RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Since Episode III is coming soon...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:42 am    ::: Since Episode III is coming soon... Reply Reply with quote

I watched Return of the Jedi over the weekend, wanting to see if I disliked it as much as I did when it first came out.

It started well, the whole saving Han Solo from Jabba the Hut sequence was strong. Luke returns to Yoda's place just in time for the Jedi master's death, which is a little overwrought but OK. We find out that the Empire is building another Death Star, logical to me since the first one would still be around if they had put a U-bend in that one duct, and we meet the emperor himself, who is suitably creepy.

Then comes the assault on the not quite completed Death Star, which comes in three parts. There's the space battle, which is still spectacular even 20+ years later. Secondly there's the battle of wills, and then light sabers, between Luke and Darth Vader on the Death Star. The fight is well choreographed and Luke's angst leading up to the risky decision to use his light saber is exceptionally dramatic given the type of film this is. The third part occurs on the planet that the Death Star is orbiting, with Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and the droids trying to knock out the shield generator that's protecting the Death Star until its completion. They are assisted by the planet's native inhabitants, small furry creatures called Ewoks, and that's where the film breaks down. When these cute little Teddy Bear looking things start taking out Storm Troopers using wooden spears and rocks, the suspension of disbelief snaps and the rest of the film suffers as a result.

In all, though, I liked it better than I did back when I was a jaded teenager seeing it the first time. It's a terrific film despite the Ewoks, weaker than the first two but a must see.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My dad has a paper weight entitled "Revenge of the Jedi," which was the original title, IIRC...but was changed because a Jedi does not seek revenge.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The title was changed before release, but it was Revenge before being changed to Return.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're eagerly awaiting the sci-fi event of the year.

Last edited by bluewolfvii on 05/09/05 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/09/05 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, not this crew...

This crew.

http://www.serenitymovie.com/

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/09/05 11:31 am    ::: Re: Since Episode III is coming soon... Reply Reply with quote

I watched it on TV yesterday.

I didn't mind the Ewoks - They thought C3P0 was a god - lol!

I think the part that was really stupid was Princess Leia's outfit during and just after being held captive by Jabba. I understand the marketing (gratuitous sex and all that) but I felt like I was watching "The Dukes Of Tattoine"
I was expecting them to start running moonshine in the Millenium Falcon.

Then it gets even worse - It turns into a freaking pirate movie.

Walking the plank?

Puh-lease!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/09/05 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, the Ewoks are cute, but that really breaks up the intensity of the movie. From Episode IV to VI this is my least favorite one and I think we can all agree that The Empire Strikes Back (which is as old as I am lol) is the best, unless the Revenge of the Sith really is something else.
I liked what I saw in the trailers and I also liked that it was rated PG-13. That means at least Lucas is trying to tell the story as it was meant to be.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I think we can all agree that The Empire Strikes Back (which is as old as I am lol) is the best

I can't go for that. No can do.

The first one, A New Hope, is the best. I'm still pissed at Lucas for not giving us the option of the original version on the DVD.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked the first two the best - about equally.

I didn't see episode II (Episode I was so bad, I didn't bother...)

The one coming up looks pretty good.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/09/05 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Yes, the Ewoks are cute, but that really breaks up the intensity of the movie. From Episode IV to VI this is my least favorite one and I think we can all agree that The Empire Strikes Back (which is as old as I am lol) is the best, unless the Revenge of the Sith really is something else.

The thing that broke up the intensity in Episode VI for me was the unimpressive space battles scripted for the final sequences. Instead of the memorable large and small ship to ship combat in IV and V, you have a lot of fighters flying in a straight line, shooting lasers from a long distance and seeing the target disappear in a small explosion, with little to no dialogue.

As for the capital ships, the Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari Cruisers didn't even engage each other! Shocked It was as if the Rebel Fleet was just there for 'moral support'... Confused

Here, try this Arrow

Quote:
Take our trivia quiz and find out if you’re a true Jedi master or just a scruffy nerf-herder.

9. Before the title of the 1983 installment of "Star Wars" was officially announced as "Return Of The Jedi," a different, incorrect title (rumored to be leaked on purpose by Lucasfilm to deter bootleggers) made the rounds. What was it?

A. "Star Wars: The One Where The Empire Gets Defeated And The Good Guys Win — Oh, Sorry, That Kind Of Spoils The Ending ... Hey, Come On Down And See The Movie Anyway! Love, George Lucas"

B. "Star Wars: Yes, That Is A Lightsaber In My Pocket, And Yes, I’m Happy To See You"

C. "Star Wars: The Wrath Of Khan"

D. "Star Wars: Revenge Of The Jedi"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7793319/?CM=StarWarsMap&CE=linkNext

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: