RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Caitlin Clark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 1079



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/07/24 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



_________________
Queen Yuna!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
huskiemaniac



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 1061
Location: NE CT


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/08/24 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



Interesting stat re: guards voted as MVP. i think MVP is a probable trajectory for CC.

Speaking of firsts- Reese first ever W player to have 13 consecutive DubDubs. 28 years, how many 1000s of players? Only 1 player, ever. Rookie or not. Wink


In response to ex-ref: Seriously, I don't care who wins ROY. I would vote for Clark right now.

When the face wave shit went down, I was all in on Team Clark. I differentiated their actions by the fact that while the act was the same, Clark did hers toward her bench as she approached her bench, while Reese did it in Clark's face, during the game, and actually stalked her around the court. Personally, I don't care for either action, but Reese's was clearly over the top disrespectful/taunting.

But since then, the ClarkMania avalanche, especially the whole Clark-as-poor-little-victim getting beat up by the mean black lesbians hysteria, has motivated me to give some counter balance to the hype.

Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?

Clark first rookie triple-double. Cool.
Reese first anyone 13 straight double-doubles. Cool.


boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 1079



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/08/24 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



Interesting stat re: guards voted as MVP. i think MVP is a probable trajectory for CC.

Speaking of firsts- Reese first ever W player to have 13 consecutive DubDubs. 28 years, how many 1000s of players? Only 1 player, ever. Rookie or not. Wink


In response to ex-ref: Seriously, I don't care who wins ROY. I would vote for Clark right now.

When the face wave shit went down, I was all in on Team Clark. I differentiated their actions by the fact that while the act was the same, Clark did hers toward her bench as she approached her bench, while Reese did it in Clark's face, during the game, and actually stalked her around the court. Personally, I don't care for either action, but Reese's was clearly over the top disrespectful/taunting.

But since then, the ClarkMania avalanche, especially the whole Clark-as-poor-little-victim getting beat up by the mean black lesbians hysteria, has motivated me to give some counter balance to the hype.

Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?

Clark first rookie triple-double. Cool.
Reese first anyone 13 straight double-doubles. Cool.


Regarding Thomas neck slammed Reese? You didn't see Bonner's post? They were accusations of domestic violence against Thomas by Angel stans. Bonner had to defend her partner.

I don't care about the double-double. I mean Sabonis did it in the NBA 77 straight times and NO ONE CARES. Laughing

Triple double on the other hand is more difficult. Like every WNBA old head have said, that registering an assist in the WNBA is hard. That guards will have more diffult transition from college to pros. Laughing



_________________
Queen Yuna!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 24446
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/08/24 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of the problem guards always had winning MVP was the statistical profile. Candidates are always going to be the ones who score lots of points, but bigs naturally came with lots of rebounds as well (and often a fair few blocks). Scoring guards would usually just have a few boards or a few assists, maybe both.

The way the game's changed to a certain extent evens things up a bit. Guards like Ionescu and Clark are scorers who stuff the stat sheet elsewhere as well, and the massive swell in triple-doubles we've had in recent years (even beyond Alyssa Thomas) shows how different types of players can add a bunch of rebounds or assists. I think we're more set up for a guard to be able to win MVP than we've been in a long time, and the main thing in the way at this point is how damn good the likes of Wilson, Stewart, Thomas, Collier etc. are.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Michael



Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 664



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



1. There was a lot of outrage over the neck slam
2 it at least started as a basketball play, not a blind side cheap shot with the ball not even in play
3.Thomas got pitched from the game for the foul on Reese, Carter did not even get a flagrant foul in the game, but from the front office after.

Interesting stat re: guards voted as MVP. i think MVP is a probable trajectory for CC.

Speaking of firsts- Reese first ever W player to have 13 consecutive DubDubs. 28 years, how many 1000s of players? Only 1 player, ever. Rookie or not. Wink


In response to ex-ref: Seriously, I don't care who wins ROY. I would vote for Clark right now.

When the face wave shit went down, I was all in on Team Clark. I differentiated their actions by the fact that while the act was the same, Clark did hers toward her bench as she approached her bench, while Reese did it in Clark's face, during the game, and actually stalked her around the court. Personally, I don't care for either action, but Reese's was clearly over the top disrespectful/taunting.

But since then, the ClarkMania avalanche, especially the whole Clark-as-poor-little-victim getting beat up by the mean black lesbians hysteria, has motivated me to give some counter balance to the hype.

Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?

Clark first rookie triple-double. Cool.
Reese first anyone 13 straight double-doubles. Cool.



_________________
Michael
huskiemaniac



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 1061
Location: NE CT


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



Interesting stat re: guards voted as MVP. i think MVP is a probable trajectory for CC.

Speaking of firsts- Reese first ever W player to have 13 consecutive DubDubs. 28 years, how many 1000s of players? Only 1 player, ever. Rookie or not. Wink


In response to ex-ref: Seriously, I don't care who wins ROY. I would vote for Clark right now.

When the face wave shit went down, I was all in on Team Clark. I differentiated their actions by the fact that while the act was the same, Clark did hers toward her bench as she approached her bench, while Reese did it in Clark's face, during the game, and actually stalked her around the court. Personally, I don't care for either action, but Reese's was clearly over the top disrespectful/taunting.

But since then, the ClarkMania avalanche, especially the whole Clark-as-poor-little-victim getting beat up by the mean black lesbians hysteria, has motivated me to give some counter balance to the hype.

Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?

Clark first rookie triple-double. Cool.
Reese first anyone 13 straight double-doubles. Cool.


Regarding Thomas neck slammed Reese? You didn't see Bonner's post? They were accusations of domestic violence against Thomas by Angel stans. Bonner had to defend her partner.

I don't care about the double-double. I mean Sabonis did it in the NBA 77 straight times and NO ONE CARES. Laughing

Triple double on the other hand is more difficult. Like every WNBA old head have said, that registering an assist in the WNBA is hard. That guards will have more diffult transition from college to pros. Laughing



My perspective is from observing national, established sports media, not personal social media posts. There was no comparison in coverage- dare I say outrage- of the two incidents. Not even close.

Not sure why you're bringing NBA stats into the discussion re dub-dubs. (an attempt to diminish Reese's record and, by default, inflate Clark's?)

Angel Reese is the only player, ever, out of the 1000s of W players in 28 yrs, to do it 13 consecutive games, breaking the record of that journeyman player, CP3. Laughing

Triple doubles are, obviously, much more commonplace.


boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 1079



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



Interesting stat re: guards voted as MVP. i think MVP is a probable trajectory for CC.

Speaking of firsts- Reese first ever W player to have 13 consecutive DubDubs. 28 years, how many 1000s of players? Only 1 player, ever. Rookie or not. Wink


In response to ex-ref: Seriously, I don't care who wins ROY. I would vote for Clark right now.

When the face wave shit went down, I was all in on Team Clark. I differentiated their actions by the fact that while the act was the same, Clark did hers toward her bench as she approached her bench, while Reese did it in Clark's face, during the game, and actually stalked her around the court. Personally, I don't care for either action, but Reese's was clearly over the top disrespectful/taunting.

But since then, the ClarkMania avalanche, especially the whole Clark-as-poor-little-victim getting beat up by the mean black lesbians hysteria, has motivated me to give some counter balance to the hype.

Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?

Clark first rookie triple-double. Cool.
Reese first anyone 13 straight double-doubles. Cool.


Regarding Thomas neck slammed Reese? You didn't see Bonner's post? They were accusations of domestic violence against Thomas by Angel stans. Bonner had to defend her partner.

I don't care about the double-double. I mean Sabonis did it in the NBA 77 straight times and NO ONE CARES. Laughing

Triple double on the other hand is more difficult. Like every WNBA old head have said, that registering an assist in the WNBA is hard. That guards will have more diffult transition from college to pros. Laughing



My perspective is from observing national, established sports media, not personal social media posts. There was no comparison in coverage- dare I say outrage- of the two incidents. Not even close.

Not sure why you're bringing NBA stats into the discussion re dub-dubs. (an attempt to diminish Reese's record and, by default, inflate Clark's?)

Angel Reese is the only player, ever, out of the 1000s of W players in 28 yrs, to do it 13 consecutive games, breaking the record of that journeyman player, CP3. Laughing

Triple doubles are, obviously, much more commonplace.


The fact that Bonner went to Twitter/X and addressed the situation defending her partner from the accusations of domestic violence is a proof. You should be happy that it wasn't getting the media coverage because it was vile and ridiculous. And Thomas was ejected in that game. Carter was only called for a normal foul.

I have to bring up the NBA because it's inevitable not compare it. Sabonis had 77 straight double-double but no one cares. Laughing

Clark is the only rookie to ever did a triple double in all what 996 players? You know how hard it is to accomplish a triple double for a point guard?



_________________
Queen Yuna!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 16452
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:


Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?



These things are not close to being the same.

Thomas hit Reese during play and was immediately ejected for it.

Carter yelled at Clark that she was a bitch before blindside knocking her to the ground during a dead ball. It wasn't during play, and she wasn't ejected.

Was the media coverage of Carter's hit on Clark ridiculous? Absolutely. But there is no comparison between how the two situations played out in the game.




Last edited by PUmatty on 07/09/24 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 11285



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA games are 20% longer than WNBA games, thus counting stats are 20% easier to accumulate. Comparing the achievement to Sabonis is meaningless unless you go through all those 77 games and adjust the totals downward by 20%.

Angel Reese is a very good player. So is Caitlin Clark.

The race issue will never go away, especially in our racially turbocharged culture, here and around the world.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 7484
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Clark is going to be a future MVP in this league which is remarkable because DT is the last guard ever to win this award. I mean this stat is crazy...

https://x.com/leighlew3/status/1809948731841622525

And if she loses ROY, that's okay. Reese is having a terrific rookie season as well. I know people on social media will debate this topic like forever. Just like when she lost NPOY in her freshman year against Paige who also deserved to win it.

First ever rookie to register a triple double. 28 years, 996 players. Only one rookie ever. Cool



Interesting stat re: guards voted as MVP. i think MVP is a probable trajectory for CC.

Speaking of firsts- Reese first ever W player to have 13 consecutive DubDubs. 28 years, how many 1000s of players? Only 1 player, ever. Rookie or not. Wink


In response to ex-ref: Seriously, I don't care who wins ROY. I would vote for Clark right now.

When the face wave shit went down, I was all in on Team Clark. I differentiated their actions by the fact that while the act was the same, Clark did hers toward her bench as she approached her bench, while Reese did it in Clark's face, during the game, and actually stalked her around the court. Personally, I don't care for either action, but Reese's was clearly over the top disrespectful/taunting.

But since then, the ClarkMania avalanche, especially the whole Clark-as-poor-little-victim getting beat up by the mean black lesbians hysteria, has motivated me to give some counter balance to the hype.

Thus, when the Carter shove of Clark was given moon-landing coverage, I ask where is the media when Thomas neck-slammed Reese?

Clark first rookie triple-double. Cool.
Reese first anyone 13 straight double-doubles. Cool.


Regarding Thomas neck slammed Reese? You didn't see Bonner's post? They were accusations of domestic violence against Thomas by Angel stans. Bonner had to defend her partner.

I don't care about the double-double. I mean Sabonis did it in the NBA 77 straight times and NO ONE CARES. Laughing

Triple double on the other hand is more difficult. Like every WNBA old head have said, that registering an assist in the WNBA is hard. That guards will have more diffult transition from college to pros. Laughing



My perspective is from observing national, established sports media, not personal social media posts. There was no comparison in coverage- dare I say outrage- of the two incidents. Not even close.

Not sure why you're bringing NBA stats into the discussion re dub-dubs. (an attempt to diminish Reese's record and, by default, inflate Clark's?)

Angel Reese is the only player, ever, out of the 1000s of W players in 28 yrs, to do it 13 consecutive games, breaking the record of that journeyman player, CP3. Laughing

Triple doubles are, obviously, much more commonplace.


Thank you HM for giving voice to how many of us long time WBB fans are feeling. We are loving BOTH CC and AR for their accomplshments and for how they're bringing more fans in the stands, which will elevate the pay of ALL women playing professional bball. We long time fans have seen many great players, great teams, great coaches. We know how CC & AR fit into growing the history of this game and appreciate both of them.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 19922



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Carter and Thomas’ actions were inexcusable.

I’ve seen people defend Carter’s play because CC was chirping on the play before. Not an excuse to blindside a player. That was dirty AF and a terrible look for Carter, who has had a great season otherwise. She needs to work to amend her reputation in the league, and that wasn’t it.

Thomas’s play on Angel was ridiculous and could have REALLY hurt her. You can not drag someone down by their neck, and it happening during the game doesn’t make it better. Alyssa Thomas often gets an excuse because she “plays hard,” but that was ridiculous.

And it’s true that people were far more outraged at what happened to CC, but I think that has to do with the narrative being driven. IMO, the Phoenix and Aces games cooled that narrative down, and Reese and Clark’s recent record setting play has brought the convo back where it should be - on the play.

One thing I’m really hoping for with Clark (and Paige and Juju soon), is that the guard narrative shifts. The WNBA has always undervalued the guards importance because of statistics. DT had to destroy the league in scoring for her to get an MVP, and she’s the only guard to do it in the past twenty years. Meanwhile, it is guard play that tends to be more marketable (in both women’s and men’s basketball), and the importance of guard play can’t be overlooked (see the Aces without Gray).



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 16452
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:


Thomas’s play on Angel was ridiculous and could have REALLY hurt her. You can not drag someone down by their neck, and it happening during the game doesn’t make it better. Alyssa Thomas often gets an excuse because she “plays hard,” but that was ridiculous.


And Thomas was rightly ejected for it. The other big difference between the two.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 24446
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:


Thomas’s play on Angel was ridiculous and could have REALLY hurt her. You can not drag someone down by their neck, and it happening during the game doesn’t make it better. Alyssa Thomas often gets an excuse because she “plays hard,” but that was ridiculous.


And Thomas was rightly ejected for it. The other big difference between the two.

I honestly didn't think it was nearly as bad as mercfan3 (and many others) felt it was. Reese initiates the contact (as she virtually always does) by coming in from behind and planting her forearm into Thomas's back to set up for the fight for the rebound. Then Thomas swings her arm back to try to box out (and because she didn't particularly appreciate the shove in her back) and because of the angle created by her crouch (partly to box out, partly because of Reese's shove) she ends up hitting Reese's neck/throat area. Obviously it looked bad, and Thomas did not try very hard to avoid continuing to push Reese away by her neck after that was where her hand made contact (and was utterly unapologetic afterwards, too), but I thought the point of contact was largely inadvertent. Outside of the inevitably obnoxious backlash, I wouldn't have been upset at it being an F1 rather than an F2.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 64086



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What an utter load of crap.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 19922



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:


Thomas’s play on Angel was ridiculous and could have REALLY hurt her. You can not drag someone down by their neck, and it happening during the game doesn’t make it better. Alyssa Thomas often gets an excuse because she “plays hard,” but that was ridiculous.


And Thomas was rightly ejected for it. The other big difference between the two.


I wouldn’t have had an issue with Carter being ejected for it either. Surprising a player the way she did can be dangerous.

That being said, I do think Thomas’ action was more dangerous, but both vets should have been better.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 16452
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What an utter load of crap.


Thanks for the great contribution to the conversation.


huskiemaniac



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 1061
Location: NE CT


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA double-double "comparison" reminds me of people who pooh-pooh a dunk in the W with "big deal, it happens 100 times/night in the NBA".

I would've applauded the official if Carter had been tossed. I'm very so-called old school when it comes to on-court behavior. I hate how the players have become drama queens. To give you an idea of how old-time I am, I would hand out Ts for any player who points the direction of possession after the ball goes out of bounds. That would end that shit quickly. Ts for shouting "and 1!!!!!!!!" Ts for bitching about fouls not called/called. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm not sure I'm buying that it's more difficult for a PG to get a triple-double. Clark is more a combo guard anyway and dominates the ball, so points/assists are hers to get, and the way she sloughs off on D allows her to go after a lot of rebounds. She's a very good rebounding guard and I like her physicality.

Overall, as RAF says, we've seen a lot of growth. It's great, and greatly appreciated.

But, I still want the x's and o's on the shows that dissect NBA and NFL games to death.

Btw, I heard an espn radio sports show HOST say: "I wish we could cover the actual [WNBA] games, but there's all this other [Clark/Reese] stuff."

Smh.


Anitta Subpoena



Joined: 18 Jun 2024
Posts: 18
Location: Courthouse


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Btw, I heard an espn radio sports show HOST say: "I wish we could cover the actual [WNBA] games, but there's all this other [Clark/Reese] stuff."

Smh.


That pisses me off too. I've listened to the Michael Kay show for a while now and anytime the W is brought up, one of the hosts (usually Michael or Don) go on a rant about how the game needs more eyes in order for it to be a topic of discussion. Well there's more eyes now yet when it is brought up there's the excuse (by the same dudes) that they aren't interested in the sport so they don't watch and therefore can't give much to a discussion about the sport. The Libs were in the Finals last year and I recall it being brought up once (the day of their loss that won it for the Aces).

There are tons of talented players in the W that warrant discussion and the eyes are on the league now thanks to Jesu...I mean CC



_________________
👩🏿‍⚖️ Electric Chair! 💺


Last edited by Anitta Subpoena on 07/09/24 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 16452
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Btw, I heard an espn radio sports show HOST say: "I wish we could cover the actual [WNBA] games, but there's all this other [Clark/Reese] stuff."

Smh.


Welcome to contemporary sports coverage. I read an article today about a tennis player's girlfriend posting and deleting an Instagram post during a game that some people were upset about, and then that the opponent of her boyfriend was upset about how some people were cheering. It took about seven paragraphs to get to who actually had one the match.

It's worse when you have websites "reporting" on they way people are commenting on social media as if that is news, and then AI generated content farms pick up those stories and repackage them. So you get "news" on Twitter and Facebook with headlines like "Fans outraged by Angel Reese press conference," but when you read it, it's like two people tweeting nonsense. But it looks huge because the same story then shows up over and over.

It's not just the WNBA - far from it.


threadkiller1201



Joined: 19 Sep 2005
Posts: 448



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About the Alyssa Thomas flagrant foul. I remember earlier in that game Angel had been thrown to the ground twice (under the basket) by Thomas and no foul was even called! IMO considering what had gone on before the third time looked like an escalation of the conflict and I wasn't surprised at the time it was called a Flagrant 2. JMO.


boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 1079



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/24 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
NBA games are 20% longer than WNBA games, thus counting stats are 20% easier to accumulate. Comparing the achievement to Sabonis is meaningless unless you go through all those 77 games and adjust the totals downward by 20%.

Angel Reese is a very good player. So is Caitlin Clark.

The race issue will never go away, especially in our racially turbocharged culture, here and around the world.


Again, getting 13th straight double double is great but there's nothing difficult about it while making a triple double is harder because you have to rely from your teammates to convert the passing. That's why the NBA never celebrated it. I give you an example about Sabonis and even Andre Drummond.

Only in the WNBA that a point guard is getting undervalued because of the obsession of BIG players getting rebounds.

American sports media/fans are so dramatic and narrative driven.

And I'm Asian maybe I just don't understand it. I just want to watch sports in peace.



_________________
Queen Yuna!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 22068



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/10/24 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
ClayK wrote:
NBA games are 20% longer than WNBA games, thus counting stats are 20% easier to accumulate. Comparing the achievement to Sabonis is meaningless unless you go through all those 77 games and adjust the totals downward by 20%.

Angel Reese is a very good player. So is Caitlin Clark.

The race issue will never go away, especially in our racially turbocharged culture, here and around the world.


Again, getting 13th straight double double is great but there's nothing difficult about it

Yeah, it's so easy that no one in the history of the league has done it before!

I don't understand why people try to de-value an achievement like this.
Reeks of nastiness/lowness to me.



_________________
Thanks for calling. I wait all night for calls like these.
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 1079



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/10/24 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
ClayK wrote:
NBA games are 20% longer than WNBA games, thus counting stats are 20% easier to accumulate. Comparing the achievement to Sabonis is meaningless unless you go through all those 77 games and adjust the totals downward by 20%.

Angel Reese is a very good player. So is Caitlin Clark.

The race issue will never go away, especially in our racially turbocharged culture, here and around the world.


Again, getting 13th straight double double is great but there's nothing difficult about it


Yeah, it's so easy that no one in the history of the league has done it before!

I don't understand why people try to de-value an achievement like this.
Reeks of nastiness/lowness to me.


Well, not 13th straight obviously but rookies did achieve a double-double once in their careers that's my point.

De-value? Reese won player of the week and although I preferred Clark because Indiana beat the number 1 team in the W with a triple double, Reese deserved this award because she has a phenomenal week and I already said her record is a great achievement.

Like what I said, I preferred the triple double because it's more difficult, aka the passing/assist part.

Nastiness? Lowness? Is there anything personal of what I said? Just because I disagree? Look how this board undervalues the triple double by the rookie PG. NO rookie ever registered it in history (first time) but still implying it as easy.



_________________
Queen Yuna!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 19922



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/10/24 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
ClayK wrote:
NBA games are 20% longer than WNBA games, thus counting stats are 20% easier to accumulate. Comparing the achievement to Sabonis is meaningless unless you go through all those 77 games and adjust the totals downward by 20%.

Angel Reese is a very good player. So is Caitlin Clark.

The race issue will never go away, especially in our racially turbocharged culture, here and around the world.


Again, getting 13th straight double double is great but there's nothing difficult about it


Yeah, it's so easy that no one in the history of the league has done it before!

I don't understand why people try to de-value an achievement like this.
Reeks of nastiness/lowness to me.


Well, not 13th straight obviously but rookies did achieve a double-double once in their careers that's my point.

De-value? Reese won player of the week and although I preferred Clark because Indiana beat the number 1 team in the W with a triple double, Reese deserved this award because she has a phenomenal week and I already said her record is a great achievement.

Like what I said, I preferred the triple double because it's more difficult, aka the passing/assist part.

Nastiness? Lowness? Is there anything personal of what I said? Just because I disagree? Look how this board undervalues the triple double by the rookie PG. NO rookie ever registered it in history (first time) but still implying it as easy.


A triple double is harder to get than a double double, but it isn’t harder to get than 13 straight double doubles.

I do think this fascination with these types of stats are frustrating. If Clark had 30, 9, and 9, it would have been a far better game than this triple double. And she dominated that second half - if she had two less rebounds it wouldn’t have made her game worse.

To further my point..rank these players.

Westbrook, Harden, Jordan.

Now rank them in order of how many triple doubles they’ve had. 😂



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 11285



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/10/24 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The triple-double and other such "achievements" are statistical artifacts.

If a player gets 10, 10 and 10, is that more valuable than 30, 17 and 9?

Such stats, however, are easy to come up with -- "the first player to have 17 points on eight field goals while grabbing 17 rebounds and playing in her 17th straight game with at least eight points" -- and give broadcasters something to talk about and casual fans something to grab onto.

They're fine, but are taken too seriously.

And it would be great if there were more serious analysis of the games. The WNBA is still focused on "stories" instead. The Next, for example, produces plenty of stories talking about how "important" a certain player is and gets lots of fluff quotes (the one on Dana Evans comes to mind) and then the player disappears to the bench.

There are seldom stories about why changes need to be made and what combination of positives and negatives result in Evans, say, not playing.

There's still too much puppies and rainbows and not enough "she's a horrid defender who never passes the ball and if Team X has to play her, they're in trouble."



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin