RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MINNESOTA vs CONNECTICUT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumption72

PostPosted: 05/15/05 8:02 am    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
We just got back from the game and are tired-- more perhaps tomorrow morning; since it's a preseason game what you-all want to know is not how out of sync the Lynx offense looked (badly out of sync) or whether it felt like a blowout (it did) or whether Whalen put on a drive-to-the-hoop clinic (she did) or whether Margo is the same old high-post shooter with great defensive rebounding, ability to shut down opponents' post games when she feels like it, and a low energy level (she is) but how the bubble players did.

Sun fans: all the bubble guards (Conlon, Carey, Jen D) looked fine, and all the bubble wings and posts (Summerton, Montanana, Brungo) looked forgettable. I hope the team keeps Conlon and Carey. But I hoped the team would keep Conlon and Strom, so what do I know? Conlon and Lindsay play together quite well. Carey looked aggressive-- she really wants this job. Jen D was the usual: no points, but no mistakes.

Lynx fans: Petra Ujhelyi didn't do anything. Batteast didn't do anything special (although she took one off-balance shot that would have wowed the crowd had it gone in). King Borchardt may be a keeper: she's a vigorous defender, can shoot the three, and has some idea where the ball needs to go. Kristen Mann looked better than our other rookies and didn't lose focus, but the entire offense has systemic problems, and the returning players aren't playing together well, so it's hard to see how anyone would fit into the system-- there isn't a system. Svet shoots when she has the ball. Lassiter shoots or turns the ball over. Amber's decisionmaking has not improved from last year. Harrower never shoots. (Val thought she was jet-lagged.) Butts had a fine game by comparison: she kept her focus and made some tough shots towards the end.

If Batteast and Ujhelyi go, Suzie has to cut one more player to get to 11 +1IR if the IR spot is reserved for Nuria Martinez; I fear that she'll cut King Borchardt, which would give us a point guard rotation of Jacobs, Harrower and nobody. No thank you.

Hayden had an OK game except for the 6 fouls in 19 minutes part, which is a big "except." Towards the end, when Hayden had 5, Taj went to town and shot over or through her on something like three possessions in a row. Not a great introduction to the Lynx for Gopher fans who paid to watch Lindsay, but at least they got to see Lindsay in fine form. Maybe they'll show up when the Sun come back.

I think you pretty much encapsulated the game. Carey is pretty good, but I really wouldn't want to have to choose between the rest of them. I didn't think Conlon was that good, but then I thought Strom should stay, too. Yes, Lindsay put on her show and then some... kind of showed off, a little on the cocky side, even during shoot around. Rolling Eyes It's only year two!

I felt sorry for the Lynx... they had NO rhythm and and seemed to not recognize each other at all. It is hard to believe that Harrower will be their starter. After last night, I would choose Susan King Borchardt, she was really good! I wish the Sun had her. My eyes were focused on the Sun (I have the rest of the summer for the Lynx), but I just couldn't ignore Susan and Vanessa, and even though she fouled out, V was working it against Margo. The Sun really has the chemistry and smiles going on all around.

What is with the stunted game? Why a foul every four seconds? Am I just used to the college game? I thought the college game had more foul calls. What is with the it? It was SO FRUSTRATING! Are the refs trying to teach us all, players and crowd, some lessons? Is it just the pre-season?

Okay... gotta admit... I am a psychostalker. I sat outside in the rain and watched the Sun get on the bus. Taj and Asjha are two of the most gorgeous people on the planet! Surprised Holy free-moley mother of Zeus! Keesh and Brook are no slouches either. They all were so fun to actually 'see' in reality. I am totally hooked. Shoot. I may just have to change my avatar to be more inclusive of my addiction/obsession. Accidentally psychostalked Lindsay's family and some Gopher women's bb players who were waiting for Lindsay while I was waiting for to catch a glimpse of the rest of the Sun. Gotta have priorities, ya know. Overall, it was so nice to see all the familiar players and fans faces again. Very Happy

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/15/05 8:48 am    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:
I think you pretty much encapsulated the game.... I felt sorry for the Lynx... they had NO rhythm and and seemed to not recognize each other at all. It is hard to believe that Harrower will be their starter. After last night, I would choose Susan King Borchardt, she was really good! ...What is with the stunted game? Why a foul every four seconds? Am I just used to the college game? I thought the college game had more foul calls. What is with the it? It was SO FRUSTRATING! Are the refs trying to teach us all, players and crowd, some lessons? Is it just the pre-season? Okay... gotta admit... I am a psychostalker. I sat outside in the rain and watched the Sun get on the bus. Taj and Asjha are two of the most gorgeous people on the planet!

Thanks!

Worth remembering that Harrower and Jacobs tended to see minutes vs. the Sun's starters, King Borchardt vs. the Sun's subs and bubble players; these combinations made King Borchardt look better than she would have in a fair comparison. (For example, she didn't get picked by Margo, because she wasn't often on the floor with Margo; Harrower did, because she was.)

Yes, Taj and Asjha are gorgeous. Taj = also a really admirable, smart person. (Not saying that Asjha isn't-- just that I always learn something from a Taj interview, either about her life or about how to watch the game.)

gopherfan

PostPosted: 05/15/05 9:26 am    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Lindsay put on her show and then some... kind of showed off, a little on the cocky side, even during shoot around. Rolling Eyes It's only year two!

LOL come on you cant say she wasnt cocky during her collage year playing for the gophers. Smile And on a night like that i say why the hell not back home in your arena go for it.

Quote:
Accidentally psychostalked Lindsay's family and some Gopher women's bb players who were waiting for Lindsay while I was waiting for to catch a glimpse of the rest of the Sun. Gotta have priorities, ya know. Overall, it was so nice to see all the familiar players and fans faces again. Very Happy

Laughing psychostalker

Which gopher players were there and Was McCarville there?? Just thought I ask it's not like it couldn't happen. I know when they were showing preview of the game on the news they showed Pam Borton was there and KG and Trent Hassle for the Timber wolves were there at the game.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
gumption72

PostPosted: 05/15/05 9:34 am    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Yes, Taj and Asjha are gorgeous. Taj = also a really admirable, smart person. (Not saying that Asjha isn't-- just that I always learn something from a Taj interview, either about her life or about how to watch the game.)

Throughout the game a lady behind me had some serious hate for Taj, but didn't even know her name. Drove me nuts, because Taj is firmly nestled on my imaginary bobblehead shelf between Yo, and The Lindsay, who is next to Catchings, Mother Theresa and Brett Favre. Taj truly has fun on the court. She was just loose and giggly out there during shoot around and sets the mood for the team. After the game, I turned to my friend and said sheesh, how/why is she dressed so nice? She answered, well, remember, Taj gets to shop in Italy... oh yeah. Must be nice. You can tell, she certainly makes the most of that! I forget that they are all more than just players out there on the court.

Taj is one of those people who has 'come into her own' at a relatively early age, she just seems to have a wise perspective. In my opinion, she is an under appreciated player and person, but not by me. I suppose that goes for other players as well.

gopher5

PostPosted: 05/15/05 11:17 am    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

My impressions of the game for Sun fans:

I would take Maria and Jamie over Jen. Both seemed more comfortable running the team compared to Jen.

I did not notice Anna, Jess, or Laura much. But despite the free throw issues, Laura seemed to do the most of the three (including foul).

As far as the Lynx, they have a lot of work to do before the season opener in a week but at least everyone is in camp now and they can get to work. I would like Susan kept as another option at point. Before the game, I would have picked Tasha and Petra as two of the three final cuts (if they go with 11 + Nuria on the IR). After the game, I would still cut Petra, but Tasha did ok out there. To me, she is the same as Amanda out there but she made a little more happen and did not have the TOs last night that Amanda did. It will be interesting to see who makes the final roster.

gumption72

PostPosted: 05/15/05 11:45 am    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Lindsay put on her show and then some... kind of showed off, a little on the cocky side, even during shoot around. Rolling Eyes It's only year two!

LOL come on you cant say she wasnt cocky during her collage year playing for the gophers. Smile And on a night like that i say why the hell not back home in your arena go for it.

Quote:
Accidentally psychostalked Lindsay's family and some Gopher women's bb players who were waiting for Lindsay while I was waiting for to catch a glimpse of the rest of the Sun. Gotta have priorities, ya know. Overall, it was so nice to see all the familiar players and fans faces again. Very Happy

Laughing psychostalker

Which gopher players were there and Was McCarville there?? Just thought I ask it's not like it couldn't happen. I know when they were showing preview of the game on the news they showed Pam Borton was there and KG and Trent Hassle for the Timber wolves were there at the game.

Wow! I didn't know any Wolves were there. I saw Pam there right in front & center between the benches. She didn't call any plays lol. Did you see LW wave at her a few times? She was mobbed at the end and graciously allowed lots of kids to take photos of her with them in it. When I was waiting around to see the Sun at the end, I saw a bunch a kids in the hall (wasn't that a TV show?) and right there was Schoney (on crutches with her hair died kinda dark, my friend recognized her, I wouldn't have). She was smiling and talking to all the kids, obviously waiting for LW, too. Lindsay's whole family was in and out of that area talking to people and hanging. I never saw Janel, but she played in Charlotte Thursday and will again on Monday, so I don't think she came. I think KG and TH are great supporting the Lynx like they regularly do by showing up at games. Cool. Very Happy

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/15/05 1:35 pm    ::: Re: more on bubble players Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:
Wow! I didn't know any Wolves were there. I saw Pam there right in front & center between the benches. She didn't call any plays lol. Did you see LW wave at her a few times? She was mobbed at the end and graciously allowed lots of kids to take photos of her with them in it. When I was waiting around to see the Sun at the end, I saw a bunch a kids in the hall (wasn't that a TV show?) and right there was Schoney (on crutches with her hair died kinda dark, my friend recognized her, I wouldn't have). She was smiling and talking to all the kids, obviously waiting for LW, too. Lindsay's whole family was in and out of that area talking to people and hanging. I never saw Janel, but she played in Charlotte Thursday and will again on Monday, so I don't think she came. I think KG and TH are great supporting the Lynx like they regularly do by showing up at games. Cool. Very Happy

KG was next to Pam at one point (first row, near Lynx bench) but left early, probably to avoid the press. I didn't see Hassell, but he is a Lynx regular-- last year half the Wolves showed up to Lynx games when they (the Wolves) were in town. Schoney is doing an internship with the Lynx this summer; expect to see her at more games (she was selling stuff to kids and handing out press passes before the game).

I'd be very surprised if Lassiter got cut: Suzie seems to believe strongly in her. (I'm not saying that I do.)

gopher5

PostPosted: 05/15/05 3:56 pm    ::: Re: more on bubble players -Lassiter Reply Reply with quote

I would be surprised if Lassiter was cut too, but Susan is making a case to be on the team. I would be surprised if they keep 11 +2 IR at the start of the season and can't see Mann or Batteast being cut. I know it's possible Batteast is cut, but it seems like they are pretty high on her as well. With Nuria's injury, it sounds like they are keeping her here and starting her on the IR. That leaves the roster looking like this:

1) Katie
2) Amber
3) Kristi
4) Amanda
5) Svet
6) Stacey
7) Jackie
Cool Kristen
9) Tamika
10) Nicole
11) Vanessa
IR - Nuria

Bubble: Tasha, Susan (possibly keep 1 of 2 on IR)

Cut: Petra

gopherfan

PostPosted: 05/15/05 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not get away form the subject but boy I tell ya are little Schoney is a trooper I cant believe she played though all that pain. No every news channel kind of had some little bit different but most was the same if that makes sense lol. Fox 9 new show the highlights of the game and showed KG and TH were there and showed and interview of Lindsay before the game. channel 5 and channel 11 just showed highlights of the game. and channel 4 showed highlights and showed that they interviewed Lindsay after the game. Yea i think there were about 30 people from Whalen side that came and see her play. I heard Kendra Wecker flew out to Kansas the night before the Lynx's played Detroit in Kansas. I was just hoping McCarville would do the same by flying out here to watch the Lynx's vs. sun game and see Whalen play one more time in the barn

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/15/05 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My 2cents; I did not expect the Lynx to look like a well-oiled machine but I didn’t expect as much chaos either.

Some sightings: AC, Trenton Hassle was next to KG. Ha, with the raised floor being behind the bench they half the time had obstructed view seats.

I’m almost sure I saw the Comets asst. Kevin Cook. If he was scouting the Lynx for next Sunday don’t know how much he came away with, ha,ha.

CT fans your line up is set as I’m sure you know. They got plenty of time together on the floor. Taj looks great & was in fine form as always. KT D. & A Jones look in great shape. Marge is, well still large. As for the bench, A Jones, Willingham & Wyckoff are fine & after that it’s a pick ‘em. You all know your team far better then I. All the guards looked fine no stand outs but comfortable & the rest were kind of there I guess.

You had 2 teams at different stages in preseason.
Mikey T. opening day starters saw plenty of time together, out Palmer in large Marge & he could look at a few other combos to see who will stick. SMS was looking to see who wanted a job plus get some projected, late arriving starters some PT. Example at 2nd half tip Sun had their starters out & Lynx started Jacobs, Ohlde, Batteast & someone who @ the gm will have to help me don’t remember the other 2 but it was not an opening day line-up

Anyway, MN was out of synch on both ends as was pretty much covered. On D the score in part resulted from some people playing D & the Sun knocking down contested shots and some not playing D & not rotating or loosing their man. Lynx have been out rebounded in all 3 gms & from last night they’re not putting a body on people. Nobody was to crash the boards Evil or Very Mad That has got to change.

Let see in the 1st half Lass picked up 2 pretty quick fouls & then Battest came in & pick out 2 pretty quick fouls so wasn’t long before Svet got in the gm & brought some energy. Big V stated the gm with 2 monster blocks but also got into some rather early foul trouble so there goes some flow. For me it wasn’t till the 2nd half that a group really looked like they had started flowing & working off of each other and that was the possible starting line-up of AJ, KT., Svet, Tamika & Ohlde. Just when they kind of got a little groove on there were substitutions.

As for guard play, Whalen dictates tempo so well and when she pushes it, the rest of the team either joins in or she will take it to the basket. There were a couple of times off a miss you could see Jacobs wanted to run & push it but no one was really ruunnin so she slowed up instead of pushing the tempo. Not sure if they want her to or not but particularly w/ Svet & Ohlde able to get up the floor I’d like to see the Lynx push it more.

Kristi did look like she just got off the plane to me On D she was stuck in mud. Sun pushing the ball only magnified she looked to have no legs. Not in synch on offense really either. Where Harrower looked to be dragging, Abrosimova & Lovelace had some energy. Now if in a wk or 2 she still looks like she just got off the plane then they have bigger issues. I believe that after cutting the extra players & a wk together and this will be a different team come next wkend then they were last night.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just some other thoughts:

A friend next to me thought Katie looked a little slimmer then he remembers. To me Svet looks like she comes in thinner every yr. I told him to me when you see this players in street cloths they look thinner then they do on court. Anyw Katie looks to be in great shape. She didn’t' have the usual elevation on her jump shots but her form is there. She's hanging more on the perimeter & not driving like a freight train to the basket but I hope that will come back to her in time as the season moves on. Watching her on D her movement was very good and she was able to chase & get through screens. She may not be 100% & may have some discomfort but I’d say she's looked A okay.

I think Margo’s height got to Ohlde till late in the gm. When they had the jump ball Ohlde was smiling as usual going against her. I think her strategy was to jump early & get the ball on the way up so when the ball was tossed she jumped right away & of course the toss was high & as she was on her way down Margo was on her way up & won the tip. Of course she came down smiling shaking her head & teammates laughing at her. I would have liked for her to go at and challenge Margo more then she did. (of course that’s easy for me to say.)

When post players get the ball down low you may see them do 1 maybe 2 counter moves to get to the basket; well late in the gm Ohlde got the ball & went at Margo for once & I think she used like 4 counter moves to get to the hole. Margo was right on top of her & when I thought Nicole needed to pass the ball out she came up w/2 more moves rapid fire to get the shot off. She used all 3 sec but thats how quick she's coming up w/these moves. It was really kind of amazing to see. How post players learn this I don’t know. It must become instinct or second nature but that was pretty cool.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:27 pm    ::: Re: more on bubble players -Lassiter Reply Reply with quote

Lassiter and Mann would make a great backup SF tandem for MIN... From a GM perspective, I'd let King go and just hope she doesn't stay on any team's roster... Maybe pick her up on a 10-day later on or wait for next year. I would still be a shame though... I've watched King for many years in Stanford so I know she can play at least pretty well as a backup. Confused

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/15/05 6:08 pm    ::: Re: more on bubble players -Lassiter Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
I would be surprised if Lassiter was cut too, but Susan is making a case to be on the team. I would be surprised if they keep 11 +2 IR at the start of the season and can't see Mann or Batteast being cut. I know it's possible Batteast is cut, but it seems like they are pretty high on her as well. With Nuria's injury, it sounds like they are keeping her here and starting her on the IR. That leaves the roster looking like this:

1) Katie
2) Amber
3) Kristi
4) Amanda
5) Svet
6) Stacey
7) Jackie
Cool Kristen
9) Tamika
10) Nicole
11) Vanessa
IR - Nuria

Bubble: Tasha, Susan (possibly keep 1 of 2 on IR)

Cut: Petra

G5 I follow your thinking.
I had Ujhelyi 1st off the bus & she was cut this morning.
I was happy to finally see Kristen 'Manny' Mann in person. She's on the bus w/no problem.

Before last night I had Tasha off the bus. But after seeing Batteast last night she is now off & Tasha is back on.

While it might be hard to cut "the steal of the draft" I say let her go. Unlike Manny & Susan who seem more comfortable and are not passive in their play, Batteast is just to unsure of herself, not cofident enough. The other 2 rookies showed a toughness that she seems to be missing. For me even if your a rookie & make mistakes, at least act like you know what your doing, sell yourself. She needs to be w/a team that can give her some time & TLC & I'm not willing to wait for her at the expense of Tasha or Susan.

While I give Butts the edge, I really hope there is some way to fit Mrs Borchart on the roster Idea

Again unlike Jackie, Susan looked comfortable in doing what she had to do. If Nuria ever gets healthy I'd like to see what she could do but I'd really like to have Susan around Very Happy

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 05/16/05 10:19 pm    ::: Our article on the Connecticut Sun at Minnesota Lynx game Reply Reply with quote

I guess it was a happy return for CT guard Lindsay Whalen as the Sun pulled off a victory over the home team Lynx, even though Katie Smith played a great game.

Here is a link to our article if you want to read it.

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/published/pro/a-game-of-two-halves.shtml

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: