a cartoon where Jack dreams he and his friends are all mice. In the cartoon, Jack and Mary are driven to a place known as the Kit Kat Club by Rochester. (The cat with swinging doors in his mouth.)

Mel did the voice over for Jack Benny's automobile, "The Maxwell".

When Mel passed away in 1989, how did Warner Brothers pay tribute to him?

With a portrait. It features Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, Tweety, Porky, Pepe Le Pew, Speedy Gonzales, Yosemite Sam and Foghore Legghorn. They are facing an empty microphone and mic stand which is lit with a single spotlight. Their eyes are closed and their heads are bowed.

The title of the print:

"Speechless". It always makes me teary eyed...

http://synthrick.tripod.com/id29.html

pilight

PostPosted: 12/12/04 8:15 pm    ::: Re: Time for a little fun and the answers Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:

Arnold Stang. You might remember him from a lot of films or tv, but you'll recognize him as one of the two desert gas station owners (the little one) in the film, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

He also starred in a film with Arnold Scwarzenegger, Hercules in New York.

PostPosted: 12/12/04 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

land of the lost? was that a real show?

what about land of the giants?

the time tunnel?

lost in space? "danger, will robinson!"

tv back then was so old so quick and so current and yet old. (please don't ask me to explain that!) like "my favorite martian" and "mr. ed," in retrospect, seem so old, but "our miss brooks" - now THAT was some old shit.

"car 54, where are you?" and who could forget "my mother, the car?" what was up with that? did we actually WATCH that?!

PostPosted: 12/12/04 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

the time tunnel?

tv back then was so old so quick and so current and yet old. (please don't ask me to explain that!) like "my favorite martian" and "mr. ed," in retrospect, seem so old, but "our miss brooks" - now THAT was some old shit.

"car 54, where are you?" and who could forget "my mother, the car?" what was up with that? did we actually WATCH that?!

Yeah, Land of the Lost was a real show. I know...my friend went out shopping on purpose to buy the DVD collection of it.

Are we digressing now to live tv? I can pull out my TV tunes tapes and give you a list of old TV shows...

Leave it to Beaver
Beverly Hillbillies
Pettycoat Junction
Green Acres
Julia
Medical Center
Dick Van Dyke Show
The Danny Thomas Show
That Girl
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
The Twilight Show
Mission Impossible
Lassie
Rin Tin Tin
Roy Rogers
The Lone Ranger

Need I go on...

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/12/04 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

the time tunnel?

Bibb, if it was on TV we watched, I don't know about you, but with only 3 Local stations around here, I watched everything I possibly could, I wasn't too picky.

I don't want to be un-PC here, but Amos and Andy was in there too...

We had Shock Theater around here, the Friday Night Horror show, sci-fi, you name it ... they used to play Black Sabbath's first big hit as the theme song, what was that song?

Leave it to Beaver, Dennis the Menace was a little late for me, I was grown up then, probably 7 or 8th grade Wink But, I did sneak a peak every now and then, Mr. Wilson would blow a gasket about every other show, if not more often.

What was that gumby show? I thought it was just stupid...

Jonny Quest and Clutch Cargo ...

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/12/04 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="rebkell

We had Shock Theater around here, the Friday Night Horror show, sci-fi, you name it ... they used to play Black Sabbath's first big hit as the theme song, what was that song?

quote]

Couldn't tell you the B. Sabbath song, but our Friday night tv horror show featured A Night on Bald Mountain as it's theme.

Hey, how about everyone's favorite tv show, the Late, Late Movie...?

sambista

PostPosted: 12/12/04 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we were the tv generation - what can you say? remember that hbo series, "dream on," with brian benben? the opening, where he's sitting there as a kid in his (probably roy rogers) cowboy hat right in front of tv? that was our gen. i mean, tv was THE thing. it spawned tv dinners, for crying out loud. and tv trays, on which to place those swanson tv dinners - which we coveted, especially the dessert, which was usually applesauce or a brownie - in the living room in front of the tv. i cannot fathom what it was like sitting around a radio, LISTENING to shows, probably no more than the generation(s) after ours can fathom how, pre-vcr, we were slaves to tv.

i imagine one day we'll talk about commercials (advertising slogans) of that era - no, now, don't everyone jump in at once - but i gotta tell you, i mentioned the "glo-coat heel mark shield" to my doctor last week, and she looked at me completely clueless.

PostPosted: 12/13/04 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Doublemint twins...

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/13/04 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
[quote="rebkell

quote]

Couldn't tell you the B. Sabbath song, but our Friday night tv horror show featured A Night on Bald Mountain as it's theme.

Hey, how about everyone's favorite tv show, the Late, Late Movie...?

Pittsburgh had a CLASSIC horror show on Saturday nights.

Chiller Theater

From the very early 60s till Saturday Night Live took off it was a double feature and then after SNL became a hit it came on at 1 AM with just one movie.

They got a little crazy with the studio show starting in the 70s but that black ans white 60s show was great. Chilly Billy would walk into the building down a hallway and into the dark studio and sit on a bar stool and tell you about the movies.

Great host and set up and GREAT theme... Al Caiola's version of the Henry Mancini score piece for the film Experiment in Terror. I grew up staying up late on Saturday nights drifting off with that theme coming out of the old one speaker RCA Victor.

Or... later, winter nights alone in my frozen bedroom with a tiny black and white beside the bed... eech... still gives me chills.

I had no idea what that cut was for most of my life and then one time when I was back visiting PA I called the local NBC affiliate where the host of Chiller Theater, Bill Cardille AKA "Chilly Billy" was working as a weather man and got him on the phone and asked him what it was.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 12/13/04 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/13/04 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You all missed the best cartoon of them all, my absolute favorite.

GO SPEED RACER, GO! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: