RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

base closings--DoD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smenko

PostPosted: 05/13/05 10:19 am    ::: base closings--DoD Reply Reply with quote

I just want to say that I am happy. We get to stay in metro-Detroit and cheer on the Shock. For a while there we thought we may have to move to (a) New Jersey; (b) Alabama; or (c) St. Louis, if the gov't closed Detroit Arsenal. All is well and we get to continue to go to Shock games. Phew!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 05/13/05 5:14 pm    ::: Re: base closings--DoD Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy for you!!

I, however, am not very happy. They want to close the Naval Submarine Base in Groton...the largest one on the list. The base employs 10,500 people (tied for second in the state in amount of employees) and puts 1.3 billion dollars each year into the Connecticut economy. The government also wants to close a few other places into the state, thus pushing the total amount of jobs lost up to 20,000+.

Why the government would want to close down a major sub base between New York City and Boston is beyond me. Then again, they have an airbase near the Canadian border they want to close.

smenko

PostPosted: 05/13/05 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a shame, truly! My husband used to work for Electric Boat, we lived in Salem and then in Uncasville. We know the area pretty well and I remember how important the Base is to the local economy. This can be devastating. I'm so sorry.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/14/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
What a shame, truly! My husband used to work for Electric Boat, we lived in Salem and then in Uncasville. We know the area pretty well and I remember how important the Base is to the local economy. This can be devastating. I'm so sorry.

There are whole communities in CT that are going to be almost bankrupt by this; the entire area around the sub base is driven by its existence. It's going to be real bad.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/14/05 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Conn is getting hit worse than anywhere else.

Indianapolis came out gaining jobs:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050514/NEWS01/505140493

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/05 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We lucked out here.

As for bankrupting communities, if it wasn't in Connecticut it would be somewhere else.

It's amusing that this comes at the same time as the announcement of the largest defense spending increase in 20+ years. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/14/05 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to agree pilight; it would have been somewhere else if not CT, but it hurts that's for sure.

By the way, let me say 56k sucks! I'm on vaca in South Carolina on a modem and it bites!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: