RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

writer says "American culture in sexual chaos"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1carol

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
inky wrote:
A question to Seattle fans - anybody else notice a commonality amongst many of Sue Bird's fans? Peculiar, isn't it?

Quote:
Keegan wrote:
They should call the Sue Bird fan club "the Asylum".

Quote:
"birdys#1seatownfan"
whatever, keegan-at least Sue and us other americans know how to truly compete in basketball and win a gold medal.

Aussies are "too soft"-thats why they always get cut and can't make a team-the only thing they can do is get a job for showing how much dentistry is needed to protect those buck toothed girls on the olympic squad.

Quote:
1carol wrote:
Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad Sad
Aussies too soft? Can't make a team? You are forgetting Lauren Jackson & Penny Taylor just to mention the 2 most obvious.
You say *"us other americans know how to truly compete in basketball and win a gold medal"* How dare you have the nerve to place yourself with great basketball players. What's your nationality? Where the hell do you think *us Americans* all came from anyway? We represent the entire world. Denistry or lack of it touches everyone's nationality. It has nothing to do with the ability to play basketball.
You should know better than to mess with Aussies on this board Evil or Very Mad
Or any other nationality for that matter Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
birdys#1seatownfan wrote:
Get a life and tell me something I don't already know piss ant!

I am respected, have a wonderful life & many great friends. If you know better child, why are you saying all that crap that I had to correct you on? You need to stand with your nose in a corner or get spanked Exclamation

sambista

PostPosted: 05/15/05 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cheryleggleston wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
C'mon folks.
Now that we've established Birdy's age we should go easy on the kid.

: )

Age is established? I guess I missed that. So what is it? Confused

i must've missed it, too. judging by the posts, i'd say pre-high school. maybe younger.

birdy, i thought you came here for camaraderie - "I look forward to talking and meeting WNBA fans wherever you all are on this board!" instead, you've been trashing people left and right. what's up with that?

PostPosted: 05/15/05 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
that's why pilight's most correct. because, bottom line, the definitions have blurred over time and, ultimately, we pretty much understood what was being said.

huh? the most i can decipher from this is that you and pilight are devotees of prescriptive grammar/usage. to say that the current meaning and usage of a word is not correct because it wasn't the original seems like futile conservativism to me.

PostPosted: 05/15/05 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that repetitive "huh?" . . . what is that all about? does it mean that you don't get it, or that you refuse to at least respect another person's opinion that isn't in line with your own, an insult or all of the above? these dismissive replies, this obvious disdain . . . it's tired. intellectual elitism and intractability (the modern connotation) - i pass.

"the most i can decipher from this is that you and pilight are devotees of prescriptive grammar/usage. to say that the current meaning and usage of a word is not correct because it wasn't the original seems like futile conservativism to me."

here's my intellectual, elitist, dismissive reply: whatever.

PostPosted: 05/15/05 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
that repetitive "huh?" . . . what is that all about? does it mean that you don't get it, or that you refuse to at least respect another person's opinion that isn't in line with your own, an insult or all of the above? these dismissive replies, this obvious disdain . . . it's tired. intellectual elitism and intractability (the modern connotation) - i pass.

"the most i can decipher from this is that you and pilight are devotees of prescriptive grammar/usage. to say that the current meaning and usage of a word is not correct because it wasn't the original seems like futile conservativism to me."

Wink

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/15/05 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stever,
I need a copy of that gif to email to someone! Where did you get it?

herrade

PostPosted: 05/15/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

honey, i wasn't the one running around correcting folks' grammar/usage. i also wasn't the one picking on the newbie for not understanding. not sure where the elitism comes in here.

having worked as an editor, i've seen all kinds of arguments about prescriptive grammar, split infinitives, you name it... all the barbs people throw at eachother to assert linguistic authority. often times, people would rather engage in such nonsense than actually try to communicate. in my book, all that matters is you make yourself understood.

as for being an intellectual, well... i am. sorry if that offends. if it helps you feel better, the job doesn't pay well. (something about no respect for teachers in this country?) go ahead and accuse me of driving a volvo and eating a sushi. i don't mind.

PostPosted: 05/15/05 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Stever,
I need a copy of that gif to email to someone! Where did you get it?

I got myself one, that will be used over and over again on these boards lol...
Thanks for that, Stever!

BTW, Slovy, you can save it, just right click on it, unless Stever has a bigger version.

PostPosted: 05/15/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
in my book, all that matters is you make yourself understood.

Which you didn't. Birdie thought you meant the more traditional meaning of pabulum.

PostPosted: 05/15/05 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I noticed the error right away but didn't say anything, because I figured the likelihood of confusion was pretty small and I hate being the grammar cop.

yeah. i can tell.

pilight wrote:
Which you didn't. Birdie thought you meant the more traditional meaning of pabulum.

and birdie should be the yardstick of comprehension on a board consisting mostly of adults?

PostPosted: 05/15/05 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(conversation over, post deleted./bibb)

Last edited by sambista on 05/16/05 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
herrade

PostPosted: 05/15/05 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
you've been wearing this intellectual elitism of yours (don't play dumb now, not when the truth is so close to the surface) like some kind of armor, rubbing it in people's noses in the most innocent of threads.

please give me examples. and i'm not playing dumb... i wouldn't dare do that when accused of being an intellectual.

i haven't been posting here that much, so i would assume for it to upset you it must be pretty pervasive.

ps - where did you get your lofty princples?

PostPosted: 05/15/05 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just glad you guys aren't as hard on the foreigners as you are on the natives Embarassed

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: