RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Summitt Rule defeated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/29/05 5:28 am    ::: Summitt Rule defeated Reply Reply with quote

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11517507.htm

Summitt, the Tennessee head coach, is a player-personnel consultant for the WNBA's Washington Mystics. So she will be able to maintain that position, and college coaches who do television commentary for WNBA games can continue doing that.

PostPosted: 04/29/05 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Board approved all but one of the proposals by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association that were passed by the Management Council earlier this month. The only proposal that didn't get final approval was the so-called “Pat Summitt rule,” which would have prevented college coaches from working for any professional women's basketball team or league except as players.

I never did understand the logic of preventing coaches from working as analysts or consultants while leaving the door open to coaches to play. Was the proposal more comprehensive in its restrictions when conceived? It sounded like one of those halfway measures amended to please more that ended up pleasing fewer.

Quote:
TITLE IX: The Board also sent a strong rebuke to the Department of Education, which in March issued a “clarification” of Title IX compliance. It allows schools to gauge female students' interest in athletics through e-mail surveys, and then further allows a “lack of response” to dictate policy in regard to women's athletics.

The Board said this move does not support the “spirit” of Title IX, nor is it in compliance with the law. The NCAA is urging all its member institutions to not use such surveys.

Amen.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/30/05 11:47 am    ::: it was confusing Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
I never did understand the logic of preventing coaches from working as analysts or consultants while leaving the door open to coaches to play. Was the proposal more comprehensive in its restrictions when conceived? It sounded like one of those halfway measures amended to please more that ended up pleasing fewer.

When the proposal first came out people thought it would ban players too: apparently it never did, but the WBCA did a terrible job of explaining the proposal on its website, so people thought it did.

The idea, I think, was: (a) coaches who manage or announce or otherwise work for pro teams get an unfair advantage in recruiting, because HS players think the coaches have an "in" with the pro team; but (b) the WNBA is a good thing and banning coaches from playing would hurt the W (both in player quality and in exposure) more than it would help level the recruiting playing field, so a ban on "involvement" ought to exempt players.

I would like to ban college coaches from making player-personnel decisions for pro teams, i.e. ban them from work as GMs or coaches, or pseudo-GMs, in the W. Any job not involving player-personnel decisions seems fine. (Geno does color commentary for some televised Sun games. He's great at it, too.)

Do Mystics fans actually like the work Summitt has done in player-personnel decisions for their team? Does she even want to continue in that role?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/02/05 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to ban college coaches from making player-personnel decisions for pro teams, i.e. ban them from work as GMs or coaches, or pseudo-GMs, in the W. Any job not involving player-personnel decisions seems fine.

Agreed. It avoids the appearance of impropriety.

Did Pat Summitt not draft Michelle Snow because of the perceived bias or because of talent? Mystics fans might want to know.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/02/05 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or because of inside knowledge about work ethic?

There are all sorts of possibilities when a coach is making these decisions.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 05/10/05 2:32 pm    ::: WBCA Summary Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see a list of the proposed/adopted changes until now... just the summitt rule being defeated, so ignore this if it's been mentioned before. Here is a summary of recruiting changes put together by the WBCA.

http://www.wbca.org/upload/WBCARAProposalsFinalBOD04282005.pdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: