RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Help Computer People

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/09/04 12:32 pm    ::: Help Computer People Reply Reply with quote

I need a good quality, reasonably priced color inkjet for an office, single user, local hookup.

Recommendations?

sambista

PostPosted: 12/09/04 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i can share my own experiences and those of my colleagues, dts . . .

for the longest, i used epson printers. then i realized i was like buying a new one every year - it never failed that the paper carriage went kaputt. so i said "never again" and bought a canon i850, and it works like a dream. but i also discovered something else: compared to the epsons i'd had, the canon was whisper quiet. i'd accepted that noise al that time as the standard. i think the "c" models from canon are the thing now, doing double duty as pretty decent photo printers as well (if you don't wanna invest in one specifically for that). my i850 has four separate ink cartridges - not a problem for me because i order my ink on ebay from an outfit that sells cartridges for dirt. so personally, my vote is for canon, and you don't have to spend much to get a decent printer these days - no need to go top of the line, unless you have a special need.

at work, based on the bum printers that come back from our bureaus, where they really get a workout, i'd say stay clear of lexmark unless you get a really good deal and a good (replacement) warranty. our workhorses are hp's. from small to mondo, they are low-maintenance, and hp actually has some decent consumer services in place. in fact, we were joking the other day that we have so many really old, OLD hp printers around the place. these are like printers that take those big, honking serial cables (instead of usb), but hey - they're still working, so why not keep 'em till they drop?

beyond that, check cnet.com and zdnet.com for their reviews. zdnet has become much more business-oriented, so i'd check there first.

PostPosted: 12/10/04 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
my i850 has four separate ink cartridges - not a problem for me because i order my ink on ebay from an outfit that sells cartridges for dirt.

Sebibb, could you share the name of this Ebay vendor? I have an HP 940c, and need cartridges.

DTS, another thing that Sebibb mentioned that could affect your decision is the cost of the replacement color cartridges. Nowadays, it's sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new printer with the cartridges, instead of the replacement cartridges alone... there's something wrong with that picture. LOL

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/10/04 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blzntr33s wrote:
sebibb wrote:
my i850 has four separate ink cartridges - not a problem for me because i order my ink on ebay from an outfit that sells cartridges for dirt.

Sebibb, could you share the name of this Ebay vendor? I have an HP 940c, and need cartridges.

DTS, another thing that Sebibb mentioned that could affect your decision is the cost of the replacement color cartridges. Nowadays, it's sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new printer with the cartridges, instead of the replacement cartridges alone... there's something wrong with that picture. LOL

Not if you're HP, it's seems to have worked out perfectly for them, and all the wonderful varieties and styles, you should try to stock them at a retail store, arrrggghhh...

sambista

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blzntr33s wrote:
sebibb wrote:

sure. naturally, i wanted to say the name, but i couldn't remember. i'll look it up and post it when i find it. the first order was via ebay, and i thought it was a mistake: 5 (FIVE!) black cartridges for 12 bucks and change, and that included shipping! when i got five in the mail, i rechecked the auction and discovered it really was for five. i think i've ordered both direct and by auction. the stuff always comes quickly and (so far) hasn't gunked up my machine.

oh! i just remembered, kind of. it's abacus. but there may be a number in the front or back of that. i'll keep looking.

i'm not sure dts has even read any of this, but here's the real key to printers and cartridges, imo: some machines will allow you to continue printing even if you've run out of one color; some don't. the trick is getting an answer to that question before you buy.

PostPosted: 12/11/04 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no wonder i wasn't sure about the name - they operate under several. the ebay handle is abacuspro. this is off their store page:

abacus24-7.com

We also operate under the following Ebay user ID's, please check us out !
Abacus24-7
AbacusInk
AbacusPro
AbacusFree
Abacus-UK (coming soon, for our european customers)
**NEW** AbacusAccents (Quality Jewelry from Abacus)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: