RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hey Bibb
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/08/04 5:05 am    ::: Hey Bibb Reply Reply with quote

Can you get hold of any of the old Mr. Peabody and Sherman cartoons, they were on the Rockie and Bullwinkle show, and some other cartoon shows also.

Sherman was the kid and Mr. Peabody was a dog, they went back in time or something similar to historical events, and it always ended with some gawd-awful pun as the moral of the story.

sambista

PostPosted: 12/08/04 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

are you kidding? i grew up on that stuff! rocky and bullwinkle ("watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!"), boris badinoff and natasha, deputy dawg, yogi bear, huckleberry hound, beanie and cecil (i'm coming, beanie boy!") and, to go way back, heckle and jeckle, who i'm pretty sure now would be politically correct on general principle. (the awful pun as the moral also reminded me of "fractured fables.")

sure, reb, i can get that. lemme just go down in my vault of timeless tv footage and pull that out . . .

but seriously . . . i'm sure this stuff comes on the cartoon channel every now and then, right?

PostPosted: 12/08/04 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How old are you folks? I LOVE IT. At least someone knows the same stuff I grew up with! I used to watch those all the time. Even Beanie and Cecil. I was a Kookla, Fran and Ollie kid, and one of my best friends was on Wonderama when we were little.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/08/04 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rocky and Bullwinkle! Holy Goddess, I grew up watching that stuff- my dad's a big fan. Fractured Fairy Tales, Dudley Do-Right, Mr. Know-It-All, Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman... aw man, good times, good times. Bad puns, but good times.

I don't know if it would help, but we've got a batch of stuff on VHS...

(now with spelling variations)
sambista

PostPosted: 12/08/04 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yup, that was our time. and how could i forget quickdraw mcgraw? and what was the name of that dog that, when he got a bone, he'd start moaning and floating up off the ground? i grew up on shari lewis (and lambchop) songs. "what would you like for dinner tonight? what would hit the spot? you know that you're welcome to most anything we've got!" my brother and i had bunk beds, and we'd "ride" the end frames on top like we were roy rogers and dale evans. while wearing our zorro capes, of course. hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

ahhhhhh, such an innocent time. right before the great awakening. that's why i think "american dreams" is one the best shows on tv. it really, really, REALLY is true to that era. looking back, it's hard to believe what a revolution was occurring, on so many fronts. young people today . . . (i really sound old now, huh?) . . . they just don't get that, how different things were before the civil rights movement, the women's liberation movement, the war protests . . .

okay, but back to cartoons (whew!), queenie, maybe reb can tell us what he's looking for. i don't have a lot of free time, but i could take some vhs snippets and convert them to quicktime video that could be posted and/or downloaded.

PostPosted: 12/08/04 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
yup, that was our time. and how could i forget quickdraw mcgraw? and what was the name of that dog that, when he got a bone, he'd start moaning and floating up off the ground? i grew up on shari lewis (and lambchop) songs. "what would you like for dinner tonight? what would hit the spot? you know that you're welcome to most anything we've got!" my brother and i had bunk beds, and we'd "ride" the end frames on top like we were roy rogers and dale evans. while wearing our zorro capes, of course. hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

ahhhhhh, such an innocent time. right before the great awakening. that's why i think "american dreams" is one the best shows on tv. it really, really, REALLY is true to that era. looking back, it's hard to believe what a revolution was occurring, on so many fronts. young people today . . . (i really sound old now, huh?) . . . they just don't get that, how different things were before the civil rights movement, the women's liberation movement, the war protests . . .

okay, but back to cartoons (whew!), queenie, maybe reb can tell us what he's looking for. i don't have a lot of free time, but i could take some vhs snippets and convert them to quicktime video that could be posted and/or downloaded.

Actually Reb doesn't have a clue what he's looking for, something is rattling around in my head, and it has to do with some of the Admiral's headlines, and it's just disjointed thoughts, but for some reason, Mr. Peabody and those gawd-awful puns, reminded me of Admiral and his headlines, maybe create a forum, Admirals Fractured Headlines or something ... I have no idea, you have to watch me early on, when I get up, no Ritalin and the thought train is running off the tracks..

Don't forget Underdog and Sweet Polly Purebred? Quick Draw McGraw and Deputy Dawg, definitely some of my favorites.

sambista

PostPosted: 12/08/04 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"not bird, nor plane, nor even frog. it's just little old me - underdog!" that's what i call my dog all the time.

huckleberry hound was my fave. i wanna say that bone-loving dog was mutley, but i'm not sure. and i loved boris and natasha, who hated "moose and squddle," to say it phonetically. how was that for some cold war cartooning?

PostPosted: 12/08/04 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
"not bird, nor plane, nor even frog. it's just little old me - underdog!" that's what i call my dog all the time.

huckleberry hound was my fave. i wanna say that bone-loving dog was mutley, but i'm not sure. and i loved boris and natasha, who hated "moose and squddle," to say it phonetically. how was that for some cold war cartooning?

don't forget TC, Top Cat...

sambista

PostPosted: 12/08/04 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

top cat! and all of his beatnik crew! yeah, daddy-o!

PostPosted: 12/10/04 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
top cat! and all of his beatnik crew! yeah, daddy-o!

The indisputable leader of the gang.

If you didn't grab it by now, sorry... too late!

sambista

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

reb, i saw "top cat" on dvd today at circuit city! the complete series, which, to my surprise, was only 30 episodes. wow, two "top cat" references in two days. after how many years?!

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The dog's name was Snufles. He is the predecessor to Mutley who appeared later in several cartoons, most prominately in Penelope Pit Stop's show and Wacky Racers. Mutley was a sidekick to the villians in each show.

http://www.toontracker.com/huck/quickdraw.htm

sambista

PostPosted: 12/10/04 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow, thanks.

baba-looey . . . how could i have forgotten him?

PostPosted: 12/11/04 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
wow, thanks.

How about Woody Woodpecker, didn't he have the artist with him or something on the Woody Woodpecker Show , is that right?

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/11/04 5:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
sebibb wrote:
wow, thanks.

How about Woody Woodpecker, didn't he have the artist with him or something on the Woody Woodpecker Show , is that right?

Yeah, Walter Lantz who drew Woody did have some banter with him on each show. Which was only natural since it was his wife who provided the voice for Woody.

sambista

PostPosted: 12/11/04 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this has now seeped into my dreams because i woke up with a tune in my head. it's not from a cartoon, but you old schoolers should be able to identify it:

"when you least expect it

you're elected

you're the star today

_____! ______ __ ______ ______"

PostPosted: 12/11/04 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...you've been dreaming about Allen Funt, right?

8^)

sambista

PostPosted: 12/11/04 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, let's not get crazy. if i was dreaming about some longtime dead guy, i'd be thinking i'm not getting out enough . . . the TUNE was in my head. but yeah, allen funt, the original reality tv host.

and to think that some of his hijinks were a caution back when.

PostPosted: 12/11/04 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You folks remember a cartoon about an elephant named Sidney? There was a lion who would always say, "Oh no, it's Sidney - stupid elephant!"

pilight

PostPosted: 12/11/04 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lion's name was Stanley.

PostPosted: 12/11/04 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry, slovy. i know it's all relative but, in my book, that is NOT old school! lol!

kukla, fran and ollie . . . howdy doody . . . captain kangaroo . . . now THAT'S old school! you can't go much farther back than that because there was no tv! 'course, i myself wasn't born when tv was born (thankfully), but it seems the advent of tv was geared to adults, not kids. oh, there were those old, OLD nondescript cartoons, but none that i can remember by characters. or they were too racist for me to remember fondly, like the african character with a bone in his nose, being boiled in a pot and shit, but i digress . . .

Last edited by sambista on 12/11/04 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 12/11/04 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1949: Jay Ward, cartoonist, created "Crusader Rabbit." It was the first cartoon made for TV.

PostPosted: 12/11/04 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
sorry, slovy. i know it's all relative but, in my book, that is NOT old school! lol!

kukla, fran and ollie . . . howdy doody . . . captain kangaroo . . . now THAT'S old school! you can't go much farther back than that because there was no tv! 'course, i myself wasn't born when tv was born (thankfully), but it seems the advent of tv was geared to adults, not kids. oh, there were those old, OLD nondescript cartoons, but none that i can remember by characters. or they were too racist for me to remember fondly, like the african character with a bone in his nose, being boiled in a pot and shit, but i digress . . .

You guys are forgetting...

Beanie and Cecil (the Sea Sick Sea Serpent)

sambista

PostPosted: 12/11/04 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no, b&c were already mentioned, guy.

PostPosted: 12/11/04 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay... I got one.

Felix the Cat!

hahahaha!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: